• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-06-23]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Gonna love the flakes, I wonder how many email Answerman gets a week in the same category. I.E. I want to work for Anime, want to draw manga, want to be an animatior. But hell I guess we can all dream I bet huh?

The Evangelion email was very interesting, and I was thinking about it why do we keep on buying new re-releases of the same thing. I mean how much different can the 10th year edition from that of the Plat edition. I mean what exactly are they going to add to this that they haven't. Evangelion Jacket or no Jacket, I don't think that I am going to be buying this.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Goodspeed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Whoever that person from Invercargill is needs to worry about getting a grasp of the English language before anything else. Assuming they're American, of course.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Yay, the bunny and kitten returns. Laughing

Could have used a puppy. Crying or Very sad
Eric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, I have an issue with how so many of the pairings in yaoi seem to involve characters that are archenemies and/or related. Not only that, some will go so far as to make up the most bizarre excuses for these pairings. I’ve heard some defend a pairing of Ginji/Dr. Jackal by going “Well Jackal’s really flirting.” Let me tell you, cutting people up is a major turn on for me, oh yeah. How can people possibly expect pairings like Ginji/Dr. Jackal to make any sense whatsoever? How can they even justify pairings involving characters who are related, such as Vash/Knives? It boggles the mind.

What, never heard of S&M? Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
I agree about the puppy. Very Happy

Although the rant might not change the amount of yaoi fanfics, it's funny that someone finally complained about rival/enemy yaoi pairings. Nice closing sentance too.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
I've heard that DMP will eventually start up a publishing line for yuri, so we shouldn't have to wait too much longer for it to be available in Borders and gain some popularity.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Not all yaoi fans are into incest! I'm a yaoi fan, but I find incest fic gross(for real life people, I sympathize with them and I sincerely hope they get help). When I'm looking for RoyEd, I don't want to find AlEd! eww!

And I do hope we get some more yuri! I love Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon, and I hope to find other lesbian pairings to say rank in my top 10 pairings list!
luhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
Not all yaoi fans are into incest! I'm a yaoi fan, but I find incest fic gross(for real life people, I sympathize with them and I sincerely hope they get help). When I'm looking for RoyEd, I don't want to find AlEd! eww!

So you don't like incest, but pedophilia is A-OK!

I'm a female, in case anyone is wondering.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
I've heard that DMP will eventually start up a publishing line for yuri, so we shouldn't have to wait too much longer for it to be available in Borders and gain some popularity.

I just remember asking at AX and they said they were looking into it. Hopefully more info this year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
hanachan01 wrote:

So you don't like incest, but pedophilia is A-OK!

I'm a female, in case anyone is wondering.

First off, in real life pedophilia is wrong, and pedophile need counseling.

And I don't mean 12 year old Ed. Shota is weird. In my state, New Jersey, 16 is the age of consent. Ed's 16 for most of the series, and I don't like fics with Ed being any younger than 16. I'm talking older Ed, like his age in the movie, you know? Also, I remember Lust(or maybe Envy?) saying in the 5th laboratory that once Ed joined the military, he wasn't a child anymore.
astromog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Goodspeed wrote:
Whoever that person from Invercargill is needs to worry about getting a grasp of the English language before anything else. Assuming they're American, of course.

The Invercargill in this particular case is at the arse end of New Zealand, at the arse end of the world. For some reason, that part of the message made me laugh even more.

(A quick google search for the mentioned school confirms it.)
Kidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
I can sympathize with the guy in Kuwait. I used to live in the MiddleEast too (Dubai, UAE) and it was extremely hard and expensive to get hold of Anime merchandise. Even non-mainstream music CD's (ie. metal, progressive rock, basically stuff you wouldn't hear on radio) only recently became relatively available through local stores. Muslim countries tend to be pretty strict about what gets sold in stores and you'll very rarely see any anime in a store (unless it's something HUGE like Final Fantasy VII:AC). Obviously that doesn't justify the downloading of fansubs.

My advice to that guy is, if and when you move from Kuwait to a country where anime is much more readily available (I'm assuming you're there as an expat, either because of your parents or you're fulfilling a contract), make sure you at least buy DVD's for the shows you really enjoyed. In fact, erase your harddrive Razz , so you'll be more likely to purchase the legitimate copies.

Yay for the return of kitty and bunny! Criminally cute
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
And I don't mean 12 year old Ed. Shota is weird. In my state, New Jersey, 16 is the age of consent. Ed's 16 for most of the series, and I don't like fics with Ed being any younger than 16. I'm talking older Ed, like his age in the movie, you know? Also, I remember Lust(or maybe Envy?) saying in the 5th laboratory that once Ed joined the military, he wasn't a child anymore.

You seem to be focusing mainly on the age as being the deciding factor of whether he is shota or not... In all honesty, loli and shota have more to do with the body type then the actual age. If it were real life, it would be different, but in anime you can have a 1509 year old girl and she's considered loli because she looks like it. Older Ed doesn't look like shota (to me at least, I don't look at shota though) and that's what it pretty much comes down to.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:04 am Reply with quote
Part of the reason that there isn't a lot of yuri fanfiction out there (relative to the amount of yuri) is that for the most part, yuri fans are male, and yaoi fans are female, and I'd say at least 80% of all fanfiction writers are female. There are quite a few female yuri fans, myself included, but we seem to be a minority compared to the yaoi-only fans.

As for why there's so little yuri in anime in general, you can blame the Japanese for that. In my experience, most Japanese men don't seem to go for yuri as much as they go for het and even loli. Someone once explained to me that it's because he can't "imagine himself as a women" which ruins the, uhh, experience for him. I'm not sure if that's how it is for most of them, but I guess it makes sense. There are of course some yuri hentai manga, but there is almost no all-yuri hentai anime.

Shoujo-ai does seem to be making a bit of a surge, judging by the start of Yuri Hime magazine, anime being made based on Strawberry Panic and Simoun, and the increase of shoujo-ai and yuri themed manga. And shoujo-ai seems to be surging in America as well, so maybe we will see DMP churn out a yuri line as well. *crosses fingers*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Joichi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
Well i really think this yaoi talk of whether its wrong to like pedopilia yaoi, incest yaoi or rival/enemy yaoi is rather ridiculous, just let the fangirls have their fun and everyone has a choice of what they like, if you don't like it, don't read/watch it Razz This all depends on personal taste.. i mean i don't really see the pairing of AlEd, but i have a liking for uchicest of itasasu bascially because ironically, itachi doesn't act as the caring brother as Edward is which sparks twisted thoughts for the sadist yaoi fangirls xD i can't see Al and Ed because they remind me of my own relationship with my sister... and just pairing them as lovers is just wierd... but thats my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9