• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: We Love the 90s

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, Vertical, you're sucking me dry! Twin Spica, Black Jack, Book of Human Insects, Princess Knight, and now this?! Can I just offer you my first born child at this point?

But it's why I love you Embarassed

Now I am glad I have my full Tokyopop GTO run I finished getting last fall, but I hope others will be able to pick it up eventually. I also hope that they'll release Shonan Junai Gumi in at least 2 volume at a time increments as TP did.

Hope they'll rescue more!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I almost choked on my melon slice from laughing when Zac asked if Osamu Tezuka was going to be a guest at Zertical's panel.

Also, there's a Buddha movie? I had no idea.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Zac and Brian, for the laughs when you were talking about the "Explore the Lands" feature on the Nausicaa Blu-ray (especially the part about My Neighbors the Yamadas partying it up with Pom Poko).

I've seen this feature on the Ponyo Blu-ray and on the Tales of Earthsea DVD. I'm personally not overly impressed with "Explore the Lands." It definitely feels like it's geared more toward younger viewers, especially when you can click on some of the items in one of the featured lands (ex. My Neighbor Totoro) and the item moves. I also agree about the promos included at the beginning of each land making this feature feel like an advertisement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. Here's a fun drinking game: take a swig every time I say "you know."

...Jesus. Sorry 'bout that, guys. ^^;;

But thanks again for having me on, I had a lot of fun!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Unicorn is available to rent on Playstation Network? Not where I live Sad

I'm still holding out hope that once the entire thing is done they'll put out a Blu-Ray box set at a more affordable price.

Speaking of Gundam, the only series in the franchise I've ever liked was the original series, which I saw thanks to ANN. If you're curious track down the compilation movies, they're better than the series.

I'm super curious about Turn A Gundam though. Didn't Bandai license that ages ago? I haven't heard anything more of it since.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I also wanted to say something in regards to Hannah's question about how her generation could affect the anime industry.

In the coming years, members of your generation should hopefully be having kids. For those members of your generation who continue to follow anime in their adult years who have kids will be able to introduce their children to anime, since those kids would grow up around it. In other words, your generation could potentially help raise a new generation of anime fans.

Some of this is going on right now with my generation. I'm part of the generation that Zac referred to that first got their exposure to anime through shows like Robotech that grew up and learned that this show was anime. My husband and I have been working at exposing our kids to anime. My 13-year-old daughter really likes anime and manga, and will check out manga whenever she can when we go to the library. Her first gateway into anime was Pokemon, which she first started watching around eight or so years ago. She's since gone on to watch and enjoy Star Blazers, Robotech, Fruits Basket, The Slayers, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Ponyo, Chobits, and Dragon Ball. My 10-year-old son also started with Pokemon, and he's also watched and enjoyed Voltron, Astro Boy (the 1960s series), Speed Racer, Chobits, Dragon Ball, and the The Slayers. Right now, my 6-year-old daughter is all about Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
-Cool to see GTO get a revival-of-sorts from Vertical. Maybe I'll actually get around to buying this new version, since the only GTO-related thing I'm familiar with is the excellent live-action J-Drama series. As for TokyoPop titles I'd love to see given another chance, there's Immortal Rain, Saiyuki, and Cyborg 009 (not that anyone will touch this specific title, though, just ask Ed himself). And, Ed, I know what TokyoPop title you should really rescue: B't X by Masami Kurumada! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha....

It's funny because it utterly bombed over here, though TokyoPop did actually release that last volume, unlike many of their other titles (no insult towards fans of those other titles)... So who knows what the future could hold.

-I should definitely check out Gundam Unicorn one day; maybe when that DVD version finally comes out. As for online viewing, I guess I'm just too much of a collector that I can't bring myself to pay for watching something like this via my Xbox. When it comes to Gundam I'd rather have an actual disc.

I would argue that G Gundam did well enough for Bandai. True, it didn't get quite as popular as Gundam Wing did, but I'd say that G Gundam did fill in enough of a niche that made people tune in every day it was aired. And, much like Wing, it hasn't had a new release since those Anime Legends boxsets back in 2006.

