• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: We Love the 90s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I own the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray box and I think it looks terrific. The later episodes (particularly episodes 5-7) fare a bit better than the early ones, but I was quite pleased. They did do a new HD telecine from the original film. The only negative (aside from the price) is that all of the extras (music videos, trailers, Holiday in Bali) were not included, presumably because they could not be made HD. I'd really like to see more "classic" film-based anime released because the BGC release demonstrates how good they can look.

A recent anime Blu-ray that did NOT look great on a large HD screen (in my opinion) was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Bandai's transfer is fine, but the art in the movie is so plain. BGC actually has more detailed drawings and backgrounds.

The anime movie I want to see the most on Blu-ray is Adolescence of Utena, since that was 35mm and should look gorgeous. I just hope that when the Blu-ray comes out, they make it available separately, because I don't really want to buy the whole series again.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

Truth be told, Gundam is a nigh inaccessable franchise when it comes to the UC stuff unless you start at the beginning. While skipping the first TV series is possible, it helps to have seen it since a lot of Unicorn comes from a character reintroduced in Double Zeta, which will seem really out of place since that person is first introduced in First Gundam. Watching all four shows might not make Unicorn better, but it definately helps understand the universe and how it works. Luckily, First and Zeta have movie compilations out there, so that might not be such a huge time investment.

Double Zeta gets a lot of flack for being silly in the first half before it matures, but it isn't a horrible series by any stretch. Just take the first half with a grain of salt, then enjoy a second half that ramps up standard Tomino nonsensical plotting. Honestly, unless you have the time to sit through a lot of stuff, UC will probably not be the best place to get your Gundam fix. The AU stories however require no prereqs to enjoy, so myabe that could be more up new fans alleys.

If the character is who I think your'e talking about then that character was a major character in Zeta Gundam.

The Gundam series I would use to try to get new fans would be Gundam Seed because the intended goal of Gundam Seed was to create new fans due to the loss in sales and ratings over the past decade. For whatever reason despite the fact that it was really popular on the internet, the sales of it was never that great in America (it was probably the most popular tv series of the past decade in Japan though)

Gundam Unicorn intended goal was to appeal to fans of Gundam who watched the series in the 80's when it was at the height of it's popularity.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
While it is excellent, I'd disagree that Unicorn is the most accessible. I can't see many non-anime fans getting into the series that way. True, you don't need to know the prior UC to get into it, but the series clearly shows that it DOES have all that backstory, whereas the original Gundam and most of the AU have a clear "sure, there's backstory, but this is where it REALLY begins" feel. I could see the original and Seed maybe turning off non-anime fans due to being from the late 70's/early 80's and the higher focus on strange hair colors respectively, but Wing and 00 seem the most accessible to me.

For the record I just watched the first episode of Gundam Unicorn online a few moments ago and only because I don't exactly have any other legal access to watch it. I don't have any blu-ray player, including a PS3, nor do I have a XBOX 360, so I can't purchase the blu-ray release or purchase the episodes in each console's online store. And frankly I'm skeptical about buying blind since while I never hated any Gundam show I've seen, being Seed, part of Seed Destiny, Wing, 0080 and 0083 I think, and 00, I never liked each show enough to want to own it or rewatch it over and over again. So I didn't know any other way to see it and everyone's saying this is the ideal Gundam show and stuff so I've been a bit curious, epsecially after hearing Michael Sinterniklaas's story with his involvement in the dub and simulcasting of the releases.

Anyway, I did watched it. And as I watched it, I tried to think about what would be all of the reasons any non-anime fan would or wouldn't be disengaged in watching this series. And to do this, I kinda had to be unbiased as a fan of anime in general somewhat as I viewed it. First the reasons why it wouldn't turn non-anime fans off. The character designs are more practical and no weird, unrelatable colored hair or hairstyles or facials. Visually in terms of animations, it doesn't try to be still or do long pans or motionless shots of two or 3 people talking. It felt like watching a late 20th century Disney film but at 2/3 of the speed, which isn't a bad thing as far as anime shows go and it wouldn't likely bore the audience in that way. There isn't any character one could find partcularly annoying or worth hating and even if you did, it would be the appropriate character to hate like spoiler[whatever mobile suit that's suddenly reeking havoc against the protagonist].

