• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Comic Party Revolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Geneon & Viz (now) are basically American fronts of Japanese companies-probably Bandai also, don't think much about them. CPM is (was?) a mom & pop-type shop. I love MediaBlasters, but they feel like swap meet guys/people selling stuff out of the back of a van on the side of the road-they don't necessarily feel like anime fans as much as in it to make a profit, but they'll throw in some extras to close the deal. Funi had all their eggs in the DB/Z basket for awhile & I worried about them, but they got bought up, or expanded or whatever & found a direction after their cash cow has pretty much played out.
To fill out the list, Synch-Point is also an American branch of a Japanese company, and let's not forget smaller companies like TRSI and AnimEigo, both of which are run by old-school anime fans. TRSI is a bit more in touch with current fandom, though AE looks almost ready to close up shop after re-releasing the Oh! My Goddess OVAs and finishing Urusei Yatsura.
CCSYueh wrote:
Right now they really seem to lack much understanding of the female market, pursuing all these magical girl shows like Sister Princess, Princess Yucie, etc. They hit lucky with stuff like Saiyuki & GetBackers, but those are shonen with yaoi undertones.
Okay, I have to ask, have you seen Sister Princess, or are you just going off the title? ADV has done other Magical Girl titles like Sailor Moon (first two seasons), Prétear, and Wedding Peach, but SP is nothing but a harem/comedy series based on a dating game. Not only does it lack Magical Girl transformations and the typical "save the world from evil" plot, it features a guy who finds out he has twelve younger sisters, all of which call him some creative variant of "Big Brother," several of which seem to have "more than sibling" feelings for him...SP is surprisingly light on fanservice, but it's aimed at guys, 100%. (not to be mean, but the record must be set straight)
I have to wonder, is there any way to consistently appeal to the female audience? I just don't run into many female fans IRL or online who are heavily into drama/romance/shoujo/Magical Girl, the genres typically aimed at women/girls in Japan. It's usually either shounen-ai, male-oriented action series (a phenomenon of girls crossing over into "male" territory tending to have male-type preferences), or a mix of male & female-targeted anime that they like.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just don't run into many female fans IRL or online who are heavily into drama/romance/shoujo/Magical Girl, the genres typically aimed at women/girls in Japan.

I like all of those genres, but I guess you're right since I really haven't seen too many female Magical Girl fans. Honestly, most of the Magical Girl fans I know are male.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so Sister Princess is harem which is jiggle (or pre-jiggle lolita which I'm not getting into). ADV had a lot of jiggle/harem titles.
I'd put Princess TuTu in there-nice story & all, but it is still magical girl like Pretear, etc.

My tastes run to yaoi & shonen. I lack the patience for most shojo. Boys Over Flowers-I have abandoned that manga 3 times now-I need to stay away. The only shojo I've kept gladly up past vol 7 on is From Far Away, Please Save My Earth, Hana Kimi, Hot Gimmick...Clamp titles...Red River is getting close to drop status. Platinum Garden looks good, but that's just started & is only 10 volumes according to Tokyo Pop's website, so I might just last the whole set.
Don't get me started on Yu Watase. My daughter laughs at how frustrated I get. "Why do you buy it?" Because the bishies are pretty, then she kills them! Argh.

Magical girl..Wedding Peach was good because it was a spoof. Pretear's bishies made up for the plot holes. Magical Boys are more fun-Kyo Kara Maoh. ADV had Tactics, but dropped it, preferring to release Mythical Det. Loki Ragnarok. Yes, same artist, but there is more jiggle & magical girl action in Ragnarok than in Tactics.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh:
Quote:
At one time they said they license things that they like which is why it's hard for some to pin them down, but they like action. comedy & jiggle.

Well their titles are becoming increasingly lacking in humour and titilation. They're just gimmicky.

Quote:
Right now they really seem to lack much understanding of the female market, pursuing all these magical girl shows like Sister Princess, Princess Yucie, etc.

The problem is most of those shows don't appeal to girls in the first place. At least not girls in the U.S. I don't see the point in licensing titles with Western themes like Princess
Tutu and Moby Dick when people buy anime because it's Japanese.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
CCSYueh:
Quote:
At one time they said they license things that they like which is why it's hard for some to pin them down, but they like action. comedy & jiggle.

Well their titles are becoming increasingly lacking in humour and titilation. They're just gimmicky.

Quote:
Right now they really seem to lack much understanding of the female market, pursuing all these magical girl shows like Sister Princess, Princess Yucie, etc.

The problem is most of those shows don't appeal to girls in the first place. At least not girls in the U.S. I don't see the point in licensing titles with Western themes like Princess
Tutu and Moby Dick when people buy anime because it's Japanese.

I can easily see why. Even with a Western theme, it's fresh and new. It's done with a Japanese perspective and carries that flavor. Besides, Princess Tutu was created in Japan, not from a pre-existing story like Moby Dick. Additionally, people in the U.S. are more likely to gravitate towards titles with a western theme because there is a familiarity crossed with a medium they love. It's that simple. It's about a mass audience appeal, not just appealing to girls alone. They just need to have better marketing for some of the titles. At the very least, it has little to do with your reasoning I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Godai:
Quote:
Even with a Western theme, it's fresh and new. It's done with a Japanese perspective and carries that flavor.