-I was a Pokémon fan back when it started airing, but I haven't kept up with it since I stopped watching it, though I've thought about playing one of the new games, so maybe I still do fit into the example Zac brought up in some way. The nostalgia-purchase is obviously true, and I'm curious if this can transfer over to continuing that nostalgic feeling through new releases, like how Shout! Factory will be releasing the Japan-exclusive Transformers shows due to how well their release of the original show did. I think it can have that nostalgic feeling still for fans, but at the same time these shows will be released sub-only, removing the nostalgic feeling for a good amount of people.

-I remember seeing one of those Psychic Academy combo packs a few years back at a local Borders, before it closed down. It was definitely interesting to see a manga and an anime dvd packaged together, to say the least, though I know nothing of the show itself. And I found Joe vs. Joe enjoyable enough; it's definitely nowhere near the quality of Ashita no Joe, Hajime no Ippo, or Ring ni Kakero, but overall it was still worth buying.

I love these call-out episodes, since they can cover so much ground. Great episode.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I would argue that G Gundam did well enough for Bandai. True, it didn't get quite as popular as Gundam Wing did, but I'd say that G Gundam did fill in enough of a niche that made people tune in every day it was aired. And, much like Wing, it hasn't had a new release since those Anime Legends boxsets back in 2006.

I'm glad to hear it did well, G Gundam was awesome! Cool
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I'm glad to hear it did well, G Gundam was awesome! Cool

I never said that I know that it actually did well. But at the same time it's not too hard to find people who, like the Wing fans, have fond memories of watching G Gundam on Toonami. Then there's also the fact that, like Wing, G Gundam was fully aired on Toonami and never got the "death slot" that 0079 and Seed got moved to. So it's only a guess of mine, but there looks to be enough proof that it did well enough. Though when it comes to talking about Gundam in general "G" is usually not brought up but that's probably more because it's pretty much the "anti-Gundam" of the Gundam animes than an actual lack of popularity for it.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
If your parent or grandparent's generation is any indicator of product reintroduction I don't see why anime would NOT be revisited by your generation a few years down the road. My generation, boomer, revisited electric trains via Lionel in O-gauge or similar manifestations constructed in the smaller gauges (HO, N, et al) back in the '80-90's decades. This nostalgia enabled Lionel to survive an almost extinct play market (collectors excepted) that it had to endure during the late '60's, early '70s as US population preference evolved to other experiences or things. The only concern I would express re anime replay would be the technology on hand twenty years from now.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to hear from Veritcal again. I only watched a little of the G.T.O anime but I might give the manga a try now.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Movie:
I never got into Fullmetal Alchemist 2: The Quest for More Money. I watched the first 26 episodes, and while it was good, it wasn't better than the first series. I feel if you are going to do a remake, it should be better than the original, and FMA:B is not. I'll try to give it another go sometime, but the whole remake feels less like a 'celebration' and more like a rejection of the first version.

Forgotten Releases:
I've never heard of two thirds of those shows you guys were listing in there. See, my problem is that don't want any bad anime from the aughts. I want a bunch of bad anime from the nineties, which is insanely expensive.

I've seen Hyper Police! My god, I hated that show so much. It was like a furry's wet dream.

Wasn't Hermes Winds of Love made by some crazy cult that thought they were the reincarnations of Greek Gods? I've seen this one, too, and I was okay for 2/3 of the movie, then it went all Beatles Acip Trip for the last part.

I refuse to acknowledge that Galaxy Angel Rune exists. The original Galaxy Angel is one of the better anime comedies out there, but Rune is an abomination.

The one Tokyopop DVD release I have is the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series. It took me some effort, but did obtain all 6 volumes, and the experience made me double glad Tokyopop is now dead.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to be on this but I got on twitter too late, well their was one space left but as soon as I thought up a backup arguement Mike Toole took it.

