• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-06-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I, too, am tired of the "how do I become..." letters. Really, there has to be something more interesting written than those.

As for what Lauren (Driftroot) wrote - perhaps (and this is a long-shot) if there is a situation where the hotel security has to come and give more that 2 warnings then perhaps the con should ban the "owner/renter" of the hotel room from the next convention. Like I said it's a long-shot but it would show that that sort of behavior is not/will not be tolerated.

After all, we (anime fans) are thought to be weird anyway, we don't need to add rude and inconsiderate to it as well.

Just my opinion anyway.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
*wonders if PatrickD is going to chime in suddenly*

No.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Samurai_Kenshin wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

Am I the only one that thought Steroid was being sarcastic? . . .

I was addressing the fact that the idea was sickening (sarcastic or not) - my comment had nothing to do with Steroid (attacking internet pseudonyms isn't big on my hobby list).

As Ed Asner said, "If I'm lucky, I can do both." The whole "something for nothing" principle is impossible, but rather than sickening, I find it infinitely desirable. I think it's important to first identify our standards of what we want in life, then pursue them, as opposed to saying what we can do, and then seeing if we desire it. To wit: someone wants to express a certain plot, theme, character, etc., identify it first and then find a way to put it into a form. The way it's done, as Answerman keeps portraying, is that someone works hard on other people's ideas, making a name for themselves, after which, if they get a chance, they have the chance to put forth an idea which they think will sell, and have it approved by committee.

It works far better with manga. Anyone who wants to create manga can do so at the cost of paper and ink, and after it's complete, can try to sell it. If it's too ideosyncratic, maybe it won't be picked up, but at least it exists. It would be nice to have something similar in animation. Like Flash animation. If similar software advances to the point of more easy use, it may be the solution.

As a general issue, economic growth (per se) advances our ability to consume, but does not diminish our necessity to produce. The economy of today provides us with diverse opportunities in both staples and luxuries, but still the work week doesn't shorten, nor do people become more autonomous in their work. (To the contrary, workers today are more faceless, with more rigidly defined duties) This is what I mean when I say that those whose desires range toward the unproductive are victims.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
As Ed Asner said, "If I'm lucky, I can do both." The whole "something for nothing" principle is impossible, but rather than sickening, I find it infinitely desirable. I think it's important to first identify our standards of what we want in life, then pursue them, as opposed to saying what we can do, and then seeing if we desire it. To wit: someone wants to express a certain plot, theme, character, etc., identify it first and then find a way to put it into a form. The way it's done, as Answerman keeps portraying, is that someone works hard on other people's ideas, making a name for themselves, after which, if they get a chance, they have the chance to put forth an idea which they think will sell, and have it approved by committee.

It works far better with manga. Anyone who wants to create manga can do so at the cost of paper and ink, and after it's complete, can try to sell it. If it's too ideosyncratic, maybe it won't be picked up, but at least it exists. It would be nice to have something similar in animation. Like Flash animation. If similar software advances to the point of more easy use, it may be the solution.

As a general issue, economic growth (per se) advances our ability to consume, but does not diminish our necessity to produce. The economy of today provides us with diverse opportunities in both staples and luxuries, but still the work week doesn't shorten, nor do people become more autonomous in their work. (To the contrary, workers today are more faceless, with more rigidly defined duties) This is what I mean when I say that those whose desires range toward the unproductive are victims.
All due respect, but I really am unable to grasp this post.

What exactly are you saying?

As to your old post: sadly, no. An idea is worthless without an action. A writer dreams--but many dreams and the difference is in the fact that a writer writes. So the industry is not too receptive to idealistic fans seeking to express "their own ideas," well, that's capitalism for you. And capitalism also allows the industry to run. But hey.

Being a young writer-wannabe (note the wannabe part, it's the more significant of the two), I know the pains of translating your ideas into writing. But guess what? The very act of writing sharpens the ideas, gives it life, and allows the idea to grow into [metaphor alert] a living organism of its own. Without this act of writing to polish and complete them the tales in your head are probably going to be very dull and lifeless indeed.