If I want Western media with a Japanese flavor, I'll watch Kill Bill or Last Samurai.

Quote:
Besides, Princess Tutu was created in Japan, not from a pre-existing story like Moby Dick.

But it still is perceived as Western in style.

Quote:
Additionally, people in the U.S. are more likely to gravitate towards titles with a western theme because there is a familiarity crossed with a medium they love.

So how come Spirited Away did better at the box office than Howl? Hell, even Metropolis did better than Steamboy. And the most obvious example is how Naruto's beating One Piece. And as I've previously stated, I'm not sure how the Emma manga's going to do here, either. Hollywood has more Victorian-themed media than Japan, so for Japan, it's more of a novelty than it is in the U.S.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Godai:
Quote:
Even with a Western theme, it's fresh and new. It's done with a Japanese perspective and carries that flavor.

If I want Western media with a Japanese flavor, I'll watch Kill Bill or Last Samurai.
Not that your tastes are reflective of the whole of anime fandom, or we'd all be in trouble...
Quote:

Quote:
Besides, Princess Tutu was created in Japan, not from a pre-existing story like Moby Dick.

But it still is perceived as Western in style.
Not that I disputed that, but Western themes have been going on for longer than a decade so it doesn't matter if it's percieved that way or not... besides, my further elaboration of that point explained why I felt it benefitted from it, rather than not.
Quote:

Quote:
Additionally, people in the U.S. are more likely to gravitate towards titles with a western theme because there is a familiarity crossed with a medium they love.

So how come Spirited Away did better at the box office than Howl? Hell, even Metropolis did better than Steamboy. And the most obvious example is how Naruto's beating One Piece. And as I've previously stated, I'm not sure how the Emma manga's going to do here, either. Hollywood has more Victorian-themed media than Japan, so for Japan, it's more of a novelty than it is in the U.S.

You really need to ask that? It's the overall quality of writing that comes into play here (and marketing moreover) that makes or breaks a title, not the percieved theme. Porco Rosso is deeply Western in content and many people will laude that one over Spirited Away and Howl's.

It's possible the perception of Western themes in anime is more likely to help a title to be successful than not. Sister Princess is a stinking pile of poo, and more Japanese in its feel than Western perceptions. Escaflowne is more european in feel and did tremendously better here in the U.S. than it did in Japan. Same applies for series like Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist, which are also themed with Western concepts and yet are highly successful amongst the US audience. Like I said, it's the writing that's the problem, not the theme or perception itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Godai:
Quote:
Not that your tastes are reflective of the whole of anime fandom, or we'd all be in trouble...

Those aren't my tastes. I'm just making a point that they're as Japanese as Gankutsuou. If I wanted rotoscoping, I'd see something from Richard Linklater.

Quote:
You really need to ask that? It's the overall quality of writing that comes into play here (and marketing moreover) that makes or breaks a title, not the percieved theme.

And if the writing seems derivative, then people don't watch.

Quote:
Porco Rosso is deeply Western in content and many people will laude that one over Spirited Away and Howl's.

The average younger fan will think of Mononoke and Spirited Away when Miyazaki's name comes up. Porco Rosso's more familiar with the hardcore Miyazaki fans who've been watching his work since Nausicaa or Cagliostro.

Quote:
Sister Princess is a stinking pile of poo, and more Japanese in its feel than Western perceptions.

The concept(conceit?) of a bunch of girls swooning over one guy isn't inherently Japanese. If that were the case, you could lump Sister Princess in with Ranma and Love Hina, which are successful, because they have uniquely Japanese takes on the harem concept.

Quote:
Escaflowne is more european in feel and did tremendously better here in the U.S. than it did in Japan.

Escaflowne did better here, because it didn't have to compete against Evangelion. And it's only European on the surface, with a Japanese-style characters and story.

Godai:
Quote:
Same applies for series like Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist, which are also themed with Western concepts and yet are highly successful amongst the US audience.

Cowboy Bebop did well, because of its Japanese take on Western archtypes. FMA is popular because it filters Japanese
takes on science through Western know-how. Detective Conan, on the other hand, looks totally Western, and it disappointed.

Quote:
Like I said, it's the writing that's the problem, not the theme or perception itself.

There are a number of titles which have good writing, but which just don't catch on here. Look at Kaleido star. Or Slam Dunk.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:37 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of girls that enjoy Anime. I know, I am one. Go Netflix.

Except for particular shows like Witch Hunter Robin, Azumanga Daioh, Kino's Journey and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (when it makes it over here), I can't imagine buying most shows. I did buy Princess Tutu but mostly because the early ones rocked but I need to catch up on it a bit before I buy more.

I do like how certain shows now are beginning to get "rebate" versions.

I have weird interests, I like the adaptations of Koge Donbo's mangas as much as certain bloody stuff. Kashimashi was really cool towards the start.