Why do people refer to a series that came out first as a prequel. The second Star Wars Trilogy where prequels, while the Hobbit isn't a prequel, it came out first and the Lord of the Rings came out after. Shonan Ju-mi Gumi came out in the early 90's several years before GTO.

I wonder what people would say if the new Hobbit movie was called Hobbit: The Early Years. Followed by The Silmarillion: The Earliest Years.

So Brian Hanson is complaining that Bandai thought Gundam Seed, the most successful Gundam TV series since Zeta Gundam would do well in America? A Gundam tv series that was specifically created to create new fans after the disappointing sales of Turn A Gundam, and the cancellation of Gundam X. According to Brian Hanson they should have used an OVA that was created 6 years after Gundam Seed came to america, and was based off of a novel written two years later aimed at 30-40 year old business men that watched Z Gundam and read Harutoshi Fukui novels like Lorelei, Witch of the Sea, and Aimless Aegis.

The Gundam Unicorn DVDs maybe able to shock and amaze me buy selling 30,000 units and cause Zeta Gundam to pick up 10,000 units and create the second coming of Gundam in America but I doubt it.

Brian Hanson just stated that C.E was depressing while promoting U.C Gundam which takes place in a universe where both sides are Space Nazis and is mainly about how the universe will never improve? Brian this might shock and amaze you but Zeta Gundam which defined U.C Gundam was created by Tomino while he was battling depression, and V Gundam was created when Tomino hit rock bottom with his battle. He didn't start improving until the late 90's and beat it when he created Turn A Gundam. Watch both Turn A Gundam, and Overman King Gainer, and it's got a completely different feeling from his earlier Gundam works.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Thu May 26, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
As far as Gundam goes, I feel like there's no Gundam I'm "fanatical" about, but its mix of politics, coming-of-age, and neat mechs gives it an evergreen draw for me, so I try to check out Gundam series whenever I get a chance. In most cases, I find Gundam shows to be worth the time to watch, even though they're not lighting my world on fire.

Turn-A Gundam has been my personal favorite so far, but kind of counter-intuitively - it's interesting in the way it's so "not like what you would expect from Gundam." You've got the Earth with a turn-of-the-century level of technology (but who will argue against classic cars and biplanes? Certainly not I!), some mech designs by Syd Mead, memorable Yoko Kanno soundtrack, and a main character who not only isn't hotheaded; he actually pursues peaceful resolutions to conflicts where he can.

It's a weird show, and I can understand the complaints of people who don't care for it (it IS kind of a slower-paced show, and isn't really about getting in all up in your face with action), but I found it quite a charmer. I also will echo Brian's enjoyment of Gundam X, but that's for totally different reasons: it's like Gundam: Road Warrior in post-apocalyptic America.

I'm totally looking forward to Gundam Unicorn, but I probably won't get any of it 'til they release a compiled set once the series is finished. Buying single-episode singles, even if the episodes are 50 minutes, is a bit too extravegant for me.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the idea that Gundam Seed Destiny is the most depressing is hilarious when we've got Zeta, 0080, and Victory (heck, I'd say the original, Seed, and 00 are sadder than SD as well) around. Unless he meant depressing as in "why was this show made?", which I can certainly agree with when it comes to Destiny.

While it is excellent, I'd disagree that Unicorn is the most accessible. I can't see many non-anime fans getting into the series that way. True, you don't need to know the prior UC to get into it, but the series clearly shows that it DOES have all that backstory, whereas the original Gundam and most of the AU have a clear "sure, there's backstory, but this is where it REALLY begins" feel. I could see the original and Seed maybe turning off non-anime fans due to being from the late 70's/early 80's and the higher focus on strange hair colors respectively, but Wing and 00 seem the most accessible to me.

I disagree with Gundam Wing not aging well, I only just watched it for the first time about a year ago. I thought it was only "good", but still worth checking out. The middle of the show was the weakest part as it felt like the plot was just stalling around that time, but it had a good beginning and a solid ending, and then Endless Waltz rocked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5