• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Copy-Cat Catharsis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
That's because girls don't watch cartoons! Laughing
(They prefer live-action teenage shows.)

It doesn't even stop there. Girls like my 11 year-old sister will prefer any live-action family sitcom or widespread reality show like America's Got Talent, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars because of the fact reality is just easier to relate to than fiction and thus less likely to weird people out. Plus they want to see an event of some sort with humor, competition, suspense and excitement wrapped into one and those shows have all of that. And it only adds viewers when anyone else and their friends get into it.

Yeah, girls are such social animals. Laughing
ljaesch

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Heh. My 13-year-old daughter is an exception to this rule. She really dislikes shows like American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, and shows of that nature. In fact, she would prefer to watch anime over those shows. The only live-action shows that have any sort of appeal to her are the live-action tween shows on Disney Channel and iCarly on Nickelodeon.

Hypeathon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
That's because girls don't watch cartoons! Laughing
(They prefer live-action teenage shows.)

It doesn't even stop there. Girls like my 11 year-old sister will prefer any live-action family sitcom or widespread reality show like America's Got Talent, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars because of the fact reality is just much easier to relate to than fiction and thus less likely to weird people out. Plus they want to see an event of some sort with humor, competition, suspense and excitement wrapped into one and those shows have all of that. And it only adds viewers when anyone else and their friends get into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Like the old Barbie pull-string voice "Math is hard!" flap. Laughing
A.k.a. must not discourage girls' self-confidence in an already male-slanted society.

America may be a bit going overboard, but gender equality is an area that Japan has been quite under-performing overall.

Hey!! Quit stealing my replies! 3:< And for the most part, the sad thing about femininity here is that it isn't even promoted, nor is it held in high esteem in females in the US; it's actually held in a stigma of it signifying being weak. While I have seen girls that act like girls, they aren't the majority, and I believe that femininity should be expressed freely, rather than them having to don pants and hold a mentality that they have to act like the guys or look like @$#% smashing hellions that give lesbians a bad name. And most of all, western society is most off, a highly male slanted and prudish society thanks to its foundations influenced by, ugh, christianity. I have heard of a god of sexuality in Japan whose worship of is frowned upon, but at least sex is taught to be sacred. In the west, I know that isn't the case, and I know that women were burnt because they're witches or some crap like that, and that sex is some evil, destructive art of evil or someother BS Abrahamic garbage.

And please, go on, teach me all about Japan's issues. /sarcasm Yes, there is sexism in Japan, but at least women there can be feminine and be proud about it. Yeah, there is panty shots in shounen manga, but I assure you, that's no different from a group of guys staring over a copy of Playboy like it's the most illegal thing to even hit the streets since cocaine. I'm a pervert too, and I live in the US! And guess what? All guys at times have wet thoughts! And while it's great that women do have a opportunity to have influence on their future, I'm very sure that not all of them want to be office workers or work in a profession. Over here, being a housewife is considered a dead end and some sort of shameful caste like bukuramin. Get over it.

And don't give me the whole "NEET and otaku" excuse you all put out there when this stuff comes up, I've very sure they don't even represent a majority of Japan, and the only reason why they are given public and international attention is because news companies need money and douchebag ethnocentric fecalbrains need to feel better at night when they touch themselves.

Japan isn't the greatest country in the world, nor is it some paradise on Earth, but there are some things that make sense over there. Like not influencing girls that their gender and what they like by gender are "weaker" and "shameful".

TitanXL wrote:
I'm not sure if that counts since it's based on a book; especially since in the sequel not based off the book she becomes very.. well, the complete opposite. I do agree females seem more in the 'comedy lighthearted' role than the action or mature role here, though. I reckon that has to do with the whole 'violence against women' taboo; it's hard enough to have an action show do much violence in the first place, let alone against the females.

Everyone does not like the sequel, and I know I don't either. Most of all, if there is no respect to continuity in the sequel, then most will not accept it is a sequel.

I will agree, it is a lot harder for me to see females get killed, even if it's a female killing another female, yet my feelings on that are somewhat lighter if a female kills a male. I'm sure that in battle, that will not matter at all, because regardless of gender, both sides will know what will happen if they don't fight mercilessly.

