• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - The Pillows in Hollywood

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dokool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I saw their show in Seattle - Absolutely amazing, even though I have once again missed out on hearing Crazy Sunshine live (First time I saw them live was on the Good Dreams tour in Ebisu and it wasn't on the setlist, this time my friend in NYC whom I sold my ticket to got to hear it, but I didn't)...

Personally, I've been telling people who like their FLCL stuff to get My Foot, because I think it's one of their best albums. Great stuff. Also, kudos to Geneon for including english translations!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
they seemed kinda bothered that most people only know them from FLCL,i don't blame them. interesting interview.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
they seemed kinda bothered that most people only know them from FLCL,i don't blame them. interesting interview.

I can understand how they would be bothered by that, but at the same time, FLCL is all we American fans have to go off of. Nothing else from them, for the most part, was released over here. Now that more of their current albums are coming over here, hopefully we can get a better idea of the band. Personally, I have only heard their FLCL stuff, and I absolutely love it, so I'd like to see how they have changed over the years. Maybe, if the cosmos aligned properly and spoiler[Aeris doesn't die], we'll get the older albums over here. (I really hope we do, though, even amidst my sarcasm).
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd be irritated too if my band was liked almost entirely because it wasn't American and was featured in a somewhat popular show. It makes me mad when anime fans worship a band like the pillows and listen to J-Pop religiously and then dump all over American music.

People who won't listen to music if it isn't anime music really irritate me. There's a whole lot of great music they're missing out on.

I don't listen to much anime music, Yoko Kanno's stuff and The Pillows are all I ever listen to that's Japan or anime related.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Well it doesn't help that their entire catalog is all spread out in FLCL.

I am hoping somebody post them coving Breed by Nirvana from their SF show. Now that was effing awesome!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
I'd be irritated too if my band was liked almost entirely because it wasn't American and was featured in a somewhat popular show. It makes me mad when anime fans worship a band like the pillows and listen to J-Pop religiously and then dump all over American music.

People who won't listen to music if it isn't anime music really irritate me. There's a whole lot of great music they're missing out on.

I don't listen to much anime music, Yoko Kanno's stuff and The Pillows are all I ever listen to that's Japan or anime related.

I guess I'd fall into the category of people you first described. However, modern Japanese music has distinct differences from modern American music that makes each completely different to me, and I only like the former. Trust me, I've heard a lot of the modern American songs from my sister constantly leaving MTV and VH1 on (when they're showing music videos Razz), and I can say for sure that J-Pop/J-Rock is much better, at least in my opinion.

Now, I must say that I do not like all Japanese music -- not by a long shot. However, there is much J-Pop and J-Rock that I do like. At the same time, though, there is very little "anime music" that I listen to. I consider anime music to be songs created for anime, while J-Pop and J-Rock songs are not created for anime, but they are sometimes used in anime.

Anyway, my point is that American and Japanese music is very different, and I happen to prefer the latter.

Oh, and one more thing. I do in fact like a lot of American music from the '60s (and some British Wink), but that doesn't have much to do with comparing modern music from America and Japan. ^^
Bell02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Geeze, I would be too! They've been around for about 10 years before FLCL was made! I think they got the same reaction in Japan also, significantly increasing their fan base!

I know I can say as a Pillows fan that I'm bothered. While I think it's good advertising for bands, especially new ones (because it happens the most with new ones) but they need to break their image away from that after (and at times it probably makes them look stuck up) and it can be hard to do at times!

I just am happy that they didn't completely cater to the FLCL fan on tour!
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Is this the first Pillows album released in America other than the FLCL soundtracks?

Josh7289 wrote:
Trust me, I've heard a lot of the modern American songs from my sister constantly leaving MTV and VH1 on (when they're showing music videos Razz), and I can say for sure that J-Pop/J-Rock is much better, at least in my opinion.

Well there's your problem. If you only listen to the trash they like to put on MTV and VH1, of course you're going to hate American music because most of that stuff (but not all, naturally) is produced and marketed simply to be "popular" to the masses. You have to search out the good stuff on your own and not listen to the overly-marketed music that the major record labels like to shove down people's throats.

I remember having your opinion a few years back that Jpop/Jrock was much better compared to generic pop rock and "bling-bling" hip-hop (i.e., the glitzy trash) before I found my area's independent, alternative music station that played the stuff by people who weren't just trying to make a quick buck. (And for the record, there is good hip-hop out there, it's just mostly hidden by all the trash they play on the radio.) Now, I'm more of an alternative/punk kinda music-lover, but I still listen to the good Jrock/Jpop stuff. Just don't forget that there is good American music out there, despite what MTV and VH1 will try to persuade you.

And yeah, I know it was "in your opinion"; just trying to pass on some advice from one music fan to the next.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Is this the first Pillows album released in America other than the FLCL soundtracks?

No, Penalty Life was released in the US last year, and they were on tour to support it (saw them at Anime Central Cool ).
VulgarKyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
I was at the SF show and the played some unexpected songs in their set list. They played "Crazy Sunshine" and "Blues Drive Monster" in the same show. "Beautiful Morning With You" was there as well. Pretty amazing and I sure was lucky.

