• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Today a magical girl taught me about puncuation, mommy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok. This is just strange. o-o

There a channel on our tv that's our Public Broadcasting Station (PBS) that me and my friends affectionatly call Peaunt Butter Shit. The channel is a "learning" channel, which has things like {"Anquite (sp) Road Show" and occaisionally a few documentaries, but mostly their kids programming, "PBS Kids". "I'm a Peaunt Butter Shit Kid!" This is like, Seasme Street, Aurthur, and Miguel and Maya. This is toddler stuff. (Even worse than NickJR even, if that is at all possible.)

Well, as I sit on the computer, I look over to the TV, which my brother is watching PBS Kids on. It's that disturbing Lions-teaching-you-grammar-show. Then, to my suprise, they show a little asian girl draw in mock-anime style reading a comic that appears to be about a girl named Wendy, with her cat. She then comes apon a setance with horrible punctuation. The girl (and her cat??) suddenly transforms into a much older girl wearing a generic magical girl outfit. (And her cat into a...cat wearing a generic comic-book hero outfit. Oh glee.) They use their super powers to correct all the puncuation errors then transformed back.

After which, my brother asked me if I wanted to have my own show called "Sailor Rei." o_o;

Is magical girl still really that popular with little girls that watch Seasme Street?
jqsilver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
I cannot sit idly by as you denegrate PBS. I cannot speak for its current state, but as someone who learned his alphabet from Sesame Street, I can tell you that it's not "all toddler stuff." Many of those shows are quite intelligent and incorporate things that only older people would really get. "Between the Lions," which teaches reading, not grammar, does a lot of brilliant stuff to teach phonetics. And it's nearly commercial free, unlike your "NickJr."
I'll cut my rant here, but you need to look deep into your own soul and ask yourself why you look down on children's public television.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1