• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo 2007 in Long Beach

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, it would be rather odd of them to discuss this at the con gripe, but not at closing ceremonies. Plus given the near-consensus that Long Beach would simply not be able to accomodate the kind of numbers AX '07 would pull, until I hear something definite from the SPJA itself, *I* personally will treat this as an unfounded rumor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
um...uh...what's a "con-gripe"?
Abel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually I heard it from staff. Seems that the Anaheim CC is booked for that year by another group.

I'm not happy with Long Beach. Mainly for how rude and unprofessional their convention center staff are. ACC always has polite and cheerful staff.

Last edited by Abel on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
A session at the end of the con where attendees get a chance to complain about all the things they didn't like about the convention directly to the con chair and other senior staff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
They'd have to be someone *VERY* large (...and/or very wealthy) for AX to not be able to throw their own weight and treasury around. A plausible explanation, but still, let's hope that the person on AX staff in charge of negotiating with the convention center is *good*, and can leverage their positive history there.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
There's been word that they're going back to Long Beach for a while now. Anime dazed;

Though yeah, shouldn't that've been said at closing ceremonies? Anime smile;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, Long Beach is farther away. And the city itself isn't as nice.

Though, to be fair, I had a great time there at AX '02...
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh... I remember the nightmares of 2002 - and then I think about how much larger AX has grown. Shocked

Anybody remember the dealer room problems?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yoshitoshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
i was working on staff and heard that rumor as well. I guess the LBCC just underwent renovations recently but i dont see how it can accomodate such a large group.

Thankfully LACC is nowhere in the picture Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
So wait, another group booked the place 2 years in advanced? Knowing how big of a crowd gathers for AX why aren't they booking that far in advanced? I mean, obviously they tried to otherwise they wouldn't have known about the other group, but they should have the place reserved for 5 years in advanced just to guarantee their location.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
So wait, another group booked the place 2 years in advanced? Knowing how big of a crowd gathers for AX why aren't they booking that far in advanced? I mean, obviously they tried to otherwise they wouldn't have known about the other group, but they should have the place reserved for 5 years in advanced just to guarantee their location.

Emerje

/professional mode: could be that the other group booked not two years in advance, but three or four, maybe even before AX went back to Anaheim. Which is possible if we're talking about a very major trade show or association meeting that rotates through several different over an x-year period. Or it could simply be something that came down to the other group willing to pay more for the space...
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Yep, we're at the LBCC for 2007. Contracts are signed and everything, so there's no maybe about it. It was either there or the Los Angeles convention center, and even with our size that's a little huge (and expensive).

CorneredAngel wrote:

They'd have to be someone *VERY* large (...and/or very wealthy) for AX to not be able to throw their own weight and treasury around. A plausible explanation, but still, let's hope that the person on AX staff in charge of negotiating with the convention center is *good*, and can leverage their positive history there.

Heheh. While reports of us having a large treasury are rather exaggerated, we've got a pretty good gig set up at LBCC. If I understood correctly, I think we have the ENTIRE convention center plus arena. We won't be sharing space with anybody that year.

Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Our team is making plans as far ahead as 2012+. Smile

The Long Beach 2007 decision was made shortly after AX2003. The people who have the ACC in 2007 were the Shriners and they booked the place well in advance.

Last edited by xstylus on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:07 pm; edited 7 times in total
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
The people who have the ACC in 2007 were the Shriners and they booked the place well in advance.

That's all *I* needed to hear to be convinced. One of the cardinal rules of event management is that you do *not*, EVER, want to cross or try to challenge the Shriners.
Neoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:50 am Reply with quote
Who the hell are the Shriners?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
These are the Shriners

CA is right. You don't want to mess with masons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2