• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's from fan book 2007
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Where is that picture from? Is it in a later volume of the manga? Or is it just fan art or something? It's pretty hilarious though, to see Akito embarrassed and blushing! Wink

Yep. That's from the latest fanbook. A side of Akito we didn't get to see, but I'm sure Shigure would enjoy a little cosplay from Akito Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
This is an OT post, but still related to FB, because it's about Takaya Natsuki's other series, Genei Musou. A couple weeks ago I got all five volumes and I finally finished it today. What I saw intersting was spoiler[at the ending had an event that had to do with the main characters' grandchild, which parallels the ending of FB where we saw TOhru and Kyo's granddaughter talking to her mom. ]What I also saw is that Genei Musou had an epilogue of what became of the characters after the main storyline of GM. Which makes me wish (and I think I'm not alone) that Takaya could have put in an epilogue to what happened to everybody after the events of FB. Course, with the twenty plus characters that all had something to do with the story, I can see her not doing that because then she would have had to think of something that would have happened to everybody after FB. When I get the chance, I want to read Tsubasa Wo Motsumono and see if there have been similarities between all three of Takaya's series. And the one I mentioned above wasn't the only thing I saw between GM and FB (such as spoiler[idiot relatives], Lydia's favorite) Wink
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hmm...it seems like Shigure's week is going as slow as Akito's last week.

I guess I can reiterate what others have said in that Shigure is such an interesting character with so many sides to him that I am always looking forward to what antics he will pull off next. I absolutely love all the romantic/perverted teasing that he pulls withspoiler[ Yuki, Kyo (especially), and even Hatori. I remember the part when the girls (Uo and Hana chan) took Yuki and Kyo swimsuit shopping with them for Tohru. Later we see Shigure talking to Hatori on the phone and he says something like, you just imagined Tohru in a bathing suit didn't you? or something to that effect. I can't remember if it was the swimsuit chapter or when Yuki and Tohru went to Ayame's "Love" shop. ]

It has been mentioned that Shigure spoiler[wants Akito so badly, but cannot have her for some reasons, so I was wondering about the part in the newest English volume 16. After Akito throws a fit about Yuki apologizing, I think it is Hatsuharu who is talking to Shigure and asks why he is taking care of and consoling Akito. Shigure kind of shrugs it off saying he doesn't really feel like it or doesn't go to Akito all the time, but why is that? If he has such strong feelings for her I would think he would try to get more personal time with Akito (whenever she is not with Kureno, that is).] Well maybe I am looking to much into it, but if anyone has any theories, please let me know! Embarassed
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Akito spoiler[wasn't throwing a fit about Yuki apoligizing. She threw a fit because she saw in his eyes that he was "leaving" her.]

I saw the part where Shigure spoiler[said that he wasn't going to go to Akito:

Haru: What about Sensei (Shigure)? Not going to Akito? He's been closed up since earlier.

Shigure: I don't always have to go smooth things over, Do I? I don't feel like it.

Haru: Your moods are fickle, Sensei. A lot.

Shigure: Yessir! Clearly erratic - that's me!

Haru: Anyway, Say Hi to Rin for me.

Shigure: Okay

Shigure waves goodbye to Haru

Shigure: Akito...It would be nice if you could realize it, too]

That part I didn't get. Especially the last line.

Oh, BTW - I think Hatori spoiler[oopsed and let Shigure know that he still cares for Mayu:

Shigure: I wanted to take a picture of you in your lovely costume for Mayu-chan.

Hatori: That's asinine. Don't toy with her over things like...Wait have you two reconciled?

The next panel shows Shigure looking rather startled.

The panel after that shows Shigure: Ha! Ah ha ha! No worries! Nothing to worry about at all!

And Hatori is drawn with many dark lines across him and the words "Slip of the tongue!"

