• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Teams up with Sojitz

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
So whose relationship is better financially, Geneon with Mitsubishi or ADV with Sojitz?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So whose relationship is better financially, Geneon with Mitsubishi or ADV with Sojitz?

I am not sure about that. But anyways that good news for the manga fans out there, concerning that last piece of the article how ADV want to vamp up there manga department.
Hopefully ADV with this extra money will take some chances on some older titles (MONSTER!!!!) and hopefully be able to make a better quality (I am not saying they do a bad job) on their releases. More extra, more voice actors, and more new series in the future. This is great news for ADV I hope that they have nothing but good fortune with this deal.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
I'd never heard of Sojitz before now, but apparently they're quite the conglomerate. Shocked
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
So, do these "big plans" for their manga division include actually releasing some manga and finishing a few series that everyone's been impatient about?
But overall, this is good news, as it seems that ADV's been struggling a bit lately. I don't know about series like Monster, though...ADV has gone on record before as not being too interested in series longer than 26 episodes, and the few that they've done have been plagued by delays (Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star), inability to get sequels (Saiyuuki, and now Full Metal Panic), and outright halts due to licensing issues (Saint Seiya, Super Gals!) Due to that, I don't think ADV is likely to go for the 74-episode Monster. However, people have been mentioning ADV's name in conversations about "Who's gonna license Melancholy~?", and this capital infusion might be able to help them with that. In general, more money for ADV will mean more fanboy/fanservice series (I'm secretly hoping for Amaenaideyo!! from them) and perhaps a few more "non-ADV series" like Diamond Daydreams.
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So, do these "big plans" for their manga division include actually releasing some manga and finishing a few series that everyone's been impatient about?

Yeah, call me a cynic, but I'll believe it when I see it, and no sooner.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
In general, more money for ADV will mean more fanboy/fanservice series (I'm secretly hoping for Amaenaideyo!! from them) and perhaps a few more "non-ADV series" like Diamond Daydreams.

I'm hoping that they invest their new resources into actually picking up quality series and not more fanboy-pandering fanservice titles that rot on store shelves.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
In general, more money for ADV will mean more fanboy/fanservice series (I'm secretly hoping for Amaenaideyo!! from them) and perhaps a few more "non-ADV series" like Diamond Daydreams.

I'm hoping that they invest their new resources into actually picking up quality series and not more fanboy-pandering fanservice titles that rot on store shelves.

Or for that matter, howabout lowering prices to a point where it's worth it to get the DVD even if it is a dud?
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
````

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
LordOfPie wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Yeah, I can understand that...but it's at least nice to hear something official about the manga department.
Superflyz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
LordOfPie wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Yeah, I can understand that...but it's at least nice to hear something official about the manga department.

Especially considering that they haven't updated their manga website since late 2004/early 2005 I believe...

I still agree with LordOfPie though...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:13 am Reply with quote
Steve: For once we agree.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote
At the Tokyo Anime Fair NYC event a few months ago, Sojitz presented their anime catalog as being open for licensing opportunities. They seem to specialize in Moe anime. Through their partial ownership of The Klockworx, they also get access to an interesting array of live action movies and a few anime (most of Klockworx's anime has been picked up already).

But I'm sure ADV won't just stick to the Sojitz catalog. There has been so few new anime picked up lately by anybody, I can only imagine they must be like a kid in a candy store right now.

Good news for everybody, even if you don't like moe. (Should Moe be capitalized? It does come from a name...)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:24 am Reply with quote
js:
Quote:
Through their partial ownership of The Klockworx, they also get access to an interesting array of live action movies and a few anime (most of Klockworx's anime has been picked up already).

I wonder how this affects STA.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
How funny, ADV claimed at previous Otakons that basically that they were funding like half the anime coming out in japan, and that anime wasn't getting released in Japan without their help. Guess this shoots that idea down. "Big plans" for their manga...we will release manga every six months instead of once a year, it will be huge, major, humungous. Anything is "big plans" compared to what they are doing now
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote
Ladies and gentlemen...we are witnessing the evolution of our beloved industry. This is only the beginning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4