• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
It's been quite awhile since I have seen the anime, but did it make Yuki out to be not as emotionally scarred/depressed as he was in the manga? I know the anime showed how Yuki is affected by Akito, but I don't think it was to the same extent and it kind of focused on his "princely image."

It's been a while for me as well but I think you are correct, in the anime, Yuki isn't as emotionally damaged as he is in the manga.

I've said it in a couple of places, most recently on the ANN Front Page news article about FB selling 18 million manga, but if they are going to do something with FB, I feel that it would have to be a remake because the anime wasn't doing Akito properly and the Yuki/Tohru/Kyo relationship as well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
The later volumes of FB spoiler[truly gave light to why Yuki was so afraid of Akito, but even then you could feel his fear towards Akito. The situation of bringing Yuki into the whole trying to bring Kyo back after he transformed at the end of the series was whack, on top of that, he was the one who got scratched.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
Yes, I agree about how the anime handled the ending of the series. When I first watched FB I loved it alot, but I felt something was missing and then found out about the manga and started to read that. With this knowledge, looking back on the anime, it dropped the ball on quite a few things, including the spoiler[characterization of Yuki(and Tohru, I feel), Kyo's transformation, etc]. The manga is so superior, but I almost want to go back and rewatch the anime, because I haven't seen it for many years so my memory is a little fuzzy sometimes with regards to it.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Yes, I agree about how the anime handled the ending of the series. When I first watched FB I loved it alot, but I felt something was missing and then found out about the manga and started to read that. With this knowledge, looking back on the anime, it dropped the ball on quite a few things, including the spoiler[characterization of Yuki(and Tohru, I feel), Kyo's transformation, etc]. The manga is so superior, but I almost want to go back and rewatch the anime, because I haven't seen it for many years so my memory is a little fuzzy sometimes with regards to it.

The FB anime is one of those where you just have to enjoy it for itself. I just pretend that there is no connection whatsoever to the manga. It just makes things easier and I can enjoy the anime.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
The FB anime is one of those where you just have to enjoy it for itself. I just pretend that there is no connection whatsoever to the manga. It just makes things easier and I can enjoy the anime.

An alternate universe so to speak? Like Ghost in the Shell where the movies are in a different universe from the TV series. The anime didn't seem to brush up too well on the Ayame-Yuki as well as Yuki-Hatori relationships as well.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

An alternate universe so to speak? Like Ghost in the Shell where the movies are in a different universe from the TV series. The anime didn't seem to brush up too well on the Ayame-Yuki as well as Yuki-Hatori relationships as well.

Yeah, basically. Because (according to the Encyclopedia) the anime came out just before Vol. 7 was released in Japan. So let's say that they started making the anime about 6 months before so they started at around Vol. 4 or 5. So then they would have had no clue where Natsuki Takaya was going.

FB and Sailor Moon are a couple reasons why Anime should be made AFTER the manga is finished or at least halfway finished.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
I can throw in Hellsing in there as well, since the original anime series had this ending that had nothing to do with the manga. Fortunately they're releasing Hellsing Ultimate, which follows the manga by the book and chapter. Sweet and sick.
Jade L.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Something's been puzzling me regarding Yuki. Does he spoiler[change into the rat when he's really happy? There are at least a couple instances where that happens, i.e. when Tohru first called him Yuki-kun; and when he led little Tohru home and saw mother & daughter happily re-united.] Just wondering why that is.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Jade L. wrote:
Something's been puzzling me regarding Yuki. Does he spoiler[change into the rat when he's really happy? There are at least a couple instances where that happens, i.e. when Tohru first called him Yuki-kun; and when he led little Tohru home and saw mother & daughter happily re-united.] Just wondering why that is.

