• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion - disappointed.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smegger56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
Before anyone says anyting, i LOVE the Eva series. I think it is a truly great anime. It deserves to be respected throughout the world.

However, IMO, i feel the end of the series was a bit poor, and the Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion started of great, but they too ended poorly. The animation was great, and the start of them, brilliant. But, in the end, I felt there was no resolutuion with the characters, no closure on there relationships. That was, IMO, what was missing from it. That was what made Eva great.

Don't gget me wrong, the story was great. Just, no closure on the series (character speaking).

What does everyone else think? Did anyone else feel let down by how Eva had ended?
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:16 am Reply with quote
Evangelion was one of the first anime's i saw and i was amazed at the time how good it and anime really was.

However i have seen alot of other anime series since then and i can safely say that Evangelion is a good series but no way is it a masterpiece.

If i wrote a list of my top 25 anime, Evangelion would not be in it.

The next time you sit down and watch it your now reliase there is no real meat to the story. Questions are raised but they are not expanded on or followed up.

The sad fact is even 10 years after it's been made Evangelion is still hyped and exagerated to this day. It's reputation is far superior to the actual quality of the show.

I'd rather watch the masterpiece Gunbuster any day of the week...
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:43 am Reply with quote
i was let down by the proper ending and the "well done sinji" thumbs up.... but end of eva was the most dramatic and emotion ending ever made... the animation, sybolisim, character development and well....everything was great, even thought i was depressed for a week, i dont see how it left any open ends? wraped everything up in my opinion
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:05 am Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
I don't see how it left any open ends? wraped everything up in my opinion

Ending? What Ending? If thats what you can even call it.

It may have awnsered a few questions but only in the vaguest possible way. If anything it only created more questiosn than awnsers.

Even the most basic of questions such as 'where were the Angels coming from?' were left unawnsered.

No one apart from Hideaki Anno himself will and can understand all that is 'End of Evangelion'.

I see it as mess more than a film.
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even the most basic of questions such as 'where were the Angels coming from?' were left unawnsered.

ok i can see your point there, but i think they said spoiler[they were prototypes for the dominat species on earth, however humans got chosen, they came from god.. to see who would win]
Smegger56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Evangelion was one of the first anime's i saw and i was amazed at the time how good it and anime really was.

However i have seen alot of other anime series since then and i can safely say that Evangelion is a good series but no way is it a masterpiece.

If i wrote a list of my top 25 anime, Evangelion would not be in it.

The next time you sit down and watch it your now reliase there is no real meat to the story. Questions are raised but they are not expanded on or followed up.

The sad fact is even 10 years after it's been made Evangelion is still hyped and exagerated to this day. It's reputation is far superior to the actual quality of the show.

I'd rather watch the masterpiece Gunbuster any day of the week...

i know what you mean. Nothing was really answered. In the series, it focused on the characters, and then, in the final 2 eps, it got all spiritual and 'over deep' (if that mmakes any sense). Really, they had a great thing going with the characters, but really fell on there faces in the final 2 eps, and the film.
GospelX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
It ultimately depends on how you approach the series. If you view the series as an action/adventure series, then you didn't get the closure or resolution that you desired. If you look at it as being more of a character-based story, you get everything that you want.

The same discussion about Eva has been held for the past ten years.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
I really don't see the problem:

At the end of the TV series:
spoiler[
1.) The 17th angel is dead, and humanity has won.

2.) Shinji learns that his life has meaning after killing the only person who showed him true affection without strings.]

At the end of End of Evangelion:

spoiler[
1.) The Hall of Souls (The Black Egg of Lilith) is refilled with the souls of humanity.

2.) Shinji decides to let humanity live its own life and find its own destiny.

3.) And Shinji and Asuka are still fighting . . . life goes on.]

I really don't see where there is no closure and why little questions like spoiler["Where do the Angels come from?"] matter.