I had a chance to meet the pillows earlier and I asked them if they were coming back next year. Sawao said that they'd like to. At the end of the SF show, Sawao confirmed it with "See you next year." That's something to look forward to.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Treeloot wrote:

I guess I'd fall into the category of people you first described. However, modern Japanese music has distinct differences from modern American music that makes each completely different to me, and I only like the former. Trust me, I've heard a lot of the modern American songs from my sister constantly leaving MTV and VH1 on (when they're showing music videos Razz), and I can say for sure that J-Pop/J-Rock is much better, at least in my opinion.

Now, I must say that I do not like all Japanese music -- not by a long shot. However, there is much J-Pop and J-Rock that I do like. At the same time, though, there is very little "anime music" that I listen to. I consider anime music to be songs created for anime, while J-Pop and J-Rock songs are not created for anime, but they are sometimes used in anime.

Anyway, my point is that American and Japanese music is very different, and I happen to prefer the latter.

Oh, and one more thing. I do in fact like a lot of American music from the '60s (and some British Wink), but that doesn't have much to do with comparing modern music from America and Japan. ^^

No wonder you don't like modern music. You've only been listening to dreadful American music. With a few exceptions like Gnarls Barkley, nearly everything on MTV is awful.

Rock albums I really like (album title - artist):

Everything Goes Numb by Streetlight Manifesto (Usually classified as ska, but they're the only ska band I really like)

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium (It took me a few listens to get into this album, but once I did I loved it)

America Must be Destroyed - GWAR (Extremely rude and offensive. I love it!)

Rap albums I really like:

Will Rap for Food - CunninLynguists (They converted one of my friends to a rap fan)

Southern Underground - CunninLynguists

Labor Days - Aesop Rock

Vaudville Villian - MF Doom

Original Pirate Material - The Streets (A rapper who is both British and white)

There's also quite a bit of older rock music I really like, but you already listen to some of it so I won't make a list.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that YouTube video counts. Laughing

Anyway, yeah, I know about the MTV/VH1 = crap thing, but I don't care enough to find any other American music, so that is all I am exposed to.

Again, I like the older stuff from the '60s and '70s, though, so I'm glad no one tried to tell me about that.
Billybob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
lyricaldanichan wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Well it doesn't help that their entire catalog is all spread out in FLCL.

I am hoping somebody post them coving Breed by Nirvana from their SF show. Now that was effing awesome!

well their entire catolog defintiely is not just spread over FLCL. they only used songs from four of their 15 albums, and that's not even including their b-side collection. if you guys want to hear the other stuff, don't wait for a domestic rlease, go to cdjapan.com or yesasia.com and order their albums there.

oh, and somebody did put the nirvana cover on youtube already
Ferquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
I just am happy that they didn't completely cater to the FLCL fan on tour!

I don't know about that. If you look at their set list from their stop in Seattle a couple weeks ago, it's very FLCL-heavy, which kinda annoyed me 'cause I was hoping to hear more of their old stuff. But then, the FLCL stuff is their old stuff so I guess it's all right.
VulgarKyo wrote:
I had a chance to meet the pillows earlier and I asked them if they were coming back next year. Sawao said that they'd like to. At the end of the SF show, Sawao confirmed it with "See you next year." That's something to look forward to.

I talked with John of The Stereo Future, whose band is on the Delicious label and is a local act in Seattle who helped get the pillows to stop here, and he says they're definitely working on making this an annual event.
BillyBob wrote:
well their entire catolog defintiely is not just spread over FLCL. they only used songs from four of their 15 albums, and that's not even including their b-side collection. if you guys want to hear the other stuff, don't wait for a domestic rlease, go to cdjapan.com or yesasia.com and order their albums there.

I agree. Get the albums now. I really doubt Geneon's gonna go back and rerelease the pillows' older albums. Definitely worth it to get 'em. It's not all just FLCL. Penalty Life and MY FOOT are definitely great, but you also gotta give a listen to GOOD DREAMS and HAPPY BIVOUAC. Another Morning, Another pillows is good too. It's full of their B-sides and there are some really great songs on there. Beats tracking down all their old Maxi-singles.
dokoll wrote:
Absolutely amazing, even though I have once again missed out on hearing Crazy Sunshine live

How'd you miss that? You were at the Seattle stop, right? They did Crazy Sunshine.

Also, for those interested, I have more pics from the Seattle stop here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bell02

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
I don't remember FLCL too well... I did like it though I can't remember all of Which songs were on it (and they weren't spread out, they were from the last four albums before the show was made in 1999), I just know which albums featured a some songs. Though I also didn't go to seatle, I went to SF, and theirs felt 50-50.

Also, I swore Good Dreams came out in the US from Genon. I don't really know though because I always import, so I usually have the CDs a long while before they are released here. I would say that its good to support them in the US and buy domestic CDs but I can't wait that long, darn it! (Its bad enough to wait for the Japanese releases, as I pre-order new cds also)

Also, you guys shouldn't haze people for not liking American/British music! I don't haze people for not liking Japanese music, and if anything I could see my self in that person's shoes. I've heard and seen pleanty of good American/British/Canadian bands and music, most of which are considered good, and non-main stream, but I don't feel anything for them.
I can also tell you that its also very annoying to insist on a person that way also, because I'm sure the person is being as polite as possible to not hurt your feellings and tell you what they really think of the songs. While it is true that I admit to liking some British, and American bands, I can't say I like the genre because they would be about 4 or so groups in a pile of 50 or so Japanese favorites, and it would be no where near the top ten.

So please do the guy a favor and let it go!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2