So it feels more down to earth as far as Gundam shows go. That being said, I still feel that non-anime fans may end up left scratching their heads over what the plot of the story is or what are the motivation behind the characters as they're watching the first episode. Which isn't to say it's not made mostly clear as you watch the whole episode. It's just that in the beginning, the story focuses on one of the main protaginists who's just doing maintenence and you later see him fine but not feel like he particularly wants anything until he sees the female protagonist in danger and tries to save her. And from that point on, he wants to protect her, but the audience wouldn't understand why exactly. And the female protagonist herself was sneaking around someplace earlier and that's not made clear why either. And it's not until the second half of the first episode that you understand what either of these character's motivations are.

Where am I getting at with this? I basically feel that because the audience won't immediately understand who these characters are or their acual motivations for what they do, that alone might risk making non-anime fans not caring so much about the story. And if you don't immediately know the "who" of the story being the characters and what they want, then you may also not know and have trouble understanding the "what," being the plot of the story. As anime fans, it's so easy for us to overlook that sort of thing because many of us might be engaged by a show being mystifying or confusing and aren't as bothered by not knowing the who or what of the story as non-anime fans would be. But again, Gundam Unicorn does at least answer those questions mostly by the latter half of the episode.

Does this mean Gundam Unicorn can't be recommended or shown to non-anime fans? I'm not sure if any anime fan would successfully get a more casual person to like it, but it's definitely worth a shot. So if anime fans are wondering whether to have a causal viewer watch it, I'd say go for it! My only advice would be to put that blurb on the back of the blu-ray case to good use and read it aloud to the person you want to show it to as you ask them, so they can get some idea of what the show is about.

BTW: Jeeeesus CHRIST, is this the most I've ever talked about Gundam in like... ever! I'm not even a big fan of the franchise! How the hell does that happen?! Laughing
poonk

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Oh, wow. Here's a fun drinking game: take a swig every time I say "you know."

...Jesus. Sorry 'bout that, guys. ^^;;

But thanks again for having me on, I had a lot of fun!
Hey, kudos for plugging Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro! I had no clue that it was being streamed here now. I really liked that series (unusual for a shonen) and I only wished it had been longer and expanded on the deeper story that it eventually touches upon towards the end. I also just really loved Neuro's maniacal personality (and his seiyuu *cough*).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
It's a pity I haven't finished listening to the podcast just yet, but in the meanwhile...I'll comment on something else.

immortalrite wrote:
Also, having heard nothing but good things about Unicorn I was going to check it out, but stopped as I was unsure as to how much of the original story one ought to be familiar with beforehand...

This same subject has come up several times before, whenever Gundam Unicorn happens to be reviewed or discussed around here...but in line with both my personal opinion and what multiple critics have stated, I believe you don't really need to check out anything else from the property first. The initial episode of Unicorn actually does explain the basic concepts of its fictional universe instead of assuming everyone already knows them by heart. In fact, some of the core elements seem to be better portrayed and presented than how they were treated in the older shows. This also continues being the case in episodes two and three, IMHO.

With one or two exceptions, there are almost no returning characters involved. More importantly, their role in this production isn't left up to the imagination of the audience. Their respective identities and motivations end up being directly addressed. It's not necessary to memorize any character's biography in order to understand what they want or need to do. Good storytelling asks questions and provides the relevant answers without losing the focus on what's actually important here and now.

You see, the main plot of the series is made clear by the end of the first episode and it is a relatively self-contained one. Nobody needs to know the entire history of Gundam in order to understand what this adventure, so to speak, is going for. Yes, it's set in a larger fictional setting and the story acknowledges this, but you're not left wondering why these people are fighting or anything of the sort. Looking for additional background information is fair enough, just not a requirement.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

I strongly discourage playing this game. Wink

Your "you knows" appear to be infectious. If you listen to Zac toward the end of this segment he starts running off a series of "you knows" quite frequently.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
I got into anime in the 90's. Pokemon was what really got me more interested in Japanese animation, then I started watching most of the anime on Toonami. I guess it was the he more mature feel of shows like Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, and Tenchi Muyo that made anime appealing to me. I'm still really into anime and don't have any plans to give it up.
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
Real Bout High School is the first manga series I ever completed. I don't seem to remember how it ended, I mainly remember there were cute girls. And maybe miko outfits. Might need to dust that off...

