• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-05-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
dentedonion wrote:
I don't see how that's any worse than the g-string bikini type outfits comic book heroines wear, not to mention all the REAL half naked women they show on tv nowadays. It seems like women have always been objectified in the media in some way or another. It isn't anything new.

I agree women have always been objectified in the media but I don't think that's a reason to condone it. I try not to watch anything that does what you describe and I would not attempt to justify it, which I guess was my big disagreement with the rant.
rayofash

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please expand on 'crap pay'? Thats a very broad term. Is it 'I won't be living in a mansion! No fair!' or 'I can't even afford a 1 room apartment!'?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
As a guy, I must confess that I only enjoy fanservice when it's not used as a crutch, which is probably why I like UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie so much--it's so fluffy, fanservice is just a part of it.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote
rayofash wrote:
Can someone please expand on 'crap pay'? Thats a very broad term. Is it 'I won't be living in a mansion! No fair!' or 'I can't even afford a 1 room apartment!'?

Probably along the lines of "4 Mat" or "5 Mat" room. (If you don't understand this, think in size terms.)

I think also that should've been noted is that companies will only hire if they need certain work done. I point to the gaming industry as an example.

Game Companies will only hire people they need, not a "jack of all trades" type of deal. They need a Background designer, then they hire a background designer. They need background music, bam, hire a music writer.

Also, it's generally a bad idea to get into a job you really like, because the buzz might wear off fast.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
rayofash wrote:

Probably along the lines of "4 Mat" or "5 Mat" room. (If you don't understand this, think in size terms.)

I think also that should've been noted is that companies will only hire if they need certain work done. I point to the gaming industry as an example.

Game Companies will only hire people they need, not a "jack of all trades" type of deal. They need a Background designer, then they hire a background designer. They need background music, bam, hire a music writer.

Also, it's generally a bad idea to get into a job you really like, because the buzz might wear off fast.
Though one could start as a production goffer and work their way up from there. Many of the great and the good of live action and/or animation production, started their careers as runners/coffee makers. But still having said that they also had some sort of academic training in the field before applying.
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
This is a completely unrelated question:

why does Zac/Mr. Answerman use Howl from Howl's Moving Castle for the Mr. Answerman banner? Razz
Hanatarou

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I see nothing wrong with fanservice boy or girl. I don't even try to justify anything about anime to anyone.
I love the Howl pic for Mr. Answerman. No kittens, no bunnies this week? Would you like a picture of one of my rats, they are oh, so, cute! Smile
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, practically every FAQ and other writing I've read about getting into the game dev industry says that people who have multiple skills are more likely to get hired. Of course this is particularly true of small companies, and probably less so in larger ones.

Also, just for future reference, the word is "voila", not "viola".

Last edited by Pop-Art Samurai on Sat May 20, 2006 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dentedonion

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm: I don't really like yaoi much either, so it really isn't much of a fair exchange for me as well. I guess all I can say is that if a show has a solid story with themes, battles, characters, or whatever that are fun to watch, then i'm usually willing to "forgive" certain quantities of fanservice. Like you said it's a marketing ploy for a male demographic.

It is very unfortunate that women in many forms of the media are portrayed in such a way. I don't particularly like it either, but i think it's also just the way many of us have been socialized. i'd like to see more shows/anime starring a physically unattractive female(at least by the media's standards) that doesn't just focus on her inability to find true love or something like that. lol, ok that was a bad example, but i hope you know what i'm getting at.

Yeah, I try to avoid watching shows where fanservice is just thrown in your face just for the sake of itself without any real plot. I really don't like harem shows either (tenchi, love hina) because I already know all that stuff is gonna happen. I can understand why anyone, man or woman, would get tired of it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
This is a completely unrelated question:

why does Zac/Mr. Answerman use Howl from Howl's Moving Castle for the Mr. Answerman banner? Razz

I imagine because Howl is a wizard, and wizards know stuff.

(*)(*)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
On Rant:

I agree sometimes fanservice is out of place; but what gets my goat is how excessive female fanservice is always the focal point: Like NO other fanservice exists out there.

I sat thru vol. 1 of Sukisho this evening, and not only did they show center shots of one guy brushing his crotch on another guy, but the characters in the show turn "chibi" every 5 seconds. To me, that is BLATENT fanservice to yaoi-fangirls. (I can still hear the squeals :-/) So why don’t we hear an uproar about that?

Just as you can derive "moe" to have different types that appeal to certain groups, fanservice can be derived in the same way. Sometimes there could be needless mecha; to appeal to that fanservice base to buy the show. Spotlighting a favorite character in an OAV is fanservice for fans of that character. Maybe even going as far as genres themselves is already fanservice for people who like that type of show.

The only problem going down that kind of road is coming to the conclusion that - ALL shows are made up of different types of fanservice; which I totally disagree with. Since I think I'm starting to go in circles, I'll just reiterate my original point: That personally it's kind of unfair that "jiggle" fanservice gets all the scrutiny, while usually everything else is ignored. If that next breast bounce is needless, then so is that next transformation sequence; or next gun fight.

Last Note: I really enjoyed both Najica & Divergence Eve. DE is a good sci-fi show. And I was more or less immune to the panty shots of Najica past episode 3, which at that point the show cranked up the action and underlining plot.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote
Pop-Art Samurai wrote:
Quote:

Actually, practically every FAQ and other writing I've read about getting into the game dev industry says that people who have multiple skills are more likely to get hired. Of course this is particularly true of small companies, and probably less so in larger ones.

Also, just for future reference, the word is "voila", not "viola".

I've actually noticed as of late that the Gaming Industry has changed from many of those FAQ. Producing mediocre games and devoting resources to push them, while "great" games get shafted to the side. I mean, how can you explain the fact that the 50 Cent game got more advertising time, yet most gamers i've talked to hate the game and will only buy it used and not fuel the egomania of a hack rapper??
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
yet most gamers i've talked to hate the game and will only buy it used and not fuel the egomania of a hack rapper??
I think he's as good as his name, at least right???

I mean I would spot him two case quarters
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
soumarukaji

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
let it be known, whether it has been stated already on this forum or not, that not all guys are horny morons looking for panty shots and large breasts. i for one, never let fanservice affect the desicion to buy a dvd of anime. i watch a show because i think it's good, not because there's an excessive amount of jiggling breasts. i agree full heartedly with the men and women who dislike this sort of 'service', and the unneeded attention it brings to us as we watch our favorite shows.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
soumarukaji wrote:
let it be known, whether it has been stated already on this forum or not, that not all guys are horny morons looking for panty shots and large breasts. i for one, never let fanservice affect the desicion to buy a dvd of anime. i watch a show because i think it's good, not because there's an excessive amount of jiggling breasts. i agree full heartedly with the men and women who dislike this sort of 'service', and the unneeded attention it brings to us as we watch our favorite shows.

Let be known whether it hs been stated already on this forum or not, that you guys and gals need to lighten the hell up. Let it also be known that there are anime that do not have no/excesive fanservice in them. Let it be stated that if you find fanservice so bothersome you should seek out said titles as failing to do so may cause aneurysm. Let it also be clear that you do not have to be a horny moron to like large jiggly breasts, in fact in certain circumstances it can cause a risk reduction in said aneurysm.

(*)(*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5