• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Neon Genesis Evangelion 10th Anniversary Box Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
In response to the poster who's "laughing hysterically at people who bought the singles" .... but insulting people who bought the singles shows what a lousy anime fan you are. Rolling Eyes

It was more directed at the people who bought the singles and then complained that they were releasing the box set.

If you bought the singles realzing that there was going to be a box set and are happy with it, more power to you.

But if you buy the singles and then get pissed at them releasing a box set because "OH NOES THEY JUST WANT MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" then I'm going to laugh at you.
takeru99

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Another 250.00 for a NGE box set?

No thanks. The Platinum Edition is more than enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Suprisingly there are "new" anime fan every day that might have never seen EVA. And not everybody owe EVA either. It's probably a great time to release the Anniversity boxset because of EVA airing on TV, because you might have new viewer becoming hardcover EVA fanatic. By 2008, will there be a Blu-ray Eva? If thousand of new anime from the blu-ray generation want it on blu-ray and there is a demand for it, we will likely see it.

The regular long time anime fan won't take this into account because it's all about them.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
megafanX wrote:
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:
A series that truely deserves a re-release (and is beeing re-released now) is Martian Successor Nadesico. They made a great decision there.

im sorry, but i have to ask where did you here this from? i definitely agree and welcome it if its true, they could even add the movie, that i didn't get the chance to see or buy but adv does not even mention such a joy on its site

It's been released in Japan, not by ADV (yet Wink ).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
megafanX wrote:
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:
A series that truely deserves a re-release (and is beeing re-released now) is Martian Successor Nadesico. They made a great decision there.

im sorry, but i have to ask where did you here this from? i definitely agree and welcome it if its true, they could even add the movie, that i didn't get the chance to see or buy but adv does not even mention such a joy on its site

It's been released in Japan, not by ADV (yet Wink ).

Um, has nobody else noticed that MSN already got a re-release as part of ADV's "Essential Anime" collection? The EA editions don't have the ugly digital overlays that made the original release so bad.
And about boxed sets vs. singles, the problem here isn't a boxed set being released after the singles, which is the normal process of events. The problem is them peddling this "teh awesomeness" 10th Anniversary set with more extras, etc. so soon after the Platinum Collection, which they marketed as the ultimate/definitive way to own Evangelion.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Um, has nobody else noticed that MSN already got a re-release as part of ADV's "Essential Anime" collection?

Which are already out of print.
sohryu

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
But since the Platinum series was released without any inkling that this set was coming down the pike, all the diehard fans have already invested their money in a re-release. Then a year later, ADV expects them to one-up AGAIN? I doubt that all but the most insane collectors would be able to justify owning both of these. Seems like shooting yourself in the foot to put out the cheap version BEFORE the expensive version, and goes against any pricing strategy I've ever seen.

One need not be an "insane" collector in order to justify owning every release of Evangelion. The very definition of collector is "a person who makes a collection". Naturally, one would assume that any good collector would have, or try to have, any and every item related to their collection in their possession.

* sohryu shrugs

Or maybe that's my way of justifying it. Who knows?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
sohryu wrote:

One need not be an "insane" collector in order to justify owning every release of Evangelion. The very definition of collector is "a person who makes a collection". Naturally, one would assume that any good collector would have, or try to have, any and every item related to their collection in their possession.

* sohryu shrugs

Or maybe that's my way of justifying it. Who knows?

Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. Wink

I personally think it would be insane of anybody to pay to own the exact same TV series 3 times (original, platinum, 10th anniversary). I mean, that's just personal opinion I suppose, but I'd rather watch something NEW rather than pay to own something I already own.

For example, some might consider me an insane comic book collector: I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 of the things. Do I buy multiple copies of the same book? I used to back in the days when I was (I would hazard to say) a truly insane person who was buying upwards of 120 comics a month. But now, as a collector, I just want the issue. If there's a special collector's edition, I might buy that in lieu of the regular one, but buying both....it's just silly. I'd rather buy 2 different ones than the same one twice, y'know?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaliSerenity

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

I personally think it would be insane of anybody to pay to own the exact same TV series 3 times (original, platinum, 10th anniversary).

Well, it's not exactly the same thing as a comic book. With the eva series, I guess I already own the series 3 times - I take a look at what ADV is offering for every re-release and decide whether it's worth buying or not (no, I'm not insane! Anime smile)

Of course I replaced the VHS release with the original dvds. The platinum (& director's cut) was remastered original material - the difference in video quality between the perfect and the plat was just too great (and I love content extras - interviews, commentary, etc.).

Right now I'm not planning to buy. So far every re-release gave me a reason to buy, and I know ADV knows that it'll take super-mega-extras to market this 10th-anniversary successfully, so that's why I'm curious to see what ADV will be offering to convince an anime fan like me. Anime smile I'll be watching for the full details of the extras.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

From here on out I'll be replacing posts that make the same "CASH COW LOL" comments with a random image and a note about how much you like to not read the thread and restate what's been said already 10 times over.

CASH COW, CASH COW, LOL
(I'm disappointed, I went through that whole thread and not ONE image? c'mon. Razz)

I have the 2 Evangelion LDs and none of the rest of the series. Personally I have ZERO issue with Gainax milking this thing till the cow is just a skeleton, and I WOULDN'T have any problem with ADV doing the same. What I DO have a problem with is HOW ADV is doing this. Gainax is milking the hell out of Eva by putting out every possible thing in existence with an Eva logo or an image of Rei. That is wacky and capitalist, but it makes SENSE. As long as people buy them, they will sell em. What I don't get is why, why, WHY release ANOTHER DVD set?!? You wanna commemorate the 10th anniversary, why not just sell some kinda crazy expensive set of bonus items, WHY include the DVDs... AGAIN? It really does make it harder for the anime fans to support the industry, because mentally you want to "time" the market. There's already the "boxset"/thinpak syndrome, (why buy the individual DVDs when the set will come out just a few months later and cheaper to boot) and now this? Between the possibility of "super bonus collector prizes" on one hand and "cheaper full collection" on the other hand, why would ANYONE (except the most diehard super fan/collector of a show) buy the regular DVD releases anymore?

Shoot, ADV could even do like Geneon did and just release a super bonus CASE for the DVDs (like Geneon's RoD DVD thinpak case) or just the jacket for $200 or any number of other things, all I wanna know is WHY bother including the DVDs, it just makes people question buying the show any of the 4 other times they'd have done it. Is this an attempt to lure people off their bootlegs with big money "collector" items?
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Is this an attempt to lure people off their bootlegs with big money "collector" items?

Why would anyone deliberately buying bootlegs want "big money 'collector' items"?
Patmos

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
http://www.seekingtranslation.com/main.php?comicItem=98

this comic seems to some up the situation nicely
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
Patmos wrote:

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
Patmos wrote:

OMG. I love this.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes that was pretty funny. Here's my thing, I have Eva on Vhs, except death and rebirth and End Of Evagelion, I have on dvd. I have been wanting to get the series on dvd, but well since I already have it I haven't wanted to fork out the big bucks on the plantium pack. Since their are scores of titles out there that I want and don't have. Now here's the question, will this result in a lowering of prices on all the other eva dvd boxsets, dvd's, vhs's ect?

If anything I would want the plantium set not this orginal set. Thanks for the information, and maybe this is just wishful thinking but oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7