After I watch Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto for some hot tart action. I think my copies are still shrinkwrapped. Strangely enough, I think I have a lot of really crappy titles from the mid-2000s still in their wrappers.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Hey, kudos for plugging Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro! I had no clue that it was being streamed here now. I really liked that series (unusual for a shonen) and I only wished it had been longer and expanded on the deeper story that it eventually touches upon towards the end. I also just really loved Neuro's maniacal personality (and his seiyuu *cough*).

One can never have too much Takehito Koyasu! Yeah, Viz just uploaded episode 19. Watch it, like it, tell your friends! I'd love to see the manga get brought over here...

dizzon wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

I strongly discourage playing this game. Wink

Your "you knows" appear to be infectious. If you listen to Zac toward the end of this segment he starts running off a series of "you knows" quite frequently.

My sincerest apologies to both the listeners and Zac. I'll do better next time. Anime cry
TexMurphy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
And I was thinking I was going to come in and be all observant saying, "Hey, notice how many times she said 'y'know'?" But apparently she beat me to it, so respect to you for that.

Actually remembering crap of yesterday... yeah. I bought Psychic Force 2012 for the DC actually. I played it for five minutes. It looked interesting, but I just couldn't figure out what the hell was going on so... yeah.

And Dejiko. Crazy.
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Still listening but I'm just getting through the section with Hannah talking about the purchasing power of her generation as they come of age.

I'm a few years older than her and wanted to comment on my own personal experience. During roughly the period '98-'04 when I was in junior high - early college years I used to spend a TON of money on DVDs and manga and other related products every month. After that though my anime related budget shrank to just my yearly trip to Otakon and maybe a few knick-knacks I picked up in the dealers room. Since entering the work force though, I've found myself buying a lot more, though certainly not at the same level I was at in my high school days (but back then I wasn't dealing with bills, loans, etc.). I usually buy 1-2 manga volumes a month and a DVD boxset every couple of months. Most of my friends have had the same experience with their spending habits and I know if I had the means to buy more DVDs, I would. I mostly shop for budget boxsets of the series I watched when I was younger - either on TV or by borrowing from friends that I've long since lost touch with.

We can only hope that everyone just finishing school and entering the work force continues their anime love and spends what extra disposible income they have on anime. I guess we should first hope that they can find employment though!

On an unrelated note: Hannah, my roomate was a geography major and he is now just finishing up his Ph.d. in Demography and does pretty well for himself. There is definitely a future in that career!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
qollocust wrote:
On an unrelated note: Hannah, my roomate was a geography major and he is now just finishing up his Ph.d. in Demography and does pretty well for himself. There is definitely a future in that career!

Haha, thanks for the encouraging words!
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Eroticism in anime that try to be artistic and makes you reeeeeally uncomfortable? Fractale! spoiler[The world runs on child molestation.]
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

Truth be told, Gundam is a nigh inaccessable franchise when it comes to the UC stuff unless you start at the beginning. While skipping the first TV series is possible, it helps to have seen it since a lot of Unicorn comes from a character reintroduced in Double Zeta, which will seem really out of place since that person is first introduced in First Gundam. Watching all four shows might not make Unicorn better, but it definately helps understand the universe and how it works. Luckily, First and Zeta have movie compilations out there, so that might not be such a huge time investment.

I really disagree; Unicorn is an ideal introduction to Gundam and to mecha in general. All of this stuff you are mentioning doesn't actually matter. Yes, that earlier content offers some context. But it's enough for the viewer to know what he or she needs to know for the present story to work, and that's what happens with Unicorn. The first episode supplies everything necessary about the big issues and the context of the setting. One does not need that earlier content to understand and appreciate what is happening in the present and how these returning characters relate to the hero, Banagher. It matters about as much as Star Trek does to Star Trek: TNG where hardcore fans get extra mileage out of some episodes, but anyone can be entertained. The fact that there's extra treats for fandom in a show doesn't render material "inaccessible" by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri May 27, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
My fiance actually owns Galaxy Angel Rune volume 4, and maybe he'll part with it if that series is truly as much a huge piece of crap as Mike Toole says it is. I shall have proof over the weekend.

Found our Galaxy Angel sets and took a picture. Rune disc 4 is not a myth.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5