• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gozar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I read in the Manga section for Furuba that Volume 20 released in Japan a new months ago...gee I thought it was over in Japan, lol.....does anyone know if Takaya has released info or hinted on how long FB will run for?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
Not so sure, but I'm on this website and there may or may not be answers to your question. WARNING, MAJOR SPOILERS in this website as far as the manga is concerned.
http://winglica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=571

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never thought this thread would grow into what is today, I am so grateful to everybody who has continued to show their support for this wonderful series. This thread has been continually active for two whole years now. I currently have a lot of catching up to do for this index, but I assure you that I will be working hard to make everybody's experience in this thread one of the best. I hope that even if you do not post in this thread anymore, that you continue to support it, and look forward to other series from the author. And for those just getting into the series, we always welcome newcomers and encourage you to post to show your support or bring about any questions you might have about the series.

fighterholic

Date of Edit: 7-18-08

Thread Started: 7-8-06
Current Lifespan of Thread: 2 years
Current Length of Thread: 150 pages
Number of posters: 56 (as of page 149)
Top 5 posters (as of page 149): fighterholic (720), aya_honda (466), LydiaDianne (274), murph76 (186), Ningensei (136)

Page links:

Page 5
Page 10
Page 15
Page 20
Page 25
Page 30
Page 35
Page 40
Page 45
Page 50
Page 55
Page 60
Page 65
Page 70
Page 75
Page 80
Page 85
Page 90
Page 95
Page 100
Page 105
Page 110
Page 115
Page 120
Page 125
Page 130
Page 135
Page 140
Page 145
Page 150

Post with the fate of the Zodiac: WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=521113#521113

Post with details to the last chapter of the manga series: WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=351768#351768

Frequently asked questions regarding the Fruits Basket series:
Q: What volume does the anime end in?
A: Volume 6, with elements and references taken from volumes 7 and 8 as well.

Q: Will there be a second season to the anime?
A: At this point, no. There are currently no plans to make a second season, it's been over four years since they made the series, and Takaya Natsuki (the author) was not happy with the outcome of the series.

Fun Stuff:
Fruits Basket Characters Popularity Contest (the numbers and rankings for the characters are based on the contests held in Hana to Yume comics over the course of the series)
FB Survey

Volume discussions:
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12
Volume 13
Volume 14
Volume 15
Volume 16
Volume 17
Volume 18
Volume 19
Volume 20

Central character discussions:
Momiji
Mayu
Ayame
Kisa
Katsuya
Kagura
Hatsuharu
Saki (Hanachan)
Ritsu
Motoko
Hatori
Kimi
Hiro
Rin (Isuzu)
Naohito
Machi
Kureno
Arisa (Uochan)
Kakeru
Akito
Shigure
Kyoko
Yuki
Kyo
Tohru

Character Relationship Discussions:
Kisa and Hiro
Kyo and Kazuma
Hatori and Mayu
Hatsuharu and Rin (Isuzu)
Tohru, Arisa, Saki
Yuki and Kakeru
Shigure, Ayame, Hatori
Kyo and Momiji
Kakeru and Machi
Kisa and Tohru
Yuki and Ayame
Kakeru and Kimi
Shigure and Akito
Tohru and Momiji
Yuki and Makoto
Kyo and Kagura
Yuki and Akito
Kureno and Arisa
Tohru and Rin
Yuki and Haru
Kagura and Tohru
Kyo and Shigure
Akito and Kureno
Rin and Shigure
Haru and Tohru
Rin and Akito

My thanks to darkchibi07 and frentymon for ideas and inspirations from the Haruhi thread, as well as thanks to the undying efforts of the moderators.

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:04 am; edited 21 times in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
I'm not following Furuba in Japan right now, but I heard a fan say that Takaya wanted to end it around volume 22. Also, supposedly the story seems to be coming to a closure in the recent chapters...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
As far as chapter 124 goes spoiler[Akito pushed Tohru off a cliff and she got a serious head injury that may be fatal, she's still in a coma. And Kyo might kill himself.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:

spoiler[Akito's a dude, dude.]

spoiler[In the anime, yes. In the manga, Akito is female.]
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
spoiler[In the anime, yes. In the manga, Akito is female.]

