• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ouran High School Host Club Gets Live-Action Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
For me, the success of this drama will depend on how successfully sarcastic Haruhi's actress can be.

Are there any Japanese actors or actresses who can pull off sarcasm well?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
Not that I know of, and that's part of the reason why (and I know this is not a popular opinion amongst Ouran fans) I love Ouran's English dub even more than the Japanese. Caitlin Glass had just the perfect amount of snark/sarcasm in her role and she played so well off the high-energy frenzy (well, other than Mori of course) of the rest of the cast so well. Sakamoto's Haruhi was certainly more loving, but for me Haruhi's character is all about the snarky wit.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
For me, the success of this drama will depend on how successfully sarcastic Haruhi's actress can be.

Of course.

You just probably can't tell due to the language barrier.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sakamoto's Haruhi was certainly more loving, but for me Haruhi's character is all about the snarky wit.

As TitanXL said above, this was probably just the language barrier. Sakamoto's Haruhi was pretty snarky in the original as well.

That aside... oh no, no, not a live action adaptation. Having seen the live action adaptation of Otomen (I watched it only because the guy playing Asuka was spot-on, unfortunately he was the only one) and Yamada Tarou monogatari (Matsuoka Mitsuru is to blame for that), and having seen episodes from other adaptations (including Honey and Clover, argh), I'm less than excited about this. Taking the basic setting and rewriting everything from scratch, changing characters and adding new ones, changing plot and characterization for no good reason whatsoever... Just look at what they did to Tounomine in the live-action Otomen! or how they turned Yamada Tarou monogatari into a sappy, preachy "we may be poor but with the power of love we can overcome everything!" Hallmark-type melodrama. :/
maaya

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
and having seen episodes from other adaptations (including Honey and Clover, argh), I'm less than excited about this.

Well, some adaptions are really great, and some are not. After all it's always different people working on the different projects. We can hope for Ouran to become one of the great ones, like Nodame or Seigi no Mikata. But of course the chances that they'll turn it into exactly the kind of series it is supposed to be a parody of could also happen. They actually did manage to mess up Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge / The Wallflower, which imho is quite similar to Ouran. On the other hand, Nobuta wo Produce was a great series ....

let's hope for the best, but not get expectations too high ^^

it will be difficult to make the actress look like a boy ... that's so much easier with drawings.

Last edited by maaya on Thu May 19, 2011 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
OHSHC as Live-Action Show?! (I know someone mentioned this a long time ago...their wish came true ^-^)

I would so watch it! Very Happy
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to see the rest of the cast, particularly the twins-- I wonder if they'll actually be twins? ^^;
underlock

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
So, do I get to see the protagonist and the prince having an argument about doughnuts in this version?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This could either be amazing, or an absolute disaster. One or the other.

At least Ouran isn't going into obscurity. This really increases the chances of there being a second season.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Unfortunately, and this is the only negative I can think of, the show will never come here, meaning one would have to be fluent in Japanese in order to enjoy the full nuance the language, and its subject to plays on words, would deliver.

I'm quite envious of those in Japan because I really love this series. It's a well deserved A+, for those who've not seen it.

Actually I wouldn't be too surprised if FUNimation at least streams it. They did it with the Moyashimon drama, so there's hope that they'll do the same for this.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
This seems incredibly overdue to me. Looking forward to it!
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
This... could just turn into something awesome...we'll just to wait and see I guess Very Happy

But what I really really REALLY want to know right now is who the rest of the cast is!

Kyouya? Hikaru and Kaoru? Hunny-senpai and Mori-senpai?

Does anyone know of any good twin japanese actors?

You know those duo who did the OPs for Vampire Knight (and the DRRR ED and Beelzebub OP)? Those guys are twins and actors. Maybe they'll do the theme song for the drama.
redranger

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Of course.

You just probably can't tell due to the language barrier.

But if you sub lovers can't detect sarcasm then how are always rating japanese dubs as so superior? I guess you just like the way it sounds? Hmm?
ForeverPurity

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
SCREW BALLS! D:

After all my friends hard work on making their own, finally they jump on the bandwagon. God.

Ah, well... let's see how this pans out....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
As my drama fandom eclipses my anime fandom I'm pretty excited about this, provided it's done well (think more Hana-Kimi and less Mei-chan no Shitsuji). Whenever dramas are made from more, uh, fantastic sources they intentionally try to follow the same tone, which in live action can come off as "cheesy" to those not expecting it, or perhaps unfamiliar with Asian dramas in general. You've just gotta go with it and suspend disbelief to the same level you'd allow the source material.

Anyway, like many of you I'm mostly curious who the rest of the (male) cast is going to be.
H0shi wrote:
If Tegoshi will do Honey-sempai...thinking of this makes me suffer nosebleed Laughing
Actually, that's not a bad pick. Speaking of Tegoshi...

ironwokmonster wrote:
if it's anywhere near as good as the live action adaption of yamato nadeshiko shichi henge (The Wallflower) I'll be happy. I'd be lying if I said I didn't almost piss myself when I saw this
You know, that drama was better than I thought it'd be. I put off watching it for a long time because it sounded like a bad idea. Eventually I was tired of it taking up space on my computer so I decided to try a few episodes to see if it was worth keeping and to my surprise, it wasn't bad for an over-the-top adaptation of a over-the-top manga. I suppose my expectations going in were a bit low, though. Laughing

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I'm sure the producers will worry about which hawt guy from which hawt Johnny's boy band thing will play which character, regardless of how well they can actually portray said character.
Oh god I hope not. That one guy RUINED Yamato Nadeshiko for me. CANNOT ACT.
I assume you're talking about Kame. Have you seen Nobuta wo Produce? He was quite good in that, as were the other principals (including Yamapi & Horikita Maki before she went on to star in Hana-Kimi). It's still one of my favorite dramas after all these years. AKIRA SHOCK! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5