Slice of life with a weirdish twist like Haruhi appeals to me and a good deal of the big anime-fangirls I personally know (not exactly an unbiased sampling but *shrugs*). There's just not a lot of brand loyalty because you can get anime for free plus time with fan-subs (and those you can't get anymore just trade with a friend who followed it before it got licensed). I'm probably the only fangirl among my particular group who like a lot...for collection...buys anime DVDs and even then it's a lot less and pretty different in interest than the anime fanboys I know. Swag sure but DVDs only rarely. Just my personal experience on that part brought up. Gomen.

More than anything I hope ADV keeps the clever manga-like construction of the original Comic Party set or something comparable.

Last edited by Fallen Embers on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Besides, Princess Tutu was created in Japan, not from a pre-existing story like Moby Dick. Additionally, people in the U.S. are more likely to gravitate towards titles with a western theme because there is a familiarity crossed with a medium they love.
Of course, the problem with Moby Dick is that most people under 30 dislike that book for being a dead white guy's long, boring, 19th-century novel, whose sections on the technical aspects of whaling make the Naruto fillers look thrilling in comparison. (Don't get me wrong, I like Melville and some of his other works, but Moby Dick...not so much.)

GATSU wrote:
Escaflowne did better here, because it didn't have to compete against Evangelion.

Evangelion: 1995-10-04 to 1996-03-27
Escaflowne: 1996-04-02 to 1996-09-24
They didn't air at the same time--was it that people were tired of philosophical mecha after NGE ended?
EDIT:
GATSU wrote:
Zalis: I'm aware that Escaflowne came after Evangelion. That's part of its problem. It had to suffer from being second out of the gate, and thus it didn't have the same hype.
OK, this is reasonable. I just interpreted "compete against" as competing directly for viewership.[/edit]

Idk, ADV seems to be going in strange directions these days...I remember searching for fansubs of Diamond Daydreams and being shocked at how hard they were to find; I didn't think that that series would have been licensed at all, much less by ADV. This Ugly Yet Beautiful World was slightly surprising, though I've heard that it's etchi enough for their standards. Maybe this is a "growing pain" period, a readjustment upon realizing that they can't make so many choices on fanboy grounds alone. Best of luck to them.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis: I'm aware that Escaflowne came after Evangelion. That's part of its problem. It had to suffer from being second out of the gate, and thus it didn't have the same hype.

Quote:
They didn't air at the same time--was it that people were tired of philosophical mecha after NGE ended?

If they were, then the movie wouldn't have been a hit. I'm guessing Escaflowne didn't do well in Japan, because it was competing against the likes of Final Fantasy. RPGs were all the rage back then, and it didn't really have anything new to offer in that area, either, with the exception of a more original plotline. Maybe if it had a videogame tie-in like Sakura Wars, it might have found a larger following.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Of course, the problem with Moby Dick is that most people under 30 dislike that book for being a dead white guy's long, boring, 19th-century novel, whose sections on the technical aspects of whaling make the Naruto fillers look thrilling in comparison. (Don't get me wrong, I like Melville and some of his other works, but Moby Dick...not so much.)

English major brigade! Anime smile *charge* No, I totally understand. It's only fun to read in a class where a professor can tell you what the heck is actually going on. Hehe Queequag and Ishmael...the original Yaoi-suggestive coupling. I don't like the anime for purely...it doesn't improve on the source material-reasons. There are anime that wrestle with the really nifty bits of "What is God?" and "Are we pushed by a divine hand of fate, have free will or just subject to chance? Or all three" And it's a shame because I think Eastern storytelling best connects with the style of Meville where each character speaks for themselves with their own interpretation and that's not the definite answer to things and things aren't neatly woven together but just are there for you to take what you think out of things. That's like a lot of anime I know and love. And that would kick-a to get together in the right balance! *bummed it hasn't happened more and better*

But I did have more fun reading Bartleby...

I hope ADV keeps this set to a single volume and doesn't do like Gantz or...FLCL (although different company and dealie)
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

English major brigade! Anime smile

ENGMAJ stand and be counted! Haha. Not a big Moby Dick fan myself, hence having little to no interest in the anime version.... sorta know how it ends. Rolling Eyes

Anyway back to topic, I enjoyed Comic Party and am looking forward to seeing the OVA! C'moooooon bring it to anime network so I don't have to buy anything!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
Where's the love for Princess Tutu, Comic Party and This Ugly and Beautiful World? All titles don't have to be mainstream to find an audience.

Princess Tutu is a great title imo to bring over. It combined ballet and anime beautifully. I hope that ADV brought the specials over too. Loads of people like The Nutcracker. It's a holiday tradition on TV where I grew up.

Yeah, Comic Party is a harem title, but it's funny. I hope that it makes alot of money so that the rest of this franchise can come over. I also hope that the box rivals Right Stuf's box in design.

This Ugly and Beautiful World told a poignant story. I agree that it is mildly ecchi and also mildly loli, but it's not the main emphasis of the title. Lighten up, guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2