• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Strike the Blood Video Anime Will Be 4-Volume Series Based on 9th Novel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
8 episode OVA's instead of 12 episode season. Nice.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
So is this 8 episode ova only covering volume 9 of the ln?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
8 episodes? Wow that's almost a full season! and OVA often are higher quality....I'm excited
nomyx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
'This is my fight' 'No Senpai, this is our fight'
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Eight OVAs based off a single LN volume sounds nice. Will it be animated by Silver Link again?

nomyx wrote:

"This line is so cliché, it makes me want to puke." "No, senpai, it makes us want to puke!" Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Hameyadea on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news - though I confess that I find the length of the series a bit off if they're covering a single novel. The typical number of episodes to cover a light novel is 4. Sometimes it's less and sometimes it's more, but in general, if a light novel gets covered in less than 4 episodes, you're losing material. Most of the books covered in the first season of Strike the Blood were covered in 4 episodes. So, to take 8 episodes to cover a single book is a lot. I wonder if the book is longer than is typical or if there was a miscommunication along the way somewhere, and they're actually covering more than the 9th book. The other oddity is that they're covering the 9th book. As I understand it, the first season covered the first 6, and the previous OVA was new material. So, if they're doing the 9th book, they're skipping two books, and from what little I know of them, they're pretty important, including stuff like spoiler[Asagi finding out about Kojou being the 4th progenitor], which would certainly have an effect on character interactions in the later books. Maybe the 9th book is stand-alone enough that they can do it separately and then go back to the 7th book later (perhaps with a second season rather than an OVA)? Depending on how the character relationships are supposed to have changed in the 7th and 8th books, that could necessitate some changes to the 9th book, or they could just go the annoying route of assuming that you read the 7th and 8th books, which will obviously be confusing to those of us who haven't.

I don't know. I'm super excited about getting more Strike the Blood, but skipping two books seems bad, and 8 episodes for a single book might be fine, but it's certainly odd, and it implies that we'll end up with a bunch of filler (which may or may not be a problem but is certainly cause for concern). So, I'm both excited and concerned. Strike the Blood is one of my favorite series in recent years, and I'd like to see it adapted into anime properly and not get butchered in the process. This is one of the few series where I actually bought the Blu-rays from Japan, and I'll be buying the Blu-rays for this OVA as well.

Fortunately, even if the anime totally butchers the books (though I certainly hope that it doesn't), Yen Press is releasing the light novels - which is downright awesome. So, we should get the full, original story even if it never gets fully or properly adapted into anime. Unfortunately though, at the current pace, we're actually going to have to wait until September 2017 to get the 7th book. So, we still have over a year before we get a book that wasn't adapted in the first season.

Far too few light novel series have ever been translated and published in the US, and the fact that we get as many as we do now is just fantastic. And the fact that Strike the Blood is one of them is that much better. As far as light novels go, this is by far the best time ever to be an anime fan in the US.
AP24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
From all the info I found the OVA series title is "Strike the Blood II". So this is like a second season. It also says it will start from Vol 9, so this could mean it will also cover another arc.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
nomyx wrote:

"This line is so cliché, it makes me want to puke." "No, senpai, it makes us want to puke!" Rolling Eyes

Yeah. Much as I love this series, that's one of the things in it I hate. It was okay maybe once, but it quickly became totally cheesy. And the sheer predictability of it makes it that much worse.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Eight OVAs based off a single LN volume sounds nice. Will it be animated by Silver Link again?

It says the OVA will start by depicting the story of the 9th LN. It doesn't say the 8 will only cover the 9th LN. I can't imagine how they could do that without it being complete shit... It has to be at least 9 and 10.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Ah, something that may not be seen legally. Sad, as I've always wanted this series to get a 2nd season.

But, at least the LNs have been licensed, so can always go that route. Though, am a bit hesitant to do so, as I'm not much of a fan of what I've heard about the story that follows from where the anime stopped.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
Please let it be an almost direct sequel!
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm i wonder why they did not just release them as a single season tv series i mean it is almost the same length as a once cour show and arslan this summer season also only got 8 episodes too,

is this a sequal to the first season or not ? i want to know.
Dale Beaver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Even better, if they follow the 4 episodes per LN, we will get to volume 10, which is where Kanase Kanon finally gets her turn as a donor and medium. Hopefully Discotek will succeed with the original series well enough to spring for liscencing the OVA's....
Dayblack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
This is awesome news - though I confess that I find the length of the series a bit off if they're covering a single novel. The typical number of episodes to cover a light novel is 4. Sometimes it's less and sometimes it's more, but in general, if a light novel gets covered in less than 4 episodes, you're losing material. Most of the books covered in the first season of Strike the Blood were covered in 4 episodes. So, to take 8 episodes to cover a single book is a lot. I wonder if the book is longer than is typical or if there was a miscommunication along the way somewhere, and they're actually covering more than the 9th book. The other oddity is that they're covering the 9th book. As I understand it, the first season covered the first 6, and the previous OVA was new material. So, if they're doing the 9th book, they're skipping two books, and from what little I know of them, they're pretty important, including stuff like spoiler[Asagi finding out about Kojou being the 4th progenitor], which would certainly have an effect on character interactions in the later books. Maybe the 9th book is stand-alone enough that they can do it separately and then go back to the 7th book later (perhaps with a second season rather than an OVA)? Depending on how the character relationships are supposed to have changed in the 7th and 8th books, that could necessitate some changes to the 9th book, or they could just go the annoying route of assuming that you read the 7th and 8th books, which will obviously be confusing to those of us who haven't.

I don't know. I'm super excited about getting more Strike the Blood, but skipping two books seems bad, and 8 episodes for a single book might be fine, but it's certainly odd, and it implies that we'll end up with a bunch of filler (which may or may not be a problem but is certainly cause for concern). So, I'm both excited and concerned. Strike the Blood is one of my favorite series in recent years, and I'd like to see it adapted into anime properly and not get butchered in the process. This is one of the few series where I actually bought the Blu-rays from Japan, and I'll be buying the Blu-rays for this OVA as well.

Fortunately, even if the anime totally butchers the books (though I certainly hope that it doesn't), Yen Press is releasing the light novels - which is downright awesome. So, we should get the full, original story even if it never gets fully or properly adapted into anime. Unfortunately though, at the current pace, we're actually going to have to wait until September 2017 to get the 7th book. So, we still have over a year before we get a book that wasn't adapted in the first season.

Far too few light novel series have ever been translated and published in the US, and the fact that we get as many as we do now is just fantastic. And the fact that Strike the Blood is one of them is that much better. As far as light novels go, this is by far the best time ever to be an anime fan in the US.

To cover a light novel faithfully it takes at least 11 to 12 chapters or can be covered with 6 light novel chapters by omitting unimportant things. Light novels adapted into 4 chapters of anime, always end up being bad adaptations that end up omitting important things in history.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
So there wasn't enough content to fill in an entire season.
The last 2 episode special was basically a normal story arc for the series.
Its down right too bad they're not doing a full 24 episode series, i enjoyed hell out of Strike the Blood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2