• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-06-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
And what about Canada conventions in the northeast? There are a many bigs ones like AnimeNorth, AC Cubed, AniMaritime and the Canadian National Anime Expo.

As much as I love ACCubed and attending every year since it first started, it by no means falls into the "large convention" category at this point in time. Confused
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
I do have a solution for rowdy cons. Jack the price up to "keep the riff-raff out." It is a time honored tradition.

Laughing Laughing

Sad but true, back when I was still in college I had to really prioritize what I would spend my money on for fun. This would keep all the "lets go get drunk at Con this weekend" crowd away. Not that there is anything wrong with being drunk, but as far as college kids go, only the serious ones would be coming out. And if they are drunk I'll guarantee they will be more respectful than the ones that are just there to "party".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
How can you all differentiate between such itty bitty states? There are lots of counties here in Oregon that are larger than a lot os whole states. Klamath county, not the states largest, is larger than 3 states over there combined. Grandfather didn't say which ones. If I drove from the pacific ocean east to Idaho, and drove the equivalent distance from Boston west, I'd be at about the Ohio border. And would have driven through several regions.

East Coast bias! Razz
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Erg, why does Answerman bother answering the same questions over and over again? Certainly the column must get other questions!

Probably to keep people from emailing him dumb art that looks suspiciously like Goku saying "I gots a great nu idea lol"

I recall ANN doing some editorials to help but to no avail.

fawhooooosh!
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Also, that painting looks like something Salvidor Dali would do...I need to whip out my goofy 8 dollar book with his stuff!

Or just print out that banner and use it as a dart board

fawhoooosh!
Nermal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
yeah the artist who did the painting in the banner is said to have influenced surrealism
Shinji Takase

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Hunter Sopko wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
Quote:
there are no other really large conventions in the Northeast to compete with it

So aparently Otakon is to small for this person to notice... or any of these 1000+ attendee NE cons. AnimeNext (NY/NJ), Animazement (NC), Katsucon (DC), Tekkoshocon (Pittsburg), Anime Mid-Atlantic (VA), Anime USA (VA), Nekocon (VA)

Out of those you mentioned, only AnimeNext is actually in the Northeast. The rest are in the central east. Pennsylvania is a grey area, though.

Geography is always ambiguous. Boston is considered New England, while PA and New Jersey is considered Northeast. I consider Maryland to be Mid-Atlantic since it's below the Mason-Dixon line and isn't really The South.

Geography is not ambiguous to the car you have to drive, the plane/train/bus ticket you have to buy, or the arrangements you have to make to get anywhere.

And not everyone is going to have access to private transportation - ie, a car or the transforming mecha.

Takase Shinji
RodimusBen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
I, too, am getting sick of the repetitive "how do I get into the industry" questions. I think that this week's particular question, though, was symptomatic of the lazy and frankly frightening work mentatlity of many young people today. The notion that anyone would believe that there is a job where you just think of ideas and never follow through with them screams to me that the writer of the question has no notion of the concept of hard work, or is so naive enough to believe that such a thing exists. Even the most successful creators of all time have spent countless thousands of hours sweating blood for their creations in order to get them on the page or the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
evaunit00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I attended the Metrocon Convention this pass weekend in Tampa, Florida and after having to be around all the children, I mean young persons with no respect for other, I don't know if I want to go to another con. I do enjoy meeting the guest and sitting in panels. But some people need to learn to shut up while others are watching a new show or are listening to a guest answer questions. After getting to talk to one of the VA guest during autogrphs he agreed with me that this bothered him too. I understand peolpe of different ages are going to these cons and I'm 28, so a little older than most people there, some level of maturity needs to be shown. Not everyone wants to see you bouncing off the walls and acting like a idiot. Just some advice for future attendies, be excited and happy your there, but remember there are others there to enjoy themselves to.
klamsd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I am just tired of reading the same questions OVER and OVER again in Answerman. It's really become one of the more repetitive sections. And the jaded attitude of the editor of the section doesn't help either. If you're tired of answering questions about how to get into the anime industry - then simply don't answer them. The fact that the majority of questions are related to "breaking into the anime industry", you might as well brace yourself with the fact that there are a lot of people interested in that issue.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
klamsd wrote:
I am just tired of reading the same questions OVER and OVER again in Answerman. It's really become one of the more repetitive sections. And the jaded attitude of the editor of the section doesn't help either. If you're tired of answering questions about how to get into the anime industry - then simply don't answer them. The fact that the majority of questions are related to "breaking into the anime industry", you might as well brace yourself with the fact that there are a lot of people interested in that issue.

