• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - June 3rd - June 9th

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormrider
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads-up...

Showtime Beyond is running Peacemaker on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday with Chrono Crusade.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now cartoonnetwork.com is saying Eureka 7 is on tonight at 12:00 AM and 3:00 AM, but for the next two weeks it will be on at 1:30 AM and 4:30 AM. WTF is going on over there?

Eh, I watch it on the Fix anyway, so I'm good, but damn, all [as] is getting in terms of anime this year is Bleach. InuYasha will be over in October and who knows what may happen to Eureka 7. Considering all of the anime I watch is on TV, I might be screwed!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
And if they hate it like some people say, why did they acquire it in the first place?

hype and demand. Kim Manning said herself they don't like every show they pick up.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Where are people getting this "Adult Swim hates Eureka 7" thing? I'm not defending Adult Swim/Eureka 7, I just honestly haven't heard anything about this before and I'm curious.

I wouldn't know if they've said something to the effect of "P.S. - we hate Eureka 7, have fun watching it at its new crappy time" during the bumps, since I haven't really watched any anime on Adult Swim since glorious, glorious Paranoia Agent came and went. I'm just interested if there are any statements to back these claims up, or if it's just some "this show I like has been given a bad timeslot, CLEARLY Adult Swim wants to shove red hot pokers in my eyes" exaggeration.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
luhead wrote:
Um, wait, I just looked at the Adult Swim home page and it shows Eureka as being on at 12:00
and 1:30, so I don't know what's going on. I guess we will see.

Look

It is airing at midnight right now.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I know. Everyone is free to call me an idiot as much as they want for the next 27 hours, please do Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop . My only consolidation is that the click got it wrong too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Paranioa Agents back! Lame timeslot but YES! It's back!

Then again, "smart anime" has never done good for [as] as any anime not Inu Yasha or Cowboy Bebop (not saying the later are dumb, they just more actioned up that PA) has typically failed after a few runs.

I don't think [as] has it out for anime it's just anime is in a slump. Lets hope the kids out of school will finally pull down some anime ratings.

fawhoooosh!
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
AS didn't change Eureka 7's time slot because they don't like the show. They moved it to a later time because people aren't watching it. FMA premieres never got pushed back to 1:30 because the ratings for it were good (at least by AS anime standards). I'm sure the folks at AS would have been thrilled for Eureka to be a huge hit.

Eureka Seven hasn't been doing any worse than most of the FMA premieres did. It's been relatively stable around 300,000 18-34 viewers, which is no worse than anything else running currently and, by all logic, gives them no reason to put it at the very end of the block.
luhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Stormrider wrote:

Mirage of Blaze has taken over the old Street Fighter II V slot on Encore Wam.

Shocked That's quite a transition. Has anyone at WAM ever seen Mirage of Blaze, I wonder?
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote
Stormrider wrote:
Just a heads-up...

Showtime Beyond is running Peacemaker on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday with Chrono Crusade.

Mirage of Blaze has taken over the old Street Fighter II V slot on Encore Wam.

Caught the second one, but the first is news to me.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
That's one messed up "vision", but that's not how it works. I really wouldn't watch anything that mashes together anime and Family Guy. In order for anime to be universally accepted, we need more shows like Lost. Which follow complex plots like anime. Sadly, CSI and Law and Order hogs 99% of spotlight giving Lost like the other 1%! If more people place there big budgets into story development, more people would watch shows like anime. In the end, people just watch what everyone else is watching.[/b]

Your plan to to gain anime'[s universal acceptance is to have more shows like LOST. Smile

What I was trying to say is that having more shows like Lost is the step in the right direction. If people start enjoying more continuous plot lines like that show, maybe some will start to get interested in anime (since it does the same thing most of the time). And considering how popular Lost has been in the passed few years, I think people want more of it.

