• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any megatokyo readers.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I recently read the entire archives, took me better part of 8 hours. I like it alot. It has some many different layers to it. You could speculate on it for hours. They released a new poster called Broken Miho at thinkgeek, Its astoundingly detailed. I think I'll have to get one'a'those.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hai!

As if you couldn't tell from my avatar...
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Definatly a fan. It has some of the quirckiest ideas that I find hard not enjoying, I love Rent-a-Zilla. It is also the strongest case that Americans can make good manga like comics.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:29 am Reply with quote
Megatokyo's pretty good. I was able to track down the book and it was a great read. I wish they wouldn't do so many DPD and SGDs. Also the story and character pages are still not up. You would think that since Megatokyo is really popular that Piro and Dom would put them up.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:58 am Reply with quote
it's good, but there's too much filler. for god's sake it's been a year, and there still hasn't been any real character development
Meson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:32 am Reply with quote
I read it. Been reading since January. Great comic. It's great that Fred hid an entire story arc within the DPDs. That was something.

There should be an anime for it. If you are with me, help me pitch the idea to Cartoo network by posting here: http://boards.adultswim.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=adultswimforum&msg=15752.1&ctx=131072

It's my thread at Adult Swim.com. If we make enough posts. Someone may get the hint. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:00 am Reply with quote
As nice as an idea that may be, there isn't enough content there to make more than maybe 10 epsiodes. He can't write/draw fast enough to keep up with such a concept...

Maybe somebody could get together and do a little flash ep. on the web or something, but I doubt it would go any further than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:05 am Reply with quote
Meson wrote:
There should be an anime for it.

Never happen. A cartoon maybe, but not an anime. I doubt Fred would go for it. No matter where it was animated his personal feelings about it would never allow it to be called an anime, just like he doesn't like Megatokyo being called a manga and doens't see himself as a manga artist.

Anywho, I'm a fairly big fan. I got a great seat at Naze Nane Megatokyo live at Otakon 2k2, what a blast. I feel bad that I'm missing out on part 2 this year. Sad

Just a few weeks ago at Portcon I got to meet Ukyo. I'll tell you what, the guy is absolutly insane! There isn't a shred of sanity in the guy.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:05 am Reply with quote
Each chapter, if you expand on some of the action scens, can easily make at least 13 episodes. YOu only need 13 episodes a season, you know. zYOu can also stretch the last two chapters to 26 episodes, if you split the Largo and Piro scenes.

Season is also a keyword. YOu can make each season to = 1 chapter comic. That way the anime will never over take Freed's drawings, as he will always bee at least 3 chapters ahead, no matter how slow he is. Remember a tv season starts in September and ends in May.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
caulfield

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big fan but I must admit I was happiest when I was working through the archives. Its not the same reading it every other day as opposed to all at once. Its great stuff but I wish more of the ideas would follow through to appropriate punchlines or resolutions. Great Teacher Largo just sort of faded away and I kind of doubt anything will truly come of Largo's involvement in disaster control. I am getting sick of the goth chick and the Sony android and wish Piro would get back to the shy voiceactress who waitresses at Anna Miller's. Great stuff though. Real cute.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Megatokyo's main problem is the same one that the majority of webcomics have: it is not updated daily and flows less smoothly because of that. Also there are a lot of interesting characters so while Fred is exploring some of the supporting cast the others will get left behind for a bit. I think everyone should at least read through the first chapter and see if they like it because everyone I have gotten to read it has loved it.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I am no fan of Megatokyo. I've chuckled at it once or twice, but I have real problems with the characters.

Largo? "Ooh! He's a kee-raaazy, wacky gamer dude! Listen to his 1337-speak!!!" Bah. He's not funny. I'll just stick to Penny Arcade for game humor, okay, thanks.

Piro? Bland, boring anime "otaku." Not interesting to me in the least. I deal with enough of those folks already - no need for me to read about them in webcomics.

And then there are the female characters, who are all so dull and undeveloped that I'm wondering how people manage to keep track of their names.

But, eh. I harbor no ill-will towards anybody that reads Megatokyo or calls themself a fan of it. I used to, but I've since relaxed on that. Well... I *still* hate the people who take it FAR too seriously. "OMG BEST WEBCOMIC EVER 133337!!!!" And an ANIME SERIES based upon Megatokyo??? That's a horrible idea.

'Sides, Adult Swim has much better webcomics to try and adapt into TV shows. Achewood is your God.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:11 pm Reply with quote
l337 can not be spoken. Thus largo is ever mute. Ruins the jokes, and Fred would probably commit ritual suicide at a con if people dissed him. And he is to much a perfectionist. Thus, even though it is full time, it is still a page every other day or less. While Tsunami Channel could be, its jokes and format are much more anime baised and flows more.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:10 pm Reply with quote
L337 can be spoken, to a certain extent. It is about the manerisms in how you speak. You sound like a complete idiot doing it, but it can be done.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I think it really has to do with your character, you really have to express
MegaGamer personified. Saying it you'd automatically understand. Because largo is so quarky its easily identified, but thats hard to discuss because theres always exceptions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2