Last edited by coldfusion5050 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
I personaly thought the ending of both End of Evangelion and the series were brilliant. I personaly didn't like the normal mecha parts of the series or think it was all that great until the ending. The ending not being straightforeward and getting into philosophy made the ending more debatable and had you have to think about stuff more than if they just resolved it. With End of Evangelion, they made the ending weirder but they gave you enough details do make it debateable as to EXACTLY what happened making you think about the specifics and making there more than one right conclusion. This also lets you debate what happened and makes the series live longer. And about where the angels came from and such, it IS a shonen anime; while it sure is much much better than most, its still shonen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
Didn't the angels come from spoiler[the White Moon? Or was it the Geofront in Antartica?]

Anyway, I agree with Hoenheim, it's the endings to Eva that make it such a fascinating series. I feel that from the very beginning there were many clues that this wasn't your usual mecha show, and those who were surprised by the cerebral nature of the endings should have payed more attention. There's foreshadowing in droves there, folks. The whole purpose of Eva was to get Hideaki Anno's feelings about the human psyche down on paper: the story itself is just a means to convey and support the characters. The story itself was never the focus to begin with.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
I was fiercely dissapointed with Eva,myself. It's worth pointing out that all I've seen of EVA is the old Perfect Collection boxset (And I think Death and Rebirth, many years ago.) So perhaps, if I watched the movies, I might feel better about it. I'm not going to, though- it was that upsetting to have this huge, interresting, engrossing buildup about the mysterious Adam and Rei's origins and Gendo's true motives... and then have the whole thing crap out into some bad art flim psych-class mumbo-jumbo, without explaining any of the stuff I wanted to know. It's gonna be a long time before that dissapointment fades enough for me to put more money into that series.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
The ending of the series was horrible, they've had alot of threads about this topic and people are always say it. The two movies made after the series were made to tie the lose knots that the series didn't. Though the ending of "The End of Evangelion" wasn't that good it was still an ending worth watching (I thought the ending was fine it didn't answer all the questions for me but it did answer the important ones.) If you don't understand I'll tell you what happened: spoiler[Everyone on earth was melded together by Lilith because thats what shinji oringinally wanted, a world where he could be alone, He realized that the world he created wasn't the way things should stay so he asked lilith to return everyone to earth. He was returned to earth along with Asuka. Lilith told him that anyone who wanted to return could if they could remember there oringinal form.]

That I hoped explained to those of you who might not of understood the ending. Smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
i used to hate it, but after seeing it a couple times it's one of my favorite series.
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I was fiercely dissapointed with Eva,myself. It's worth pointing out that all I've seen of EVA is the old Perfect Collection boxset (And I think Death and Rebirth, many years ago.) So perhaps, if I watched the movies, I might feel better about it. I'm not going to, though- it was that upsetting to have this huge, interresting, engrossing buildup about the mysterious Adam and Rei's origins and Gendo's true motives... and then have the whole thing crap out into some bad art flim psych-class mumbo-jumbo, without explaining any of the stuff I wanted to know. It's gonna be a long time before that dissapointment fades enough for me to put more money into that series.
Thats w hat makes the ending so good. It doesn't tell you Gendo's true motives; instead it gives you a story and gets you to make guesses on Gendo's motivation, among other points.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
You know why I was disappointed with it? Because it created characters I didn't give a rat's ass about so when it got into it's psychobable at the end I didn't care in the slightest how it turned out. I'll disagree strongly with anyone who says the ending was "good"(the last two episodes were an abomination, the movies were just bad imo), it may have lots of "philisophical" questions and issues but they have to executed well for them to be interesting and "good" in my book, something NGE most certainly didn't do.

You know what I got from the last two episodes in particular? I didn't get that "wow this is deep" feeling, or that "ooo so dramatic" feeling, I got that "wth kinda drug were they on? this is some #@!$ed up shit, I gotta get me some of that!" feeling. I was indescribably creeped out by the style, cinematography, and the voice acting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4