• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation December '13 / January '14 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
While I understand dub lovers not being thrilled with this change in policy (I'd be interested to know if this is a one-off or the start of a trend), I think Funi is simply doing what it feels it needs to do to say alive in the NA anime distrib market. From a purely financial point of view, why would a company turn up its nose at making a bit of cash from a sub-only release versus making zero cash because a certain title is unlikely to recoup the cost of a dub?

Granted, Funi risks incurring the wrath of some of its customer base so the move is obviously not without risk.

For myself, the lack of a dub would never prevent me from picking up a title I want and, in fact, I kind of appreciate the cheaper price since not that many dubs actually impress me. (However a good dub is worth it's weight in gold).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
SeigiNoSenshi wrote:
I'd guess Minami-ke (or maybe Puchimasu) will be next, but the whole streaming Season 4 but not 1-3 thing makes it hard to predict what they're doing.

I can only hope it's Minami-ke. I've been wishing for that to make it States side for a long, long time. I wish they could have made that decision for Tatami Galaxy as it's an excellent show that deserved to be released here, but at least it has an official English release from Siren Visual.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
TRSI has a new Funimation listing, interestingly it's a sub-only BD/DVD LE combo pack, with an SRP of $49.99:
Oniai BD/DVD Complete Series.

Given that this is unprecedented (outside of Arise, which is an import and probably mandated by the licensor) is there a Minion around who can verify the listing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the $49.99 MSRP all-but confirms it. Have they ever had a BD/DVD combo initial release of a 1-cour show for so cheap before?
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
TRSI has a new Funimation listing, interestingly it's a sub-only BD/DVD LE combo pack, with an SRP of $49.99:
Oniai BD/DVD Complete Series.

Given that this is unprecedented (outside of Arise, which is an import and probably mandated by the licensor) is there a Minion around who can verify the listing?

The schedule we received from Funimation explicitly said "sub only" for that title.
GDFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible they couldn't secure the rights to dub it?

We all assume if an R1 company gets a title, it's their choice how to release it. If producing an audio track in English is something in the contract, the right to do so may have been withheld from them. Or simply overlooked.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I think we can safely assume this was not an oversight.

"Doh, we got the rights and forgot to make sure they included dubbing rights! Dang!"

In the past, I'm sure if Funi could not secure dubbing rights to a title they would have simply not released that title.

No, I'm pretty sure this has to be a deliberate act. What is unclear at this point is whether there will be more of this or whether there was some special "one time only" factor that we are not aware of.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
RightStufSpecialsMinion wrote:
The schedule we received from Funimation explicitly said "sub only" for that title.

Ta very muchly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
Oniai, w!

I feel so conflicted
I love akiko so much but the rest of the show was really bad.

the price seems ridiculous for a new release so i guess its a must buy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
@ WTK - do you have any educated guesses as to why Funi is suddenly releasing a sub-only title? I'm asking you because you seem to be fairly plugged in to the relevant Twitter/Facebook feeds and I was wondering if there's been any discussion about this.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
A sub-only release? Confused

Granted there's no way I'm getting Oniai. But I've never recalled Funi ever doing a sub-only anime release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Jormungand and the Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians release if it's true.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
No, I'm pretty sure this has to be a deliberate act. What is unclear at this point is whether there will be more of this or whether there was some special "one time only" factor that we are not aware of.

Maybe it was part of a package licensing deal. In order to get one show they have to take and release this one. They may not be enthusiastic of its chances of selling well, so why waste a dub and money on something they are contractually required to release?

Of course I'm just engaging in conjecture, but it could be a possibility.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Funimation made a post on Tumblr about OniAi.
Funimation's Tumblr Post

It covers a few things but here is the biggest one:

Quote:
"Why are you releasing this title as subtitle-only?"
We are trying out a sub-only release because it will inform us as to whether it is a viable option for titles in the future that would otherwise not get released at all. In other words, we’re looking into ADDING more releases, which is a good thing!

So my initial theory was right that this is litmus test for this type of release.

Quote:
"Will my favorite show be released as subtitle-only? How do I make sure that it gets an English dub?"
The best way to ensure that your show gets an English dub is to support legal simulcasts and streams. We use streaming performance as one of several indicators to determine sales potential for a title. So, be sure to watch on official sites like FUNimation.com and Hulu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5