If anything, I blame the rising prudishness of today's middle age society for the softening of action entertainment. Of course combat and fighting isn't clean, it is dirty, regardless of what's being shown. But that at least shows relevant solution depending on how good the writing is.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Disney officially has a Princess line - that's why they do it, to keep up the brand. (Kinda like how KyoAni has sorta moe line. Laughing ) Without Princesses, there'd be no Magic Kingdom for girls (kinda like if Gainax ever gets to build their Otakuland theme brand for otaku).

See, the Princess line is for girls up to ~7 years old. Then, above that, there's the Disney teenage shows. That's the business plan for their brands to be there as their audience grows older. And it's been quite successful.

Yes, it's definitely successful, just wish there was some kind of diversity. I remember Sailor Moon, and then watching PreCure now (DBZ for Girls, pretty much), and am loving that very much.

Maximym Meyham!! wrote:
Japan isn't the greatest country in the world, nor is it some paradise on Earth, but there are some things that make sense over there. Like not influencing girls that their gender and what they like by gender are "weaker" and "shameful".

Yeah.. I don't think anyone's saying Japan's a magical paradise of equality and tolerance where the streets are lined with gold, just that, when it comes to depictions in animation and stuff, it's extremely common to find girls in the lead roles over there (among other things) or just in situations you normally wouldn't see them in here.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

...... just that, when it comes to depictions in animation and stuff, it's extremely common to find girls in the lead roles over there (among other things) or just in situations you normally wouldn't see them in here.
That trend seems to have transended into real life. According to Japanese sociologists girls have become what they call "carnivores", meaning agressive and calculating, taking the lead. where as the boys have become "herbivores", timid and submissive, easlily led. Whether that is attributed to anime and manga is not determined.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Both Japan and the Anglosphere have problems, just different problems. We have a problem with being anti-feminine, but Japan has similar problems. Abortion is rife over there, and that is something I would consider to be injurious to femininity as well. And I definitely can't consider Yaoi fan girls to be very encouraging to a healthy femininity or masculinity. Yaoi fangirls: definitely a mutual problem. Unless there supporting a good giant robot show. Then there okay.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That trend seems to have transended into real life. According to Japanese sociologists girls have become what they call "carnivores", meaning agressive and calculating, taking the lead. where as the boys have become "herbivores", timid and submissive, easlily led. Whether that is attributed to anime and manga is not determined.

No idea.. though at least women can get into the manga and anime industry just fine, so that's cool. Surprised
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

No idea.. though at least women can get into the manga and anime industry just fine, so that's cool. Surprised

More manga than anime. The anime industry is still more of a boys club.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Both Japan and the Anglosphere have problems, just different problems. We have a problem with being anti-feminine, but Japan has similar problems. Abortion is rife over there, and that is something I would consider to be injurious to femininity as well. And I definitely can't consider Yaoi fan girls to be very encouraging to a healthy femininity or masculinity. Yaoi fangirls: definitely a mutual problem. Unless there supporting a good giant robot show. Then there okay.

Not all women want to be pregnant, and not all women want to be feminine, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a mother, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to be a mother either, women are people, so how dare you talk about what's injurious to femininity as if that's the same thing as what's injurious to women, who are not all the same and who don't all want the same things, banning abortion would be incredibly damaging for women (both physically and emotionally). Also, do you have something against LGBT people?

To that earlier poster who complained about women who "give lesbians a bad name", there is nothing wrong with being a butch lesbian/bisexual/straight woman, don't you dare tell me that all women should shave, have long hair, not wear boots, be thin and not have tattoos or piercings that they chose for themselves.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Anymouse wrote:

Not all women want to be pregnant, and not all women want to be feminine, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a mother, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to be a mother either, women are people, so how dare you talk about what's injurious to femininity as if that's the same thing as what's injurious to women, who are not all the same and who don't all want the same things, banning abortion would be incredibly damaging for women (both physically and emotionally). Also, do you have something against LGBT people?

