• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-06-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kizoku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I've never been to an anime convention yet but I have been to lots of science fiction cons. Do you have any group that handles security? At one science fiction con I attended there was a group, part of the staff, who wore red t-shirts with bulls-eyes on the back. (An in-joke, the redshirted security guards in Star Trek always died first.) They watched the huckster's room, the art show, helped quiet people down, etc. There are always people who get carried away but it never gets out of hand. There are easily identifiable people whose job it is to see it doesn't.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
Actually, there usually is physical security of one type or another for most cons.

Sadly, there aren't a lot of people who volunteer who actually understand what that entails, and they end up being less effective. This is true for almost any con where you don't have someone who actually knows what they are doing in charge of security.

There was one con down in FL where the head of security and a few of the volunteers were police and NG MPs. You could tell that they helped educate a lot of the staffers and I'll be damned if that wasn't the most well-behaved con I'd even been to.

Fact is that too many anime fans think that a con, or love of anime is an excuse to act like an inconsiderate ass, to test boundaries, or to create all sorts of drama for the con with the mentality of OMGZ, I likez teh anime, soz I must bring teh dramaz, because you couldn't possibly understand how I feelz about it

And this is indiscriminate of age, or any other limitating factor.

Personally, I think that once a few more of the major cons get banned from places or earn bad reps, this will continue.

I really hope that I am wrong though.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
kizoku wrote:
They watched the huckster's room, the art show, helped quiet people down, etc. There are always people who get carried away but it never gets out of hand. There are easily identifiable people whose job it is to see it doesn't.

Go to ANY anime con forum, look for any thread with "security" in the title, if the thread itself isn't devoted to attendees ranting about the "nazis" on security treating them badly, SOMEONE will have chimed in to that effect within short order.

I've been to cons on both coasts and across the south, and staffed at pretty much all levels. My perception has been:
grab 100 random troublemakers or people who are causing a disturbance at an anime con. Ask them 10 questions about any anime that hasn't run on Cartoon Network, and you can even throw in SOME of the ones that did. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that at least 95 out of 100 (I'll allow for 5% of any group of people to be complete morons) won't be able to answer. Grab 100 anime fans that CAN answer your questions, I'll bet that at least 95 out of 100 give the convention no problems larger than complaining about the video schedule or not seeing the big name guest they wanna see.

I say this because while I would NEVER seek to boot people simply because they lack information (or are otherwise "newbies" to anime fandom), I also see no reason to cater to people who are NOT anime fans and have no desire to BECOME anime fans.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I was actually going to joke about that, saying that if we instituted a quiz at the doors, the rowdy partiers would never get in.

For instance:

Doorman: Okay, that'll be $x, but a couple questions first: what's your favorite anime?

Suspicious college student: ...Naruto.

Doorman: Okay, who's your favorite character in "Naruto"?

SCS: ...Naruto, man. Yeah, he's the bomb.

Doorman: Sorry, wrong answer. No fan of "Naruto" actually likes Naruto. Entrance denied. Have a nice day.
CptNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CptNerd wrote:
I have a question and a rant that haven't appeared, but I'm pretty sure Zac won't like it, and I'm too tired with the subject to write about it. Basically I'm sure he's pissed off at me because I keep emailing him once every two months or so that I still haven't gotten the caption contest prize I supposedly won back in December. But you know what, I don't care anymore. I consider this yet another hard lesson learned the hard way.

How's that for a rant?

What prize was that? I'm not getting your emails, bud.

To: "Andrew Diseker" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: December caption prize
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:07:05 -0800

Got it. I actually did mail your prize out; I'll resend this week.

Apologies for the delay.

-Zac Bertschy
Executive Editor, Anime News Network

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Diseker" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 3:57 AM
Subject: December caption prize

Zac,

Still waiting for the December Robotech prize. I emailed my
address several times, asking for a reply if you got it, but
nothing. Address is below.

Andrew Diseker
--

Lexonia Internet Services
15 W. Glebe Rd. #A22
Alexandria VA
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
CptNerd wrote:
stuff

And you still didn't get it? I'm starting to think the woman who picks up outgoing parcels from my house is screwing with me.

Let me see what I can do. I'll email you.
CptNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CptNerd wrote:
stuff

And you still didn't get it? I'm starting to think the woman who picks up outgoing parcels from my house is screwing with me.

Let me see what I can do. I'll email you.

USPS will put a tracking number for reference for about 60 cents. I don't know if you're using them, but you need some way of tracking what you send. It doesn't guarantee delivery but will tell you intermediate stops along the way. I have an Amazon seller site and I send the things people buy using USPS w/tracking. Very cheap, and worth the trouble.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
While you sending stuff Zac, can you send me a cute little fluffy luv bunny?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6