• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Back to School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
That's true, but there's a reason I gave DBZ and not DB... at any rate, my overall point stands: there are lots of very good or great anime that do not focus on high school or children. I just picked some shows off the top of my head.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one here out of all of you that actually enjoyed their high-school years of life. I have not accomplished if anything at all my personal life. It has been the 10 years since I've graduated from high-school and you know what i'm sad to say that was the high-light of my life. So anime series that use this setting will always have a soft-spot in my heart, call it what you will but hell I'm not afraid to admit it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree, high school went pretty well for me and I regret I didn't do more, like getting my license earlier. Either way, Japanese high school experiences in media are so dissimilar to the way America re-enacts it, what with big jock bullies, all the cliques, proms, football games, house parties, underage drinking, weed; those are all non-existent. And that absolutely no one owns cars, so the whole dating, cruising, and having general fun experiences don't exist either. Not to say some Japanese high school students don't find ways to party, but I doubt they're doing it like Westerners. Even their after-work drinking is almost scheduled and ritualized to where it's basically another requirement of the job or social bond-strengthening. I suppose that means something like little spontaneity. There's also mandatory club activities in anime, which had led to an enormous amount of shows that focus on club activities, be it benign like the Good Jobu, specific like Paranormal Clubs and Astronomy Clubs, or any sports involvement.

Maybe there's frustration because anime high school experience, being a contorted reflection of Japanese high school, isn't really at all that similar to our experiences, real or in entertainment.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say it's a tie between Nichijou and Azumanga Daioh. (Does GTO count as a "High School anime? It's set at a middle school and it centers around a 22 year old ex gangster- gone teacher.) But yeah, either Azumanga Daioh or Nichijou. Both are hilarious!!! I'd pick Azumanga Daioh for being one of the first in this genre and setting extremely high expectations for the high school comedies to come after. (It was also my first anime. Very Happy ) As for Nichijou, I'd pick it for it's hilarious over the top situations, it's characters, for making me die of laughter, and it's amazing animation. I love both of them so much, I can't just pick one! ( I also REALLY like Ouran High School Host Club, man why must there be so many awesome anime to choose from?) Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I agree, high school went pretty well for me and I regret I didn't do more, like getting my license earlier. Either way, Japanese high school experiences in media are so dissimilar to the way America re-enacts it, what with big jock bullies, all the cliques, proms, football games, house parties, underage drinking, weed; those are all non-existent. And that absolutely no one owns cars, so the whole dating, cruising, and having general fun experiences don't exist either. Not to say some Japanese high school students don't find ways to party, but I doubt they're doing it like Westerners. Even their after-work drinking is almost scheduled and ritualized to where it's basically another requirement of the job or social bond-strengthening. I suppose that means something like little spontaneity. There's also mandatory club activities in anime, which had led to an enormous amount of shows that focus on club activities, be it benign like the Good Jobu, specific like Paranormal Clubs and Astronomy Clubs, or any sports involvement.

Maybe there's frustration because anime high school experience, being a contorted reflection of Japanese high school, isn't really at all that similar to our experiences, real or in entertainment.

I think the clubs thing you mentioned is important to why folks dislike high school anime. In my high school, there was only one club (the writing club) and that wasn't much of a club at all. It was mostly where these two girls would get together and try to make a school newspaper after classes. We had sports teams and band, yes, but not any of this Astronomy or Light Music mess.

Now that I think about it, Japanese high school is really different. Hell, even the gangs in delinquent manga are more like clubs. They serve no purpose other than "Beating each other up for turf is fun stuff!" There's nobody trying to make a livelihood out of being in these gangs selling dope on the streets. The gangs here in the States have more in common with the Yakuza than the delinquents.

Speaking of drugs, why are they so much more taboo in Japan? Here, we expect our celebrities to be caught with two pounds of coke stuffed inside their car seats; in Japan, you can lose your entire career over having marijuana in your system.
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
High school was just another hoop for me to jump through. I knew only one jerk, whom I saw too infrequently for him to be a big problem (and he got booted out after junior year because he couldn't keep his GPA up). The school's film society meetings were fun to attend, until senior year when a change of management messed it all up (the students preferred to do their homework rather than pay attention to Chariots of Fire, and I don't blame them one bit). But I would never even consider going back. Anime, and by extension animation, is too versatile a story-telling medium to be limited to high school. Too many anime titles seem to champion the Al Bundy ideal ("I scored four touchdowns in a single inning!").

Quote:

I'd like for there to be more anime outside of high school, and more with adult protagonists, too. DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, just to name a few: these shows were successful even though they had little or nothing to do with high school or kids in general.

I think this perfectly captures the difference between American and Japanese tastes in anime. American anime fans by and large would prefer to see an anime that features protagonists in their 20's/30's and does not require cultural context to understand the story. Very few of them want to even remember high school. OTOH in Japan, high school is apparently considered the last time of your life when you feel free before you end up slaving away in a soulless salary job. I personally do not identify with any of the high school stories I see in the anime I watch.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
My favorite high school anime has to be Stellvia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4