This explains certain actions about Akito that I always wondered about in the series. Hmm. I just started on the manga so I haven't gotten near Akito there yet, I only have the first 2 volumes so far.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

This explains certain actions about Akito that I always wondered about in the series. Hmm. I just started on the manga so I haven't gotten near Akito there yet, I only have the first 2 volumes so far.

It's revealed relatively late in the manga's run, there was quite an outroar when it was revealed, especially to people who were very attached to spoiler[ Akito being male.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
**humph!** No matter spoiler[what sex Akito is, ]Akito is one of the biggest...jerks...in the manga I'm currently reading.

Maybe my opinion will change by the final volume but for some reason fighterholic's post makes me doubt it.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, does anyone miss when this title was a funny, endearing comedy and not a ridiculous, melodramatic soap-opera? No one?

Last edited by Kagemusha on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Because it hasn't been revealed yet that spoiler[ he's a she in the U.S. manga.] I think it happens in volume 14 or 15. I don't know as I only read the U.S. release of it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I would have used a spoiler cut if the first person hadn't already referred to spoiler[ her as a "she".] Then again, it's gotten to the point it's like telling people about Aeris' fate in FF. I don't even read/watch Furaba and I know that spoiler[ Akito is female (I also don't play FF).]

Basically, Akito spoiler[is female but has been raised male, for various reasons, which is why she is referred to as male.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Akito being female is one of the bigest secrets in the Sohma household. Where that secret is revealed is actually volume 17, and Kureno tells Tohru that while also revealing that he is not cursed anymore. It is not known by many in the SOhma household, the old lady, Ren, Kureno, Hatori, Ayame and Shigure all know. Which would explain the actions toward the end of 17 where there is a scene of which AKito and Shigure sllep together.] All of the above mentioned have known this since Akito was born.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
That particular plot twist was spoiled for me a long time ago, and it's true that it seems to be pretty much as big a secret as the ending of Cowboy Bebop. Still, there might be a few people who will be spoiled by this thread, so everyone going back and adding spoiler tags might be appreciated. Believe it or not, I've even seen threads by people who are watching Bebop for the first time and have been terribly upset because the series was ruined for them by people who didn't use spoilers under the assumption that the ending is pretty much common knowledge.

I also think it wouldn't hurt if we started specifying whether things are spoilers for what English readers know and what Japanese readers know in Fruits Baskets threads. It would be a shame if those following the English releases can't participate in discussions about what they've read so far for fear of finding out something they don't want to know yet. And, to be safe, when in doubt use spoilers if you even think you might be mentioning something someone might not want to know yet. I know I've appreciated considerate posters like fighterholic who are usually pretty good at mentioning which chapter or volume their spoilers are for. I'd hate to have to avoid Fruits Baskets posts altogether for roughly two years once the final Japanese volume comes out so that I don't find out the ending, because I do enjoy discussing what I've read so far.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
RainOfSteel wrote:
I thought it quite odd that he declared his love for Tohru, and then nothing happens in vols 12 and 13.

Hmm. <must suppress alarmism />

spoiler[He then realizes that his love for Tohru is that of a son-mother relationship, seeing as how he didn't get much motherly love from his own mother as you can see in 12, 13. This realization happens right at the end of volume 14, and gets explained in volume 15. And he therefore decides not to keep competing with Kyo.]
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
spoiler[I thought it quite odd that he declared his love for Tohru, and then nothing happens in vols 12 and 13.]

Hmm. <must suppress alarmism />

spoiler[He then realizes that his love for Tohru is that of a son-mother relationship, seeing as how he didn't get much motherly love from his own mother as you can see in 12, 13. This realization happens right at the end of volume 14, and gets explained in volume 15. And he therefore decides not to keep competing with Kyo.]

spoiler[And I was rooting for Yuki, too. I seem to be on the wrong side of wishing for this series.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 170