Besides, if those damned fanboys who kept dreaming of their own little Naruto can actually somehow, by the virtue of magical idealism, translates their dreams into works, I'd be scared forever out of the anime fandom. I would not be able to stand it then. No disrespecting to those who love Naruto (I quite not disliking it too), but you know your fellow fans. Smile

My God, do I sound like a cynical old man, and I am but 16!
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was going to reply to the column after I was done reading it, but my mind went blank. It really feels that I've already read and responded on these questions. More proff that your using the same kind of questions is that you put on the same ranter again (I would've responded to that, but I've had no experience at a convention yet).

Answerman is my favorite column to read on this site, but it's starting to fell like a rerun.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Who are these People that keep asking questions about getting into the Anime Industry? I would really like to know. In my opinion there isnt much of away to get in to the industry unless more money is spent on Anime or the hobby grows bigger.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:

Answerman is my favorite column to read on this site, but it's starting to fell like a rerun.

I hear your complaints. I promise next week will have no "how do I break into the industry" questions.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
If you all want different questions answered...maybe you should send in different questions!

Sorry, I'm a complete jerk. Laughing

But seriously, I have a question. Are questions only limited to email, or can we post questions here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Defiant7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Do any of you think that people send in "how do I break into the industry" questions just to see Zac freak out.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:

I hear your complaints. I promise next week will have no "how do I break into the industry" questions.

Dear Answerman:

The anime industry has been holding me hostage for sixteen months. My family could not meet their demands and I have thus been placed in a tiny cell and forced to survive entierly on Koala's March cookies and Tang. To my surprise I awoke this morning to find a laptop in my cell, with just enough battery power remaining to send this message. I also found a paper clip, a dog collar, and a pair of tickets to the New York Philharmonic, but I missed the episode of MacGuyver that explains how to escape from a prison cell with those, so you are my last hope.

Please tell me how to break out of the anime industry.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
All due respect, but I really am unable to grasp this post.

What exactly are you saying?

I'll try to summarize it:

People who want to have a finished product without doing the work are doomed to frustration.

But, that is a factor of a malevolent universe--we should all be able to get whatever we want just because we want it.

What we can do is to say, "what would I want if I could immediately have it without working?" Then produce based on that premise.

What we do instead is to say, "what is the best thing we can produce under the current conditions?" And that means compromise.

The way to avoid compromise is to put more powerful tools in the hands of those who want to produce.

Working for a living is another unfortunate fact of reality. I think we could have a better understanding among people if the people who don't actually want to contribute or work could be honest in declaring that they want to do the minimum amount of work needed and get the most out of it.

I hope this helps, but if you're still confused, please ask me any questions you may have.
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel ashamed that after years of studying art history I cannot make out what that painting is from. I can place the movement possibly but just can't figure it out. X_x

As for the rant, yes, congoers all across the country are becoming stupider. I've been at too many cons where newbie congoers get arrested for doing stupid things like defacing property. All good things have to be made intolerable by a few thankless idiots who use cons as a reason to stir up trouble.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I think we could have a better understanding among people if the people who don't actually want to contribute or work could be honest in declaring that they want to do the minimum amount of work needed and get the most out of it.

And then put them on a island somewhere so the rest of us can get OUR work done so we can go watch anime!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Defiant7 wrote:
Do any of you think that people send in "how do I break into the industry" questions just to see Zac freak out.

YES! Or at least to amuse his co-workers when he starts banging his head on the desk.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
But there is an easy way to get a series made based on the thinnest of concepts:

1. Write your lame idea out on a McDonald's napkin.
  2. Sign it "An idea by Gene Roddenberry".
  3. Hand it to Majel Barret, claim you found it in a library book that hadn't been borrowed since Gene Roddenberry returned it in the summer of 1991.
  4. Watch your idea be brought to life as a syndicated series shot on the cheap in Canada and aired either on independent local stations at very off-peak hours between infomercials or on the USA Network.

How the hell otherwise do you think Andromeda got made?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6