• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Quote:
I have great news. Thanks to everybody who has posted here, and the fact that we're all Fruits Basketholics, this thread is officially the most powerful non-sticky thread in the manga forum. I checked all 51 pages myself.

BTW - Here's the one that I think is the most powerful one in the anime section...

Quote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
[ Goto page: 1 ... 71, 72, 73 ]

Back on topic, I have to say, what you guys have written here has just really, really made me want these volumes to arrive faster! I want to read and enjoy what you have read. I'm so very jealous but on the other hand, I have something to look forward to over the next few years! Rolling Eyes Wink

And Tohru's Father's Family sucks dirty ditch water!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Quote:
Back on topic, I have to say, what you guys have written here has just really, really made me want these volumes to arrive faster! I want to read and enjoy what you have read. I'm so very jealous but on the other hand, I have something to look forward to over the next few years!

Glad we are of some help! Wink I can definetly understand your impatience. Hopefully though it won't take you years to read this manga. Very Happy Wink Because it would be so interesting for you to come here and discuss it as soon as you can.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Quote:

Amen to that! (Though Katsuya's father can be considered an exception). Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="LydiaDianne"]BTW - Here's the one that I think is the most powerful one in the anime section...

Quote:

Umm, yes. I have known that for quite some time now.

Quote:
Back on topic, I have to say, what you guys have written here has just really, really made me want these volumes to arrive faster! I want to read and enjoy what you have read. I'm so very jealous but on the other hand, I have something to look forward to over the next few years! Rolling Eyes Wink

Yeah, when it ends, or gets close to it, American Fruits Basket fans are going to be crazy. And we'll probably have no problem reviving this thread, unless we just decide to post in it for the longest imaginable time.
Quote:

Recall back to the first volume spoiler[when the idiot police academy grandson decided to do some "policework" and asked Tohru whether the three guys she was staying with did anything "improper". Then grandpa slapped him in the face, which I think was THE MOST proper thing to do there. What I'm not getting is why though Grandpa Honda is a great guy, that he and Katsuya didn't seem to get along. Grandpa knew what Tohru was going through, he happens to be a former teacher as well.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="fighterholic"]
LydiaDianne wrote:
BTW - Here's the one that I think is the most powerful one in the anime section...

Quote:

Umm, yes. I have known that for quite some time now.

Quote:

Yeah, when it ends, or gets close to it, American Fruits Basket fans are going to be crazy. And we'll probably have no problem reviving this thread, unless we just decide to post in it for the longest imaginable time.
Quote:

Recall back to the first volume spoiler[when the idiot police academy grandson decided to do some "policework" and asked Tohru whether the three guys she was staying with did anything "improper". Then grandpa slapped him in the face, which I think was THE MOST proper thing to do there. What I'm not getting is why though Grandpa Honda is a great guy, that he and Katsuya didn't seem to get along. Grandpa knew what Tohru was going through, he happens to be a former teacher as well.]

Correction: Tohru's Father's Family (except for Grandfather) sucks dirty ditch water!

Very Happy Wink

As for the Haruhi thread, it popped up earlier today and I remembered your comment about this one. Embarassed
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Quote:

Yes, I thought about that myself.
And I have another question about him too. spoiler[Why has he left Tohru alone? I mean, I know that she said she was staying at some freinds and that she never lyed to him before but couldn't he have checked to see where she was staying, while that house was on renovation? I mean, she lived in a tent for almost two weeks before being discovered by Yuki and Shigure. I never understood this.]
As for him and Katsuya, I think the trouble was spoiler[in the way they were perceiving the wold. I mean, I recall the fact that Katsuya didn't want to become a teacher but he wasn't accepted to say "no" unless h would try to be one. Perhaps he had to do this so as to please his father.... They seemed to be very affected by the death of Katsuya's mom. People get along with pain in different ways.]

LydiaDianne wrote:
Quote:
Correction: Tohru's Father's Family (except for Grandfather) sucks dirty ditch water!

Laughing Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Tohru spoiler[wanted to be a bother to him. She's always been that way. And she probably seemed like a mature enough person to him, though remember he did ask Kyo back in volume 17 to talk to her and see how she's doing. Being the only real NICE blood relative that she has, I get the feeling that he knows what's right and what might be wrong. You never know how genetics and DNA can connect someone.]
I wonder when I'll be able to view chapter 135. Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I don't think Tohru spoiler[wanted to be a bother to him. She's always been that way. And she probably seemed like a mature enough person to him, though remember he did ask Kyo back in volume 17 to talk to her and see how she's doing. Being the only real NICE blood relative that she has, I get the feeling that he knows what's right and what might be wrong. You never know how genetics and DNA can connect someone.]
I wonder when I'll be able to view chapter 135. Wink