When it comes to the Zodiac members, spoiler[they change into their animal form when they are hugged by the opposite sex or are sick and weak. When Tohru called Yuki "Yuki-kun" instead of Sohma-kun, he had come down with the cold and a fever. What that probably did to him was shock him or catch him with something that he was least expecting, hence the changing. The time he reunited Kyoko and Tohru he was down with asthma.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Although I said I wasn't really a fan of Yuki's I am really enjoying the chapters where we get to see him aspoiler[nd Machi's relationship developing. Like in the latest volume, when Yuki invites Machi out with the other council members for fun, I think she was really shocked and embarrassed! Not to mention when Yuki sees Machi has kept the leaf that he gave her from the class trip, she gets completely flustered which I thought was cute because we never got see that side of her before. I don't think Yuki realizes her developing feelings, nor his own yet, but he is just being nice to her yet unintentionally making her all embarrassed. Embarassed awww.... I can't wait to see how this develops further. I believe Kakeru is well aware of how Machi is feeling though, because when Yuki found out her favorite color is red, Kakeru yells, "So Machi likes RED, huh?" while putting his arm around Yuki. I don't think anyone else got that hint except for Machi.] Laughing I think I mentioned this part while I was discussing my reactions to the newest volume way back.

On a side note: I finally found out how to edit my manga list and make it public. Embarassed I feel like a genius. Also, do you guys make it so that you get email notifications of whenever someone posts a reply or topic? I saw that option in the profile but it seems that one would receive a lot of email messages if you chose to have it on. I just log in and browse the topics when I see there have been new posts. How about you guys?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:

On a side note: I finally found out how to edit my manga list and make it public. Embarassed I feel like a genius. Also, do you guys make it so that you get email notifications of whenever someone posts a reply or topic? I saw that option in the profile but it seems that one would receive a lot of email messages if you chose to have it on. I just log in and browse the topics when I see there have been new posts. How about you guys?

Don't worry I felt that way too when I first came on here. Rolling Eyes Wink

And yes, I do have the automatic e-mail notifications. The main reason being is that I'm interested in so many threads, I don't want to forget about them, so having ANN let me know is easier.

Just a word of warning. There is a glitch in ANN's notification system. It's been there from ANN's beginning and they are unable to fix it for some techie reason. When you get the notifications, you will get TWO, yes TWO, of them. It does at up, one time my mailbox told me that I had 100 messages! But what I do is that I go through the mailbox and delete the double. Then I go and read them. I'm not sure how the others do it but that's my method.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the insider info! Wink I may consider getting email alerts as I am expanding into other parts of the ANN forums besides Fruits Basket....But it's so cozy here! Laughing Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Thanks for the insider info! Wink I may consider getting email alerts as I am expanding into other parts of the ANN forums besides Fruits Basket....But it's so cozy here! Laughing Laughing

You've gotta leave the womb...er...basket sooner or later. Very Happy
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so I just finished the anime (I loved it).

I just have a few questions.

Do the characters in the manga have the same personalities as the anime characters? I know some animes tend to venture off and change characters for the story and sales.

I want to start reading the manga. What volume does the manga take place after the anime ends? Im going to buy all the volumes, Im just curious though.

Anyways, though I wish I hadn't seen this spoiler, spoiler[Im very pleased to know that Kyo is the one that ends up with Tohru. I like Kyo much more than Yuki. This was actualy a surprise to me because from the beginning to the middle and even to the end, I thought Tohru was going to end up with Kyo-at least thats how it looked through most of the anime.]

Thanks.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Anime_Fever wrote:
Do the characters in the manga have the same personalities as the anime characters? I know some animes tend to venture off and change characters for the story and sales.

I want to start reading the manga. What volume does the manga take place after the anime ends? Im going to buy all the volumes, Im just curious though.

For the most part everybody's personalities stay the same if you were to compare the manga to the anime, but as the later volumes come up you can see that character's personalities differ from the anime. Shigure spoiler[is a really carefree person in the anime, in the manga there are hints of dark secrets here and there. I don't even get him coming up in the last episode when Tohru went into the woods after Kyo] Rolling Eyes The manga ends at the beginning of volume six with certain stories taken from volumes seven and eight.

There was potential for Yuki spoiler[and Tohru to get together at the beginning of the series, but as time went on, it apparently wasn't the case. I also noticed that as the series progressed, there were less occasions of Yuki being together with Tohru than there were in the beginning, because the focus shifted from Yuki and Tohru (especially after his confession to Kakeru) to Kyo and Tohru.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 170