Fortunatly, Zac has heard our pleas:

Zac wrote:
Quote:
halochief_90 wrote:

Answerman is my favorite column to read on this site, but it's starting to feel like a rerun.

I hear your complaints. I promise next week will have no "how do I break into the industry" questions.

Thanks Zac!
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
. But yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how some people act at cons. But they aren't exactly Mensa gatherings.

*coughs*

we actually had one at AUSA on the first day of the con

local chapter... quite interesting for me since they do things differently where I am from.

For the topic at hand? I think that this is definately a problem. I've been watching anime for a long time, also been to every Otakon... ever.

Anime USA? Check!
Wizard World? Gotcha!
Nekocon? You betcha!
Anime MidAtlantic? See you folks in two weeks!

And having been to more than a few cons, in more than a few areas I can't help but agree that the attitude of the fans has really gone to hell in the past 2-3 years.

I could go point-by-point, but I the people I would address the message to are the same that would ignore this post to being with, so why bother?

So let me say it to the rest of you. We need to police our own once again. Back in the 90s and the early part of this decade there was a pretty clear set of rules, and if you were an ass about them, someone usually set you straight. It might have been the hotel or con staff, but usually it was another fan who politely, but firmly let you know that your behavior wasn't appreciated.

I don't see that anymore. I also don't see people who are as careful in their appearance or consideration either.

I find it very disheartening when I show up to Otakon and get the 3d degree because I am wearing a button shirt and clean khackis/jeans. I couldn't believe that what was considered normal attire just a year or two ago was now considered a novelty because we had let our standards slip so much!!!

And don't get me started on cosplay. No problem with cosplay, regardless of gender. You want crossplay? Uhm... okay, not my cup of tea, but then again I don't do cosplay either so who am I to judge? But when I can tell what religion or what your natural hair color is due to how you cosplay... we've crossed a line people, and "being artistic" (an excuse I often hear when people are called on inappropriate cosplay) just doesn't cut it.

What else? Where does it say anywhere on any con's website, flyer, or registration form that they have to provide you with the ability to get drunk out of your minds? I was actually speaking with a well-known anime VA about this and we couldn't believe the grumbling from attendees because "there weren't any good parties on Thurday night."

Hello? I'm sorry, but the con doesn't begin until Friday morning. Additionally, I don't recall a boozefest being on the schedule of events. If you want to go drink... find a bar that will let you in. A good majority of us are here for an anime con because we enjoy... anime.

Apparently that is a tough concept for many to understand.

Another thing, since we're ranting here. Did it ever dawn on anyone that we've got people who are at a hotel who AREN'T here for the con? One of the most embarassing moments of my professional career was when I was at a conference held at the same convention center as a mid-sized anime con. The attendees behaved incredibly poorly, and I was very disappointed to have to admit that I knew some of them when they addressed me by name in a highly inebriated state... at 10 in the morning on a weekday

Great story about our personal behavior here. Brought my gf (who is not into anime) to a con. At 2AM in the hallway, a pair of our fine upstanding young otaku decided to glomp her. I did not enjoy having to explain to her that she maced two people whom did not intend her any harm. Do I blame her? Nope... but I do them.

While on the subject of public behavior. I don't think I've been to a con in the last year and a half where I didn't see someone have a mental meltdown in public. You know what? I don't really care if someone else dressed in the same cosplay as you? If it looks good, it looks good. There's plenty of space in the world for two people at the same con with similar cosplay

Let me repeat this one for those of us who need the short bus: It's...okay...if...someone...else...dresses...like...you.

