• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Finding good Anime Music Videos

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Recently ANN posted their Anime Boston report, which included coverage of the AMV contest... I checked out the Princess Tutu video, "Hold Me Now," because it was the only video mentioned that was of an anime I'd seen all of. I loved it... a lot! And it made me remember how much I love AMVs, from back in the day when my brother would make them with two VCRs, obscure 80s music and too much time! Anyway, I don't get to go to conventions so I am not up on the world of AMVs, other than a few recommendations people have made to me over the years, I don't really get to watch any. I know there is animemusicvideos.org, but unfortunately, there is no rating system on the videos, so I'd have to sift through mountains of crap to find the gems.

So here's my question.. how do you find good AMVs? I'm totally ignorant about this stuff. And while we're at it, does anyone have videos they'd recommend, or does anyone here make their own? Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Have you watched AMV Hell 3? It is on the site you mentioned, I believe. It's about an hour long and basically comedy. Also Azumanga DIE-OH. I think those are by the same people.

Sorry for being vague. I dont watch many amv's, mostly because of what you discussed. It's not worth sifting through to find something good. Apparently I have patience problems. Smile

AMV Hell 3 and Azumanga DIE-Oh are fantastic though. I have a friend who loved amv and doesn't even watch anime. Wink

Hmm, here is the site for AMV Hell. (I decided not to be soo lazy.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
A good place to find AMVs is www.animemusicvideos.org

They have pretty much everything (save anything with a couple particular artists due to legal issues about six months ago) and its easy to find what you are looking for. Plus, everything is rated, so if something has 5 stars, its probably pretty good.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
Have you watched AMV Hell 3? It is on the site you mentioned, I believe. It's about an hour long and basically comedy.

Oh yes, I actually have seen the AMV hells, which are pretty hilarious for the most part! (I'm not sure anything beats the Eva Unit 02/Titantic parody).

And yeah, I know about animemusicvideos.org, though I didn't realize they did have a rating system.. the only problem is, they don't have a "top-rated" list or anything though, so I have no idea how to find good stuff... :\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
And yeah, I know about animemusicvideos.org, though I didn't realize they did have a rating system.. the only problem is, they don't have a "top-rated" list or anything though, so I have no idea how to find good stuff... :\
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/lists/topvidsbyfav.php
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/top10percent.php
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/stars/weeks.php

You might need to be a member to see those easily, though.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Zalis! The first link worked without being a member, although most of the videos you couldn't download without being one. So, I guess I'm signing up so I can watch me some videos. Thanks for the links.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll shall pimp this even though I'm not part of the studio (of course, why the hell would I ever be part of that Laughing )

RDS Radio/TV is an AMV interent TV show that reviews AMVs. You can find more information here:

http://www.randomdestination.com/?page=internetradio

I can assure to you the AMVs they review might interests you. Heck, this weeks showing was all about Naruto videos, and they're showing a bunch of underrated ones
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
The AMV Hells are brilliant commedic genius, even the lude and crude 0 if you take it with a grain of salt and aren't offended easily, I loved the Grenadier bit in 3 which is only funny unless you know the song that's playing spoiler["Dark Chest of Wonders" by Nightwish]. Wink Laughing
-gecko-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
I once found one with Revolutionary Girl Utena footage set to "Gravity of Love" by Enigma. It remains my favorite. I beleive it's available on AMV's site as well.

I also found another also using Utena footage with Aerosmith's "Dream On"; another favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
A great Utena AMV is one set to a hard rock version of "Hit me baby one more time." It's sort of amusing, but very well done with some bad ass edits all at the same time. I tried looking for it on animemusicvideos.org, but I couldn't find it there...
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
There's alot on youtube. This little gem http://www.youtube.com/results?tag=wizard&sort=rating_sort The Wizard of Ozaka is a personal favorite. Bleach, FMA, OP, Eva, Card Captors, you can't go wrong.
animaniacal1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
there are a lot of really great ones at sites with a big collection of videos. i think gofish is really good for it - here, you can find a lot here - http://www.gofish.com/searchVideo.gfp?searchFor=videos&keyword=amv or you can search for specific animes, so if you wanted naruto for example, the url would be http://www.gofish.com/searchVideo.gfp?searchFor=videos&keyword=naruto or the url for inuyasha would be http://www.gofish.com/searchVideo.gfp?searchFor=videos&keyword=inuyasha - hope that helps!
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The AMV Hells are brilliant commedic genius, even the lude and crude 0 if you take it with a grain of salt and aren't offended easily, I loved the Grenadier bit in 3 which is only funny unless you know the song that's playing spoiler["Dark Chest of Wonders" by Nightwish]. Wink Laughing

I personally found most of the content within the AMV Hell videos to be yawnfests. Most of it isn't so much silly as it is just random. What kept me going was occasionally there would be something that would make me laugh (I believe it was in 2 which was the whole joke about how long it takes for Shinji to spoiler[pop of Kaworu's head)] , and then I'd sit through another 20 minutes or so before seeing a similar little gem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1