Methinks Hatori was a bit concerned about Mayu and Shigure. Don't you think? Anime hyper ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
He spoiler[might have thought that since Hatori did see Mayu over the summer. And what happened between them during the summer might have had him thinking about her. I was a bit taken aback when I saw that Shigure would not go to Akito after her getting mad at Yuki, since I had always seen him going to her before that. ]That's until I read volume 17 Wink
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see. So it's another one of those "All shall be revealed" at a later time. Smile I guess I can wait to see what happens! It was just a thought, considering Shigure's spoiler[feelings for Akito]. BTW, thanks for the direct quotes LydiaDianne, I was too lazy to go look that part up in my manga, but I did remember how he was kind of non chalant about the whole thing.

I wonder if they are going to release those other series by Natsuki Takaya in English? After I first started reading FB, I checked on ANN to see if she had any other works, but they were all in Japan only! You would think since FB is so popular they would bring over more of her work, kind of what they did with Kubo Tite and Zombie Powder. I know that I would buy them!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The problem with her other works are that they are older than Fruits Basket, and not so long (Genei Musou 5 books, Tsubasawo Motsumono 4 books). So companies may not be willing to take a chance on these series since they did somewhat in Japan, and can they live up to the popularity of FB. I think the answer is no, GM goes along a much darker path and mature theme than FB, spoiler[and people die more often in that series. ]TM though seems to be getting some recognition over in Japan, they are currently novelizing the series.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been rereading Fruits Basket (again), and with all the new information from more recent volumes and spoilers I've read, I'm seeing some very early scenes in the series differently, (which is only natural, I suppose), especially with Shigure.

I was very surprised by how different one scene with Shigure seemed. I'm reading Vol. 3 right now and recently finished the chapter where spoiler[Shigure has his flashback, dreaming as a child about the one he loves. The scene then returns to the present, with Shigure and Hatori discussing Tohru and possibility Shigure and Akito are using her. Shigure says he'll always remember his childhood promise to be with that person he dreamed about, and how he'll do anything and use anyone. And if he achieves his goal, he won't feel any guilt.]

Now maybe I was assuming something I shouldn't have, but spoiler[when I first read that scene I thought Shigure's plot was to free himself and the Jyunnishi from the curse. But now, I'm thinking his real goal is only to win Akito and he'll step on or use anyone do achieve it, other Jyunnishi and Tohru included.]

I realize I could be way off base here, especially in my initial thoughts about the scene. And if I'm wrong, someone please correct me. But I'm curious. How did the rest of you understand that scene at first, and how did that impression change as new information was revealed?

For me, it changes Shigure's character, spoiler[from someone pursuing a selfless goal by seeking freedom for the Jyuunishi to someone pursuing a selfish goal, wanting Akito and not caring what it takes to get her or what happens to the others. ]

So, what do you think? Am I wrong? How so?

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
For me, it changes Shigure's character, spoiler[from someone pursuing a selfless goal by seeking freedom for the Jyuunishi to someone pursuing a selfish goal, wanting Akito and not caring what it takes to get her or what happens to the others. ]

That would seem that it is certainly what it comes down to. But you have to figure that Shigure spoiler[was planning something after he told Hatori what his plans were, and even with Hatori objecting to it he wasn't going to do anything to stop it. Another hint that he was planning something was when Yuki questioned why it was so easy to get Akito's permission to let Tohru stay at the house and the fact that they weren't going to erase her memories.
]

I just realized it's Friday night, so I need to post the hint for our next character. JUST TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW, WE ARE NOW DOWN TO 4 MORE CHARACTERS.
Hint: spoiler[Abandoned by the ones who raised her, separated from the one she loved, taken from one that was hers, but reunited from her soulmate in death.]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
well i thought that he plan something, but i didn't think too much what he is planning.

I saw other scene in the series differently, the scene in volume 11 when Shigure is talking with Akito, at the end of this scene he looks annoyed at Kureno. At first i thought he is angry at Akito, i don't know why i didn't think that Shigure is angry at Kureno after all kureno looked at him, too and Akito already went out, but when i was reading the scene when Shigure told Kureno he hates him that reminded me about this scene from volume 11 and i realized that he looked annoyed at Kureno.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm back! You can't escape me! Twisted Evil

In spite of the fact that I haven't been around here this week I'm a little surprised about how little have you been discussing about poor Shigure. Very Happy I mean, this is the most intricate character in the manga....And look who's talking, the one who didn't come here this week... Embarassed I'm sorry, real life can be harsh sometimes. Nevertheless, I think that there should be said some more things about Shigure, like the fact that he didn't care about spoiler[his parents. When meeting with them, he tells his editor that unfortunately they still alive or they exist, something like that, which was a proof that he really felt disdain for them.]

