• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kai Doh Maru DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Oso

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the watercolor-based artistry has a faded color scheme and extremely washed out look which makes the whole piece seem like you’re viewing it through a smoky filter. According to notes included with the DVD, the intent was to capture the look and feel of artwork from the time period in which the title is set. It’s an interesting effect, but one that I could do without, since it makes it difficult to appreciate the quality of the drawings and character designs.

I would have to agree with you there. To me it sounds good in theory, but it just doesn't work that well IMO. Although I do give them credit for trying something different.

I really liked the OP and ED, they sound great with Dolby5.1 & surround sound speakers.

It's too bad, a longer running time may have stopped it from collecting dust on my shelf. Sad
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree, mostly. I thought the visuals were incredible and I'm willing to forgive a couple of clashing shots if it means a film that doesn't look exactly like everything else being made. In fact this is one style I wish IG would go back and use again on a better film.

But yes, the running time killed it. I was glad to hear you say "I had to read the extras to know what's going on" because that's exactly the reaction I had. If I had a tv inside a picture frame that played something all day for visual atmosphere, this would definitely be in rotation. But it's painful to sit down and watch something that's come in so obviously below its potential.
Mattousai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
I've had this dvd for a while, and I think it's great, but I also think that the length was its biggest flaw.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The kanji in 怪童丸 (Kaidou Maru) translate as:

怪童 = unusually large or strong youth

丸 = circle, perfection, purity

So, the derivation of this nickname is clear enough.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MilkManX

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
I really liked the opening and most of the animation but the story was flat. Predicible and boring. There isnt one "great" scene that is even worth keeping this DVD. I bought this used and I think I will trade it in back there for something else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1