Yes, I know that she didn't want spoiler[to be a bother to him, but to tell you the truth I think that he mishandled the whole situation. On the other hand if he was really that carrying, Tohru probably never have moved with the Sohmas and the rest of the story wouldn't have existed. Smile But indirectly, I think that he took care of her, not only in that scene that you mentioned but also he was the one that pushed Yuki to talk to Kyo after Tohru got into hospital.]
Hopefully, you'll take a look at chapter 135 really soon. Smile Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Yes, I know that she didn't want spoiler[to be a bother to him, but to tell you the truth I think that he mishandled the whole situation. On the other hand if he was really that carrying, Tohru probably never have moved with the Sohmas and the rest of the story wouldn't have existed. Smile But indirectly, I think that he took care of her, not only in that scene that you mentioned but also he was the one that pushed Yuki to talk to Kyo after Tohru got into hospital.]
Hopefully, you'll take a look at chapter 135 really soon. Smile Wink

I'd have to look back at that just to make sure but come to think of it you're right. spoiler[He must have like this psychological connection to her or something. She's obviously gotten to the point now where she can be independant of him, although I think she went through that ritual two years before. Now he's got the rest of the family to look aftr him in his old age, even though they're not as wise as him.]
Question: Do you think Shigure spoiler[will continue writing novels now? And don't you think it's funny what the content of his novels are?] Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Question: Do you think Shigure spoiler[will continue writing novels now? And don't you think it's funny what the content of his novels are?] Wink

Laughing I totally forgot about spoiler[ Shigure's novels. Smile Hopefully, he will not quit writing them but I'm afraid that he wouldn't have the same editor. Remeber that Akito thought that Shigure slept with his editor? So something tells me that he would need a new one. Smile ]
On the other hand, I think that now his situation is a little tricky. From what I understood from chapter 132 spoiler[he will be with Akito and therefore they will officiallly form a pair. Now, as one of the heads of the Sohma family I think that he might turn out to be a little respectable and this would mean to quit to his novels. Smile Wink ]
About the content.... Yes, really funny. Wink But I remember the interest with which at some point spoiler[Hana-chan was reading his novels. Laughing ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
Gee whiz, who would've thought spoiler[that HE'd be one of the heads of the Sohma clan? And yes, it was funny seeing Hanachan reading his novels, plus the fact that the title he had for it was numbered, meaning part 2? I'm surprised Mitchan was able to be his editor with the stuff he was writing about, too. Not to mention his mean but funny to us treatment of her] Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Gee whiz, who would've thought spoiler[that HE'd be one of the heads of the Sohma clan? And yes, it was funny seeing Hanachan reading his novels, plus the fact that the title he had for it was numbered, meaning part 2? I'm surprised Mitchan was able to be his editor with the stuff he was writing about, too. Not to mention his mean but funny to us treatment of her] Laughing

Mitchan was a saint. Laughing spoiler[The things that Shigure did to her sometimes, I wonder even now how she kept her mind in one piece. Remember the time when they went at that house in the country to protect Hatori from founding out about Kana's marriage? Even that far away he still had time to torment her. Smile ] But from what I understood back then spoiler[he didn't write only this kind of novels, though I believe he had some decent earnings. Wink ]
Btw, I just saw on another thread that the favourite character of a person was Shigure. Very Happy I'm shocked. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
I think Shigure for a time has been my favorite character and still is. Not based on the anime however, but more of the manga personality, even with the dark turn that he makes. He doesn't tell anybody the truth, though Hatori and at times Akito seemed to have seen through his deceptiveness.
On top of Shigure, my favorite female FB character is probably Kisa, with Rin as a close second. Kisa is very cute but also is one who can tame and even bring a healing and warm feeling to everybody's hearts. I saw an example of this even with Yuki. Okay, I'm tired now, time to go to bed, but I'll be back tomorrow, you can count on that Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I think Shigure for a time has been my favorite character and still is. Not based on the anime however, but more of the manga personality, even with the dark turn that he makes. He doesn't tell anybody the truth, though Hatori and at times Akito seemed to have seen through his deceptiveness.
On top of Shigure, my favorite female FB character is probably Kisa, with Rin as a close second. Kisa is very cute but also is one who can tame and even bring a healing and warm feeling to everybody's hearts. I saw an example of this even with Yuki. Okay, I'm tired now, time to go to bed, but I'll be back tomorrow, you can count on that Wink

Yes, as I said before, Shigure is one of the most interesting characters in this manga and the story wouldn't be the same without him. Smile
But to tell you the truth, though it may seem like I expected this my favourite character is Tohru. For who she is, for who she might be, for all the things she had been to the other people in the manga. I admire her kindness, her love for people, for the way in which she senses how to say the things that people want to hear (words that heal, and don't wound). For the fact that she has her own wounds but she is ready to fight with them; for what she is capable to do. She gives her heart fully and she is a very dear friend; and what I like most about her is the fact that Takaya-san made her to be an ordinary person, without any special powers other than the ones that she has inside her heart. She is a warm character and this is what I enjoy most in her.
Go to rest now. See you tomorrow. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Would you know for the Favorite Character Polls that they had in Japan, though he is not the main character, Kyo has taken both titles so far? I'll go look up the results to see where everybody else stood, but that means he beat Yuki at something Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:

Mitchan was a saint. Laughing

I agree! One of the funniest scenes (and I can't remember if it was the anime or manga) was Shigure had literally driven her to the brink and spoiler[she was writing a suicide note to her family.] Hopefully, she'll be able to get some sort of revenge on Shigure...spoiler[maybe by making sure his next editor is a humorless old hag Exclamation Twisted Evil ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 170