• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Teams up with Sojitz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
appleturbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
LordOfPie wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
So, do these "big plans" for their manga division include actually releasing some manga and finishing a few series that everyone's been impatient about?

Yeah, call me a cynic, but I'll believe it when I see it, and no sooner.

I think I heard that they are going to release a Golden Radioactive version of Eva.

and I agree they failed completely at manga. Maybe they should just release the licences and let someone else release their catalog.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
How funny, ADV claimed at previous Otakons that basically that they were funding like half the anime coming out in japan, and that anime wasn't getting released in Japan without their help.

This doesn't shoot that idea down in the least.

By saying that they are "funding half", it doesn't mean that they were providing half the funding. It means that they had some financial investment in about half the anime out there, but it could only be 5% in some, and it could be 100% in others...

Of course, what was true at "past Otakons" may not have been true for the past 12 months, ADV had scaled back its North American operations a bit, and it wouldn't be surprising in the least if they scaled back their funding of Japanese anime.

They now have a significant cash influx from JCI, much of which will be spent in Japan, funding more anime.

Anyways, it's long been established, by American companies and by Japanese companies, that hte Japanese anime industry needs foreign investment and/or sales. Most of which comes from the USA right now. Without companies like ADV, there would be significantly less anime released in Japan.

The way the industry operates now, most anime doesn't turn a profit on production costs in the Japanese market. Once Japan was enough to sustain the anime industry, but with current consumer trends and increased production, it isn't.

Some anime of course is either very cheap to produce, and/or does very well in Japan, so it makes money right away, but other anime needs the cash from foreign licensing before it actually turns a profit.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:
and I agree they failed completely at manga. Maybe they should just release the licences and let someone else release their catalog.

Keep dreaming. They invested millions in licensing payments. Do you think they'll just "release" the licenses ?

They might sell them, but they certainly aren't going to release them. They'll hold onto the licenses and release them bit by bit. Its unfortunate for fans who were waiting for those series, but there's no way that ADV could have continued releasing those manga in 2004~2005 at the rate it originally planned to.

-t
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="article"]In addition, an unnamed ADV spokesman told ICv2 that ADV has "big plans" for its manga division.[/spoiler]

*cocks eyebrow in interest*

Zalis116 wrote:
So, do these "big plans" for their manga division include actually releasing some manga and finishing a few series that everyone's been impatient about?

Perhaps, but we won't really know until another announcement regarding their manga division pops up. I certainly hope this is the case, because there are a couple of good titles within their pile of doomed titles that deserve to be released. As long as they don't announce a bunch of new titles again, I don't mind.

LordOfPie wrote:

Yeah, call me a cynic, but I'll believe it when I see it, and no sooner.

I concur.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
I just wonder why it took this long. All the talk lately of license fees increasing dramatically....hmmmm.....this may have been in the works for awhile, and the Japanese companies may have been trying to make things more difficult for american licensors in order to make a takeover easier.
DuoSagara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Their Manga Division isn't a concern to me, personally, but I've seen many of my friends be almost heartbroken. So I guess it's unfortunately still a 'wait and see' situation. The co-funding idea has been around for quite a while, though, and I see absolutely NO problem with that. The more finances, the better. More money flowing in the industry and staying circulated there sounds very positive. It's still a fan's responsibility to help by purchasing what is released, and not watching it sit on the shelf, ultimately. I'll be doing my part! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Good news for everybody, even if you don't like moe. (Should Moe be capitalized? It does come from a name...)

Actually, "moe" comes from 萌える (moeru) which means to sprout. Either way, it doesn't really need to be capitalized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
News Piece wrote:
JCI's investment in ADV will provide capital allowing for ADV to license and release more films in 2006.

All of this is very exciting, ADVs catalog is going to be ginormous.

News Piece wrote:
As part of the partnership, Japan Content Investments (JCI), will acquire equity in ADV in return for a capital investment. John Ledford, founder and CEO of A.D. Vision will remain the majority shareholder of ADV.

