• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mechademia in December

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The table of contents for this first issue can be found here:
http://www.mechademia.org/current/.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'm a little confused. How does one get one's hands on this? I'm really interested but kind of clueless.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
How does one get one's hands on this?
The first issue won't be out until December, so you've got a few more months to wait. I'm not sure how widely available the journal will be. Hopefully you'll be able to order it from Amazon and find it in bookstores. At the very least you'll be able to order it directly from the Univ of Minnesota Press.
dokool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Given that I wrote my senior thesis as a study of American anime fandom, I'm very curious to read Susan Napier's piece in this and see what she wrote...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lothar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
FYI, while Napier's article addresses anime fandom as a whole, I've heard that it's about Miyazaki fandom in particular. Given his popularity and the fact that that Miyazaki is her favorite animator, that's not too surprising or out of place.

BTW, what did you touch on in your senior thesis about anime fandom?
dokool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
FYI, while Napier's article addresses anime fandom as a whole, I've heard that it's about Miyazaki fandom in particular. Given his popularity and the fact that that Miyazaki is her favorite animator, that's not too surprising or out of place.

It was pretty much a large overview/study - basic history of anime fandom's development, chapters on the major fan-arts (fansubs, amvs, fan-fic and fan art, documentaries and parodies, conventions), discussion of the legal issues and troubles within the fandom, what the future holds, why people get involved, all sorts of stuff. My committee's begged me to find a publisher, but who knows if I can find somebody interested Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
I just dropped off a note to The Right Stuf suggesting they pick up this title.

If they do I suggest preordering so you get your copy quickly.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
dokool wrote:
Lothar wrote:

It was pretty much a large overview/study - basic history of anime fandom's development, chapters on the major fan-arts (fansubs, amvs, fan-fic and fan art, documentaries and parodies, conventions), discussion of the legal issues and troubles within the fandom, what the future holds, why people get involved, all sorts of stuff. My committee's begged me to find a publisher, but who knows if I can find somebody interested Embarassed

You're adding to a body of literature that is still in need of additional information. I'd also recommend trying to get it published if your committe thinks it is good enough. Ask for recommendations from then for journals to pursue for publication. Also, look online for journals that specialize in reports/articles done specifically by students. Quite a few of those have pretty broad topics, so something like the history of anime might be well received. I don't know any off hand (I took a few years off after my first year of grad school and am only just returning this fall), but I hope you will persue the idea. Even if you can't find someone, at least you tried. You might research Mechademia to see if they take submissions. An ideal start, don't you think?

Personally, I certainly hoping to get my hands on this journal when it is released. It will be nice to see more academic discussion of one of my favorite hobbies. I'm a nerd, I admit it freely.

Edit: Actually, "Mechademia solicits work not only from academics and critics but also from filmmakers, publishers, artists, and writers, so as to represent the full range of commentary available in this field.

For further information, see the Call for Papers on this web site."
dokool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
You're adding to a body of literature that is still in need of additional information. I'd also recommend trying to get it published if your committe thinks it is good enough. Ask for recommendations from then for journals to pursue for publication. Also, look online for journals that specialize in reports/articles done specifically by students. Quite a few of those have pretty broad topics, so something like the history of anime might be well received. I don't know any off hand (I took a few years off after my first year of grad school and am only just returning this fall), but I hope you will persue the idea. Even if you can't find someone, at least you tried. You might research Mechademia to see if they take submissions. An ideal start, don't you think?

Yeah, I'd say so, except that my paper doesn't really fit in with their theme for Issue #2 - it would have been great for this issue, but unfortunately it flew under my radar (plus I imagine I didn't have much actual content by the time the submission deadline came around)...

Oh well, I'll keep looking. Thanks for the encouragement!
Kalium

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be reading this for sure. I want to see what kind of stuff they publish so I know how to revise my paper that they rejected.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, how did I miss this news item? I highly encourage everyone to check out Mechademia, for all the reasons above. I've heard the papers are excellent. Wink

Also, everyone should buy it [shameless self-promotion]to see my fiance's cover art and my own artwork in the "Anifesto" section[/shameless self-promotion].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Brian. I have been looking forward to this, more than any other anime related item, for over a year now. Very exciting!
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
For those interested it looks like you'll be able to get Mechademia through Amazon.com. You can preorder your copy now.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Kalium wrote:
I'm going to be reading this for sure. I want to see what kind of stuff they publish so I know how to revise my paper that they rejected.
If your paper was not accepted for submission, you should have received compiled comments from the editors who took a look at your article. If you didn't, just let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1