• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kino's Journey-Life Goes On

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stealth_penguin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if ADV has any intention of releasing the Kino's Journey movie "Life Goes On"?
Otaku-Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
My guess is probably not. I think Kino's Journey was one of ADV's less popular anime titles. The reason I say probably not is because ADV tends to not license second season anime if the first season really didn't sell to well. For one example ADV licensed King of Bandit Jing's first season but never bothered to license the 2nd season. King of Bandit Jing is a great anime same with Kino's Journey but its just one of those things that didn't have mass market appeal.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess ADV is too big and important to be loyal to the little anime properties, which begs the question, WHY LICENSE THEM AT ALL? I mean, there's not enough mainstream anime out there for them? They should leave more obscure titles like Kino and Jing to dubbers like Right Stuf.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
yeah i bought the jing thinpack and wanted to see the jing ova and then heard adv dosent have the rights and i heard they hardly get any of the other seasons/movies/ova to series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
It's been said that ADV licenses on "fanboy grounds"; they go after what appeals to them, which is often action, mecha, comedy, and fanservice. Even so, they do go for some more obscure, niche, or serious anime from time to time, like Diamond Daydreams or Nanaka 6/17. I mean, they have proceeded with releases of girly anime like Wedding Peach, Kaleido Star, and Princess Tutu. I think that some titles like Saint Seiya and Super Gals! had some sort of licensing tangle in addition to low sales to explain the non-release of second seasons.

Finally, ADV has a bit of a reputation of not getting everything related to a series...I mean, you can't exactly call Elfen Lied one of their "underperforming" titles, but there's only one way to get the "Episode 10.5" OVA or the Kino's Journey movie, outside of R2 DVD that is.
EDIT:
epixeltwin wrote:
That's sooo dumb. Kino no tabi was REALLY good IMHO. I hate it that companies here only license mainstream. We need those quality titles coming, but hey, our ONLY target audience is hairless preteens.
I'd disagree that they only license mainstream. There are plenty of obscure, niche, and downright risky titles on the market these days. They're in a business to make money, and when times are a bit rough (as they have been recently), what market is more trustworthy?
A) casual fans who browse through Best Buy looking for DVDs and will readily spend money on almost anything with ninjas cutting people up or hot girls getting comically exposed?
B) hardcore anime fans who downloaded a given series from 3 different fansub groups, enjoy the fansub "feel" and translation style, and hold some grudge against the companies for "butchering" or "ruining" their anime with evil standard yellow fonts and standardized English translations.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
That's sooo dumb. Kino no tabi was REALLY good IMHO. I hate it that companies here only license mainstream. We need those quality titles coming, but hey, our ONLY target audience is hairless preteens. Great. Smaller scale production anyone? Surveys anyone? Sad
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
However even if the movie doesnt get released (which it wont) the jappanese versons still available. but beware hermies voice is very anoying......remember that frog from naruto Evil or Very Mad

But i hear tokyopop is soon to translate the kino's journey manga, which means more good art work, and i think 6 books so there will be alot more story there. And who knows if it turns out to be a sucess ADV might comisson the movie + episode 0
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
But i hear tokyopop is soon to translate the kino's journey manga, which means more good art work, and i think 6 books so there will be alot more story there.

As far as I know, there's no such manga.
Owner of four volumes of DVD, nine volumes of novel, artbook, limited edition of -You- with Life Goes On DVD, and an autograph of Sigsawa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
but beware hermies voice is very anoying

I thought his voice fit him fine (sub version, at least). In a way, he's like a curious child, but he is quite intellegent as well. His voice had the perfect blend of an interrogative child and of someone who is older and wiser, IMO.

I didn't like the dub voices, though. Kino sounded way too old for her age and all the characters generally sounded unemotive.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Villhelmya wrote:
But i hear tokyopop is soon to translate the kino's journey manga, which means more good art work, and i think 6 books so there will be alot more story there.

As far as I know, there's no such manga.

I think Kino's Journey comes from a series of novels. Maybe that's what he meant
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote
Soz Yer, it they are novels, i just asumed translating jappanese books would mean manga Sad
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:20 am Reply with quote
its a real shame, the show was full of so much interesting symbolism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1