So it's not a buy out, but that means the maximum ADVs equity increased is 49%, basically doubling. That's a lot. I am not saying that it was a 49% percent investment, but if it was Mr. Ledford must be sleeping on a pile of money.
News Piece wrote:
and we gain Sojitz's global network and expertise in wireless and new media

*does a Spock*

This is the only thing that made me say huh? Does anyone know what ADV plans to do in this direction. I hope they aren't planning to throw all this new money at some big project that is doomed to fail.

EDIT: Just read the second article Anime smile + sweatdrop It is 20%, but still that big Anime hyper

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Posted my sentiments here. Truthfully, I think Geneon USA's situation is in the win here. Both Mitsubishi and Sojitz are huge, but Mitsubishi easily wins on the content side.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok I just read the PDF and I have a quick question maybe someone can answer.

Does this mean all anime licenses will come through ARM, A wholly-owned Japanese company? Or will they still be able to go on there own and get titles that don't necessarily come through ARM?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Ok I just read the PDF and I have a quick question maybe someone can answer.

Does this mean all anime licenses will come through ARM, A wholly-owned Japanese company? Or will they still be able to go on there own and get titles that don't necessarily come through ARM?

Some of ADV's new licenses are sure to be from ARM acquisitions:

PR wrote:
Furthermore, as the first step in promoting exports, the Japan Contents Investment Business LPS will facilitate business development in North America of animation content handled by ARM, by investing in North America's leading animation distributor AD Vision Inc.

But I expect ADV is free to pursue any other licenses it chooses as well.

If I'm reading this correctly, and this would be some timely irony, ARM will work with ADV in the same way that Summit did with 4Kids. ARM won't be directly owned by ADV, but the function seems to be the same: ARM goes out and buys stuff from wherever to distribute however it can around the world. When that stuff goes from Japan to North America, ADV will be usually (always?) be at the end of the chain.
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen...we are witnessing the evolution of our beloved industry. This is only the beginning.

Indeed, this is just the kind of move ADV needed to get going again. Now they have the finances to carry on expanding at the same rates we saw in 2001-2004 should they choose.

I do hope ADV use their newly aquired capital wisely though.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
JMays:

Indeed this week has been quite ironic so far Razz
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
How funny, ADV claimed at previous Otakons that basically that they were funding like half the anime coming out in japan, and that anime wasn't getting released in Japan without their help.

This doesn't shoot that idea down in the least.

By saying that they are "funding half", it doesn't mean that they were providing half the funding. It means that they had some financial investment in about half the anime out there, but it could only be 5% in some, and it could be 100% in others...

Of course, what was true at "past Otakons" may not have been true for the past 12 months, ADV had scaled back its North American operations a bit, and it wouldn't be surprising in the least if they scaled back their funding of Japanese anime.

They now have a significant cash influx from JCI, much of which will be spent in Japan, funding more anime.

Anyways, it's long been established, by American companies and by Japanese companies, that hte Japanese anime industry needs foreign investment and/or sales. Most of which comes from the USA right now. Without companies like ADV, there would be significantly less anime released in Japan.

The way the industry operates now, most anime doesn't turn a profit on production costs in the Japanese market. Once Japan was enough to sustain the anime industry, but with current consumer trends and increased production, it isn't.

Some anime of course is either very cheap to produce, and/or does very well in Japan, so it makes money right away, but other anime needs the cash from foreign licensing before it actually turns a profit.

-t

So the Japanese can't make anime without American money and American's can't pay for it without Japanese investment. The world is truly a bizarre place.
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:

So the Japanese can't make anime without American money and American's can't pay for it without Japanese investment. The world is truly a bizarre place.

This is only because of the poor state of the Japanese economy.

Foreign or even domestic sponsorship/funding was not needed during the boom in the 80's period which also carried over to the early 90's.

We can also blame the sorry state of the economy for the decline in OVA's, experimental titles and originality in general. Perfect example would be the amount of remakes of older titles we are seeing at the moment i.e. Oh My Goddess, Area 88 etc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4