To that earlier poster who complained about women who "give lesbians a bad name", there is nothing wrong with being a butch lesbian/bisexual/straight woman, don't you dare tell me that all women should shave, have long hair, not wear boots, be thin and not have tattoos or piercings that they chose for themselves.

Not being supportive of yaoi fangirls does not equal having something against LGBT people. You mad bro?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Anymouse wrote:

Not being supportive of yaoi fangirls does not equal having something against LGBT people. You mad bro?

First of all, don't stigmatise people with mental health issues, second, misogyny and homophobia tend to go hand in hand, that is why I asked that particular poster that question. Also, I'm female, and identify as agender... unless you call everybody bro, in which case whatever.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Whoah.....

No, I am not misogynistic, although I do have traditional views regarding gender. You obviously don't. We can disagree. I have no personal objection to homosexuality, but I do have to object on moral grounds. Whish is to say, disprove Christianity and Catholic theology, and I would have no more reason to give moral disapproval to lesbians or male homosexuals. My objection to such acts is moral rather than personal. I am not even sure that lesbian acts are really as biblically objectionable as male homosexuality, going by a literal reading of the bible.

My Yaoi fan girls comment was more of a joke. I was responding to the earlier post by Maximym Meyham!! arguing that femininity is more accepted in Japan. Both countries have attitudes that promote femininity, and both have attitudes that oppose it. Japan is not better or worse in my view, just different.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Whoah.....

No, I am not misogynistic, although I do have traditional views regarding gender. You obviously don't. We can disagree. I have no personal objection to homosexuality, but I do have to object on moral grounds. Whish is to say, disprove Christianity and Catholic theology, and I would have no more reason to give moral disapproval to lesbians or male homosexuals. My objection to such acts is moral rather than personal. I am not even sure that lesbian acts are really as biblically objectionable as male homosexuality, going by a literal reading of the bible.

Yes you are misogynistic, if you say it's your religious beliefs, then your religion is misogynistic (your interpretation of it certainly is), and I don't have to disprove religion, you have to prove your religion is true, the burden of proof lies with the one making the positive claim, and I don't care if you're going to give me a pass because an old book written primarily to exclusively by a bunch of misogynistic hetero/cissexist dudes says that it's ok for women to be lesbians but not for men to be gay, how dare you condemn my male friends who are gay/bi. [sarcasm]Oh but you believe it and some d-bag wrote it in a book once and there are people in power who say it's true that buttsecks is teh eeviiilz, so of course that should take precedence over logic and science[/sarcasm]. I am not going to politely agree to disagree with you over whether someone should have to repress their sexuality for no reason other than your superstitious ignorance (and, it would seem, a belief that women must be punished for having sex by being made to have babies, which is also superstitious ignorance.)
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
Whoah.....

Yes you are misogynistic, if you say it's your religious beliefs, then your religion is misogynistic (your interpretation of it certainly is), and I don't have to disprove religion, you have to prove your religion is true, the burden of proof lies with the one making the positive claim, and I don't care if you're going to give me a pass because an old book written primarily to exclusively by a bunch of misogynistic hetero/cissexist dudes says that it's ok for women to be lesbians but not for men to be gay, how dare you condemn my male friends who are gay/bi. [sarcasm]Oh but you believe it and some d-bag wrote it in a book once and there are people in power who say it's true that buttsecks is teh eeviiilz, so of course that should take precedence over logic and science[/sarcasm]. I am not going to politely agree to disagree with you over whether someone should have to repress their sexuality for no reason other than your superstitious ignorance (and, it would seem, a belief that women must be punished for having sex by being made to have babies, which is also superstitious ignorance.)

Being intolerant of someone's religious views is far superior than being intolerant of sexual preference!
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Being intolerant of someone's religious views is far superior than being intolerant of sexual preference!

I wouldn't have an issue with his religious views if he wasn't using them to justify his prejudices or other ignorant beliefs about sexuality (or whatever else), and also it's not a "preference", it's an orientation. I know people who have faith of some sort and don't use it to justify that kind of stuff and while I don't think their beliefs are backed up by evidence and do not consider them factually true, I don't dislike those people and will be friends with them (my boyfriend believes in god and I want to stay with him for the rest of my life, and yes he knows that I'm an atheist).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5