But it's not like I'm saying it's my "master" scheme to get anime universally accepted. That will never happen. Yes, the fact that it's a cartoon will turn off a least half the market. Anime will never be universally accepted, no matter how hard we try. Even awesome movies, like Princess Mononoke, despite darling reviews, plummeted in theatres.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh sorry, I guess I took it the wrong way because you said:
halochief_90 wrote:
In order for anime to be universally accepted, we need more shows like Lost.
But what you really meant is:
halochief_90 wrote:
Anime will never be universally accepted, no matter how hard we try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coldspider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But before we get into all of that, I just wanted to share with everyone a fantastic dream I had the other night. No, not a dream; a vision. Look, we all know anime on TV targeted towards adults is simply circling the drain, for a number of reasons: casual audiences aren’t ready to watch cartoons that take themselves more seriously than South Park; hardcore anime fans are too uptight to watch dubbed, time-shortened episodes of shows they’ve already seen; the timeslots given to these shows are terrible and they receive no promotion. We know all that. But then I started thinking, what if, to follow in Spike TV’s footsteps with their forthcoming Afro Samurai, a show was produced to fit almost perfectly with the tastes of the coveted 18-34 demographic?

And then, one night, such a thing appeared to me. “MANNIX: The Anime.” Yes, hard-drinkin’, hard-fightin’ tough guy Joe Mannix, back in the saddle in a not-too-distant dystopian future where only his two fists and lots of car chases separate justice from, uh, injustice. There were also lots and lots of cool-looking aliens and robots. And instead of his sassy black secretary, Anime Mannix From the Future has a cute, spunky little girl orphan (to, y’know, get that “moe” crowd watching) as well as her lovably ostentatious mecha guardian to handle his paperwork. In a pinch, the two can team up to form MOE-BOT, which Anime Mannix From the Future uses to mow down bad guys and is also in negotiations with several leading toy manufacturers for marketing purposes. In short, lots of action, no pretension, and drama in the form of drinking, fistfights, and exploding cars. With robot and aliens. When I awoke, I knew I had been guided by some divine force, telling me to preach this message on high from the tallest pedestal: “A Mannix anime would solve ALL problems. Forever.”

That vision sounds a lot like Heat Guy J. XD

As for the state of more mature oriented anime,awhile back there was talk of FMA going into syndication on a Satelite channel.It there's going to be any sort of 2nd anime revolution,it probably lies on syndicated televison.One of my local channels (KCAL-9) carries reruns of South Park,CSI,and ER.(and probably a handful of other series I'm not aware of)

Content wise,airing something like FMA on broadcast television shouldn't be a problem.The language on South Park seems a little cleaned up,but CSI and ER as well as South Park all stay intact.And CSI and ER can get pretty intense at times.

If Funimation,ADV,or Geneon can successfully sell any of their series to a good number of local affiliates across the country,there's a good chance of revitalizing interest in anime.Hell,if anime starts showing up on local channels and ratings are high enough,we could be seeing anime on *gasp* network television in the future.

(^which honestly shoudn't even be that farfetched now.the majority of sitcoms suck,and new reality shows are lame)
coldspider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:

But it's not like I'm saying it's my "master" scheme to get anime universally accepted. That will never happen. Yes, the fact that it's a cartoon will turn off a least half the market. Anime will never be universally accepted, no matter how hard we try. Even awesome movies, like Princess Mononoke, despite darling reviews, plummeted in theatres.

It's a cultural problem.It's the same reason why Futbol (Soccer) has never really taken off in the U.S. (hopefully the World Cup can change things this time around)

When Americans think of "animation",they think of Looney Toons,Shrek,Finding Nemo,Spongebob,etc.

When they think of "mature animation",they think of South Park,Family Guy,Robot Chicken,Drawn Together,Aqua Teen,etc.

Ever since The Simpsons,popular mature animated programs have been considered more or less as animated sitcoms with some weird twists here and there.During the anime boom,the perception of mature animation to started to change a little,but with the success of [as] Comedy things have pretty much reverted.

On the brightside,*WE'VE* grown-up with anime.And it's safe to say more and more people are getting into anime thanks to the anime boom a couple of years ago.As time goes on and we're in our 30's or 40's,no one's going to have to explain anime to us because we already *get it*.The exact same thing is happening with Soccer in the U.S. Kids are actually growing up with the sport and now have the opportunity to attend major league games.Eventually,there could come a time when Soccer is considered a mainstream sport in the U.S.
VML

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'M PISSED!!!!

I stayed up til 1:30 am just to watch Eureka 7. All they showed was a rerun of Cowboy Bebop! Then I looked at zap2it.com and it said that Eureka 7 will be on a 3 am. WTF?! I hate the fact that [adult swim] can be so messy with the schedules. Why did they do that?! Sad Was Eureka 7 shown at its normal time, which was/is 12 am? Or did the show's times changed and AS lied about its new times? I'm confused!

BTW, I live in the pacific time zone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3