• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Staff Opening: Manga Reviewer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Of manga companies, for example, Digital Manga Publishing (perhaps unsurprisingly) does all their review material digitally, and Dark Horse offers the option of digital review copies as well. Plenty of publishers do still only offer print review copies, though, so your point about the writer being North America-based is probably still valid, though.

Thanks for the input. I was fully aware that distributing PDF or other equivalent file formats would be way faster and cheaper than mailing paper copies. My point was, what technically possible might not be legally feasible, though. Heck, I can't even browse FUNimation's website. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Inujake7

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
Is there a deadline for applications?

When the listing is taken down, the position has been filled. There's no deadline but if you're interested you should apply ASAP. I already have a small mountain of applications.

Quote:
^ Yes this, also if there are any age restrictions if anyone else is planning to apply.

I can't hire anyone under 18, but the call is very specifically for experienced writers, so unless there's a very special case out there, that kinda cancels out people under a certain age.

Quote:

Is someone leaving?

Lissa Patillo has stepped down. No further questions on this issue will be answered.

I am to be 18 in less than two weeks and am wondering if I might be able to apply. I have a passion for both manga and writing and have taken creative writing courses in school. I also write purely for recreation so I do have experience.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Inujake, I think Zac has made it pretty clear in this thread what he's looking for and what he means by "experienced writer." Unfortunately, I don't think where you're at right now fits what he's looking for.

As someone who's a freelance writer who's been writing about anime at another website for three years, I'd like to pass on some advice that can hopefully help you along at building up the experience you need to apply for similar types of writing positions later on.

When I was really getting started with my freelance writing career, I was forunate enough that the site I write for now had an opening for someone to write about anime, and having someone I know point me to the site and encouraging me to apply. In that case, I consider myself to be rather lucky.

If you're really serious about wanting to write about manga, you could always work at developing a portfolio of work on your own. Probably the best way to do that is to start your own blog that's devoted to writing about manga, if you don't have one already. With services such as WordPress and Blogger, as well as other blogging platforms, it's really easy to start up your own blog.

You can populate the blog with manga reviews and your opinions and insights on manga. If you have your own manga collection, start reviewing the manga titles that you have. Also, if your local library or library system carries manga and has titles that you don't own, you can also check those out and review those as well.

After that, the next step is to promote your blog, and then promote it some more. One of your best tools is to utilize social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook. There's also blog distribution networks available (I write a music news blog that's syndicated through the Demand Media Studios blogger network, and there may be other networks out there as well). I can only speak for Demand Media Studios, but there is an application process you have to go through and then they have to decide whether or not they will include your blog in the network and make your content available for potential inclusion on websites that are part of their network. This is also a revenue share program, so you can work at building up a little bit of income as well. As a warning, though, don't expect to make a lot of money quickly through the DMS blogger network. I've been with them since October 2010, and I've managed to earn a few cents; luckily for me, this is simply supplemental income for other work I do, so I'm not too concerned about the low payout. Also, before applying to any blog network, be sure to read the terms and conditions and look through the fine print carefully.

If you start a blog and maintain it regularly, you'll be able to build up a portfolio of samples. If a similar position to this opens up at ANN in the future, or at some other website, then you will have samples you can use, and could even potentially be seen as an "experienced writer."

Also, good luck to everyone who has applied for this position. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Inujake7

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Inujake, I think Zac has made it pretty clear in this thread what he's looking for and what he means by "experienced writer." Unfortunately, I don't think where you're at right now fits what he's looking for.

As someone who's a freelance writer who's been writing about anime at another website for three years, I'd like to pass on some advice that can hopefully help you along at building up the experience you need to apply for similar types of writing positions later on.

When I was really getting started with my freelance writing career, I was forunate enough that the site I write for now had an opening for someone to write about anime, and having someone I know point me to the site and encouraging me to apply. In that case, I consider myself to be rather lucky.

If you're really serious about wanting to write about manga, you could always work at developing a portfolio of work on your own. Probably the best way to do that is to start your own blog that's devoted to writing about manga, if you don't have one already. With services such as WordPress and Blogger, as well as other blogging platforms, it's really easy to start up your own blog.

You can populate the blog with manga reviews and your opinions and insights on manga. If you have your own manga collection, start reviewing the manga titles that you have. Also, if your local library or library system carries manga and has titles that you don't own, you can also check those out and review those as well.