And nowhere, but nowhere does it become excuseable for anime fans to be blatently rude to others. I am not you dad, but I will smack you so hard your great-grantparents will feel it if I think it's necessary. Case in point. Nekocon this past year I catch a large number of fans heckling a bunch of Marines who are using the same hotel in celebration of the anniversary commerating the creation of the Marine Corps. The Marines were rather well behaved, regardless of their state of inebiriation. I was on a floor predominantly populated by these fine folks and they behaved in the true spirit of their oath. The fans? Nope. I find them openly making rude remarks to our armed servicemen and women. It takes a lot of courage to heckle someone who puts their life on the line for you when you're in a crowd, or jumping into an elevator.

I also see people go nuts because they don't like a con schedule. Sorry but I have to ask why you, the people who aren't volunteering to do a panel, gopher, or staff a con in any way, shape or form feel that you need to carry on high if you didn't get what you want. Yes, you paid your money... everyone appreciates that. But just because they're not playing the whole FMA series does not give you an excuse to act like a complete and total ass. There is almost always a panel or forum for complaints and suggestions... feel free to use them so that you can constructively criticize what you think was done wrong.

I used to get a bit miffed that certain panels weren't hosted at cons. I got over it because I ended up volunteering myself to do the panels, and anything else that might be asked of me. If I am going to identify a problem, then at the least I ought to offer to help take care of it, right?

And of course, that leads us into the ever popular "how do I get into the industry" bit. I don't think I've gone to a con in the past 4 years where this question wasn't asked in each and every VA panel, and nearly every industry panel. I am truly amazed that a guest hasn't completely lost it at one point when dealing with this, especially since the same people seem to ask this question at every event. Long story short... if you don't have the experience, don't bother asking until you take the time to learn a little first. Odds are that you're not going to understand the answer. I would love to be a professional animator. I don't have the background or experience, so I don't ask those kind of questions. Google is still free everybody, most of what you need to get started is there. Once you get to a point where you are dangerous in a field, start to consult the professionals to point you in the right direction. Remember, the industry people are here to have fun too, and they are just as human as you or I... so give them the same courtesy.

Really, this kind of stuff makes me see red. But what it comes down to is all of us. We need to start watching our own, and speaking up when we see something that is inappropriate and portrays the anime community in a negative light. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Remember you are a representative of the community. Lead by example and precept.

grrr... good post to rant on Smile
CptNerd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I have a question and a rant that haven't appeared, but I'm pretty sure Zac won't like it, and I'm too tired with the subject to write about it. Basically I'm sure he's pissed off at me because I keep emailing him once every two months or so that I still haven't gotten the caption contest prize I supposedly won back in December. But you know what, I don't care anymore. I consider this yet another hard lesson learned the hard way.

How's that for a rant?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
CptNerd wrote:
I have a question and a rant that haven't appeared, but I'm pretty sure Zac won't like it, and I'm too tired with the subject to write about it. Basically I'm sure he's pissed off at me because I keep emailing him once every two months or so that I still haven't gotten the caption contest prize I supposedly won back in December. But you know what, I don't care anymore. I consider this yet another hard lesson learned the hard way.

How's that for a rant?

What prize was that? I'm not getting your emails, bud.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I like what someone said about the changing face of fandom in light of anime getting pretty mainstream.

I am reminded one story a friend told me. He said he saw this bratty kid with a parent in the dealer's room. The parent tried to help point stuff out in the dealer's room. The kid basically told the parent off with some comment like, "That's One Piece, stupid. I like Naruto. Stop pointing things out. You're wrong." And then the parent went on to buy the brat crap.

Of course, then there's the chubby Sakura cosplayer that a friend told me he sat next to that kept saying stuff like "I'm Saaakura and I'm gonna marry Saaasuke. Ooooo."

-Xenos
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6