Edit: I am bloody blind! I haven't seen your screaming clue, fighterholic, just a good sign that I'm beyond tired! Rolling Eyes Embarassed But I have to agree with Ningensei about her guess! Embarassed

Last edited by aya_honda on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Hint: spoiler[Abandoned by the ones who raised her, separated from the one she loved, taken from one that was hers, but reunited from her soulmate in death.]

Ooh, I think I know! Is it spoiler[Kyoko?] Or am I totally wrong? That would be embarrassing Embarassed
pixiebell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Whew! I am finally caught up with the Fruits Basket manga that has been released in the U.S.!

I really enjoyed reading about how spoiler[Tohru's parents met and fell in love. Every character in this series seems to experience such tragedy and pain. Not to mention that the majority of the parents seem incapable of anything resembling good parenting I can't understand how Natsuki Takaya manages to make it such a fun read with all the tragedy that goes on but I absolutly love it. The anime (for the most part) portrayed Kyoko as a gushy/lovey dovey mom figure and Vol.16 showed a totally different side of her. I am still wondering how Kyo came to meet Kyoko and get into such a deep discussion with her] but hopefully that will be revealed later on. I do wish that the anime had coverd the spoiler[Cinderella play from Vol. 15 I laughed so hard that I nearly fell off the couch! It would have been such a treat to see it animated.]

The last discussion you guys had was about Shigure so I thought I would add my two cents. I have mixed feelings about Shigure, I am still not sure of his motivations and if any of his kindness is for real or just for show. spoiler[ I can't wrap my head around him being in love with Akito, it just doesn't make any sense to me.] For the most part I can't help but like him. Acctually I like the majority of the FB characters, my favorite has got to be Momiji! Very Happy

Is the character in the latest question spoiler[Kyoko? She is the only one that I think fits that description but I supose I could be wrong.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
pixiebell wrote:
Whew! I am finally caught up with the Fruits Basket manga that has been released in the U.S.!

I really enjoyed reading about how spoiler[Tohru's parents met and fell in love. Every character in this series seems to experience such tragedy and pain. Not to mention that the majority of the parents seem incapable of anything resembling good parenting I can't understand how Natsuki Takaya manages to make it such a fun read with all the tragedy that goes on but I absolutly love it. The anime (for the most part) portrayed Kyoko as a gushy/lovey dovey mom figure and Vol.16 showed a totally different side of her. I am still wondering how Kyo came to meet Kyoko and get into such a deep discussion with her] but hopefully that will be revealed later on. I do wish that the anime had coverd the spoiler[Cinderella play from Vol. 15 I laughed so hard that I nearly fell off the couch! It would have been such a treat to see it animated.]

The last discussion you guys had was about Shigure so I thought I would add my two cents. I have mixed feelings about Shigure, I am still not sure of his motivations and if any of his kindness is for real or just for show. spoiler[ I can't wrap my head around him being in love with Akito, it just doesn't make any sense to me.] For the most part I can't help but like him. Acctually I like the majority of the FB characters, my favorite has got to be Momiji! Very Happy

Is the character in the latest question spoiler[Kyoko? She is the only one that I think fits that description but I supose I could be wrong.]

Welcome to the Fruits Basket thread, we always are happy to see people joining our discussions about our FB fandom. The Cinderella Play was made into a drama CD, unfortunately it's in Japanese only, so hopefully you can understand Japanese. I really liked seeing the story behind Kyoko's parents, because we now know how Tohru came along, as well as seeing about her father, since she rarely talks about him.

So, with that in mind, I now welcome you all to Kyoko Honda week!! Very Happy With the recent release and success of volume 16, this draws well on what we will be discussing for this week. I hope that all will go well here.

Characters related to Kyoko:
- Tohru
- Katsuya
- Kyo
- Arisa
- Saki
- Kyoko's parents

Enjoy.

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 70 of 170