After that, the next step is to promote your blog, and then promote it some more. One of your best tools is to utilize social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook. There's also blog distribution networks available (I write a music news blog that's syndicated through the Demand Media Studios blogger network, and there may be other networks out there as well). I can only speak for Demand Media Studios, but there is an application process you have to go through and then they have to decide whether or not they will include your blog in the network and make your content available for potential inclusion on websites that are part of their network. This is also a revenue share program, so you can work at building up a little bit of income as well. As a warning, though, don't expect to make a lot of money quickly through the DMS blogger network. I've been with them since October 2010, and I've managed to earn a few cents; luckily for me, this is simply supplemental income for other work I do, so I'm not too concerned about the low payout. Also, before applying to any blog network, be sure to read the terms and conditions and look through the fine print carefully.

If you start a blog and maintain it regularly, you'll be able to build up a portfolio of samples. If a similar position to this opens up at ANN in the future, or at some other website, then you will have samples you can use, and could even potentially be seen as an "experienced writer."

Also, good luck to everyone who has applied for this position. Smile

Thanks for the reply and all of the information. I was asking him to see if there might be any chance at all I might be considered. After reading your post I realize there probably isn't much chance at all right now. Honestly writing stories and books is what I truly want to do but since I'm looking for a job and I do love anime and manga I thought it would be ideal to start off with. I don't think reviewing is what I want to really pursue because as I said, I'd rather be an author of books or short stories. Thanks again for the information and I will definately keep all of it in mind.
Yerocha

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
I submitted my application, and now I'm very nervous. I'm wondering how long it will take before we get any word back. I understand when you say you can't send responses to everyone, and it'll still probably take a few days, if not weeks, for everything to get sorted out. It's the two together that make me worried, since I begin to think I did badly until I get anything back, if I ever do.

I'm also wondering exactly how many qualified applicants there will end up being. I imagine it'll be a lot, which just makes me more nervous.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Yerocha wrote:
I submitted my application, and now I'm very nervous. I'm wondering how long it will take before we get any word back. I understand when you say you can't send responses to everyone, and it'll still probably take a few days, if not weeks, for everything to get sorted out. It's the two together that make me worried, since I begin to think I did badly until I get anything back, if I ever do.

I'm also wondering exactly how many qualified applicants there will end up being. I imagine it'll be a lot, which just makes me more nervous.

There's nothing to be nervous about. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't. You've already done what you could, and it's out of your hands. Apply to other jobs while you wait. You probably won't ever hear anything back from them if you don't get chosen, just like any other job you send an application in to. If the listing is removed like Zac says, then the job has been filled and you can probably bet they already confirmed it with that person before doing so.

Doing badly - I don't know how exactly you can do badly with an application submission like this. They have probably gotten hundreds of applicants, and if they don't pick you it doesn't mean you're bad at it. Just means they probably found someone with even more experience, or a writing style that fits what they're looking for.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
I know that the wait can be nervewracking, but like littlegreenwolf said, you did all that you could do. You just need to hang in there and hope for the best. Good luck! Smile

Yerocha wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
I'm curious, are people who write for ANN required to write under their real names? I'm not suggesting that Theron Martin is really a pseudonym for Noam Chomsky, although that would be fantastic, or aught like that, but I do wonder if the allergy to anonymity in journalism that America developed somewhere between Publius and today extends to niche entertainment journalism.

(I hasten to note that I ask for only curiosity's sake; am not an applicant, as I have no qualifications for the position and have elected not to waste the editor's time)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fightbait

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm curious, are people who write for ANN required to write under their real names? I'm not suggesting that Theron Martin is really a pseudonym for Noam Chomsky, although that would be fantastic, or aught like that, but I do wonder if the allergy to anonymity in journalism that America developed somewhere between Publius and today extends to niche entertainment journalism.

(I hasten to note that I am not an applicant, as I have no qualifications for the position and have elected not to waste the editor's time)

Are you serious!? Who the fudge are you? Your post has to be the most pretentious dribble I've ever read--and on an anime site no less. I'm a fourth year college student and I still needed my Ovaltine decoder ring to decipher your message. I truly hope that you learn that it's not the words that make you intelligent, it's how you use them.

(I hasten to note that I AM an applicant, as I am qualified for the position and have elected to sacrifice that to own you.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scott194

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Can I still submit something for a future manga reviewer opening
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2