• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: We Love the 90s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
i am sure most have never heard of it would be blue-seed.

I saw it back in the 90s. It aired on the cable channels here in South America. Didn't pay it much attention tho, i mean, cowboy bebop, NGE and bubblegum crisis tokyo 2040 aired the same day too Razz
shadow13

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I never watched Gundam wing on cartoon network, I only watched G Gundam which is pretty good but doesn't really match well against the other series. I can't understand why they hate the original Gundam so much, yes the animation is weak compared to current stuff but the story is good. Can't ague about SEED Destiny that was pretty bad but SEED wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. I watched the three Unicorn episodes and they are very good, just wonder if they can keep it up. The main show I remember is Pokemon, never got into the dragon ball craze it was just too boring.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Gundam Unicorn is just the injection the franchise needed. It has both style and substance, and is accessible even to people who aren't that familiar with the UC timeline because of its ability to incorporate the history and elements into the storyline fairly seamlessly. Of course, you'll get more from it being versed in UC Gundam, but it's not absolutely necessary in most cases.

The problem with Gundam SEED is, while it does seem like a shiny new representation of UC tropes but with its own modern spin, it's so lifeless and phony. None of the characters are very remarkable or memorable, there's no charisma. There's no presence. It's all so very forgettable. The story just sort of goes through the motions, trying to force the viewer to agree with the perspective of the writer in a way that shows a lack of real conviction for anything. In short, it's bland. The show gives you elements that would have been great to explore, but instead they give you cop-out resolutions at every turn. It's bad enough that everybody looks and acts just about the same. The characters are nothing more than vehicles through the ride of the story. There's not a breathing one among them.

And, of course, the Gundam franchise suffered in America because we weren't really brought up with it the way generations of Japanese have. So trying to get us into the original series as if it were just as easy as watching Gundam Wing was a bad idea. They could have done a way better job if they marketed things a little better. Or you know, at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
I was drinking coffee when I heard "if there is one word to describe Dandoh, it would be legend" and about spewed it out of my nose, lol...Rightstuf a while back had "mystery" purchases that you spend either $5, $10, or $20 and they would send you something cheap, and they sent me BOTH Dandoh and Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto, lol...luckily I got back in value on a trade-in what I paid for them, haha.

Also, Galaxy Angel Rune Vol. 4 was apparently released with LIMITED stock.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the podcast. guys!

Osamu Tezuka better get ready to promote Princess Knight! Vertical, I always respected you for doing the impossible and reviving older manga franchises, but resurrecting the deceased is truly going above and beyond! Of course, according to every other shonen manga (and American superhero comic) I've read, it's entirely possible. Not always a good idea, though! Laughing

Talking about Tezuka, Nick's discussion of eroticism as expression within art to represent various emotions was fascinating. I would never have believed it possible, but Tezuka actually fully developed a character who commits rape and yet is still interesting and sympathetic to the reader in Ode To Kirihito. The rape is made more disturbing by the fact that the reader identifies with the perpetrator and can sense how committing those acts are disturbing and traumatic to him. It's a brilliant characterization.

On Gundam: I recently had a chance to watch the OVA "Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket." It was the first Gundam show I saw, and I really enjoyed it. But with such a big franchise, where do you go from there?

Psychic Academy: I actually really enjoyed this manga. It's the mangaka's take on X-Men and falls into "fun, mediocre shonen" territory. I didn't know it had an anime, but I can't imagine that Tokyopop's adaptation is very good, or considering the very mediocrity of the source material, that the show was good to begin with. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5