• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ah My Buddha (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idontcare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote

[bold]Ah My Buddha (TV)[/b]

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life, supernatural
Themes: ecchi, fanservice, harem

Plot Summary: Ikkō Satonaka, a 16-year-old boy, is a first year trainee at the Saienji Buddhist Temple. He was sent there by his parents to be trained by his grandmother, the Saienji Priestess. At the temple he finds himself surrounded by beautiful female priestesses-in-training. Upon seeing a girl naked, Ikkō has the ability to turn into a super-monk, performing massive exorcisms for the good of the temple.
----------------------------------

do anyone know when amae nai deyo would come in english, because man this is a good anime to watch. Smile
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
It might not be. If it does, I guess within the next 18 months.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
idontcare wrote:
do anyone know when amae nai deyo would come in english, because man this is a good anime to watch. Smile

Nobody knows, since there's no announcment regarding the licensing of this title yet. There isn't even any guarantee that it'll get licensed at all, really. Only time will tell.

With that aside, I actually like the Amaenaideyo!! series, even though it's just your typical harem series. It was probably the addition of Kazuki in Katsu!! that got me to enjoy the series more.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
Harem and fanservice titles seem to be fairly safe licenses, so I think it has a decent shot at getting licensed at some point.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking that if this series was unpopular in Japan (though I don't know if it was or not), it might be a cheap license for someone like ADV, as I mentioned on the thread about the investment in ADV. Given their likes of fanservice and comedy, I'd peg them as the company most likely to license it. Amaenaideyo may seem like a standard harem, but the Buddhism elements make things a bit more interesting. And, unlike the standard Love Hina model with 1 guy living with lots of girls who like him, most of the Amae girls don't really show much interest in Ikko, aside from a love of teasing him, abusing him, and making him do work around the temple. And to me, several episodes had some valid emotional parts/drama, like episode 9 of the first series. It's along the lines of the first episode of Loki Ragnarok...ghosts, spirits, lingering regrets, and Ikko + the girls help them to rest in peace.
Storywise, while it's not the greatest, I'd like to think it's at least better than UFO UM Valkyrie--while I haven't seen that one, the impression I get from reviews is that if ADV's willing to bring that one out, then they probably wouldn't turn down Amaenaideyo's substantial fanservice and "hook" spoiler[Ikko gaining extraordinary spirit powers whenever he experiences worldly desire, which plays out in a variety of ways and becomes part of the plot later on] based on content alone.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm thinking that if this series was unpopular in Japan (though I don't know if it was or not), it might be a cheap license for someone like ADV, as I mentioned on the thread about the investment in ADV.

"Moderate - Moderately Low" popularity. It wasn't unpopular, but it wasn't like Haruhi level popular though.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
It was popular enough for a second season.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Amaenaideyo may seem like a standard harem, but the Buddhism elements make things a bit more interesting. And, unlike the standard Love Hina model with 1 guy living with lots of girls who like him, most of the Amae girls don't really show much interest in Ikko, aside from a love of teasing him, abusing him, and making him do work around the temple. And to me, several episodes had some valid emotional parts/drama, like episode 9 of the first series.

Yeah, you have a point there. The fanservice actually has a purpose in the story too, and not always just there for the sake of fanservice, if that made any sense. =\
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I believe the main character has to be embarassed or turned on or something to use his powers, right? That's not fanservice for the sake of the story, that's a plot point made for the sole purpose of fan service.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I believe the main character has to be embarassed or turned on or something to use his powers, right? That's not fanservice for the sake of the story, that's a plot point made for the sole purpose of fan service.

Yeah, I think you're right. I get such things mixed up all the time.

& Ikkou uses his immense power after getting turned on.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode, and it's so cliche and generic that if it wasn't a real anime and was entered into that Creation Station contest in the Answerman column back in February, it would have a shot at winning. Maybe it gets better later on, but as of the first episode, I can understand why it got a 6.14 Bayesian estimate rating.

Why did it get a second season anyway? Even Ichigo 100% was better than this, and it didn't get a second season, just some OVAs. The manga ran in Shonen Jump too...I think.
idontcare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
hey thank you guy, but i still hope it does come in english,for now i will buy it in japanesse.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Why did it get a second season anyway? Even Ichigo 100% was better than this, and it didn't get a second season, just some OVAs. The manga ran in Shonen Jump too...I think.

If it wasn't popular, then I don't think a 2nd season would've been made, at least IMO. =\

& yeah, Ichigo 100% was a Weekly(?) Shonen Jump title in Japan, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1