• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I GOT IT!

Called Border first thing this morning and they had it. I've already read the first chapter and I'm looking forward to discussing it.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I GOT IT!

Called Border first thing this morning and they had it. I've already read the first chapter and I'm looking forward to discussing it.

Hoorayyy for Lydia! Now we can relax; for Friday we'll have our discussion on volume 20. Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Guess since Lydia has her copy now I better open mine up and read it hehe. I need to watch the book club episodes as well so I think tomorrow after renewing my license I'll watch those episodes I need to and read vol 20. Then I'll be caught up on everything heh.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Congrats Lydia! On the topic of Rin and Akito, perhaps Rin was spoiler[the center of Akito's abuse and torture the most because both she and Haru consummated their relationship. And they felt very connected to each other.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Congrats Lydia! On the topic of Rin and Akito, perhaps Rin was spoiler[the center of Akito's abuse and torture the most because both she and Haru consummated their relationship. And they felt very connected to each other.]

I think this is a very good point. But did Akito kspoiler[now that they had done that? Maybe she felt threatened also because what they have is true love, while Akito just has the "bond" that connects her to other zodiac members. Though it kind of may be like love in a way, the bond is nothing close to true love that a real couple can feel for each other.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, if anything, there were spoiler[other people who were aware of the obvious dating relationship that was going on between Haru and Rin, and they may have seemed a little close to other people. ]Anyways, when something abounds Akito is sure to hear of it within the Sohma clan.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well, if anything, there were spoiler[other people who were aware of the obvious dating relationship that was going on between Haru and Rin, and they may have seemed a little close to other people. ]Anyways, when something abounds Akito is sure to hear of it within the Sohma clan.

Especially with that bitch of a maid that lurks around.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, think of the main Sohma house as a fairly smaller ooku. That was the ward of the wives and concubines during pretty much the fuedal history of Japan, even up to the Edo period. All the women would be talking about stuff, and when outrageous sounding rumors would turn up they would catch fire fast. You'd have all the women talking about something. Here in the Sohma house it would be the same thing. Maids and family members always talking about something. And especially if it's something that will sound offensive to Akito, then it will get to her FAST.
FireMiko-Kagomechan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Especially with that bitch of a maid that lurks around.
You know I always wondered about that old maid myself. Who exactly is she???? Some speculate that she's Akito's grandmother, but I don't know what do you guys think????
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
FireMiko-Kagomechan wrote:
You know I always wondered about that old maid myself. Who exactly is she???? Some speculate that she's Akito's grandmother, but I don't know what do you guys think????

According to resources and reading the manga, no. She spoiler[has just been a person who has served the Sohmas her entire life. Which is why she was in despair when the curse was broken, because she felt that she no more use of life in her.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

According to resources and reading the manga, no. She spoiler[has just been a person who has served the Sohmas her entire life. Which is why she was in despair when the curse was broken, because she felt that she no more use of life in her.]

Well, in any case, LydiaDianne really hates her! Wink She always has a 'name' for that old hag. Very Happy

But then again the love story between Haru and Rin wasn't exactly a secret, not at least for the ones that lived in the Sohma house. Remember that there were scenes spoiler[ in which Haru was reminded the fact that he always tried to express his love openly and that Rin always told him to stop because Akito might see and get angry, an argument that later Akito takes to her advantage making Haru feel guilty. ]

The fact remains that their love story wasn't a very secret one, especially since Haru has always proved himself very protective towards Rin. Akito must have hated that as well. spoiler[In spite of the fact that she keeps Kureno close to her and there are all those people serving her and her power to gather all the jyuunishi, she feels lonely because the only man that she really wants (let's not be fooled, she terribly wants Shigure) isn't there for her, while Rin always has Haru even in her worst days. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Rin kind of caught herself in the middle of it all. And it's possible that spoiler[from a standpoint it was all imposed on her. Haru really loved her, but was he really doing it for the both of them? Was he thinking of the dangers he was putting her through? And where his cow instincts came was he didn't realize why she had wanted to break up with him and all the other things that didn't ensue. And then on the other side she has Akito to deal, a little TOO much.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Rin is close to Akitospoiler[ in point of age. There's nothing menacing about Kisa yet (she's only ten years old, if I am not mistaken in this one as well Embarassed ); as for Kagura, well, in Akito's eyes she seems meaningless, the type of girl that wouldn't attract any man because of her violent character. But all the other jyuunishi are male and somehow Akito tries to control their love life in a very restrictive manner. I think it was Shigure who says that Akito doesn't bother (or something like that) being perceived as a male but at the same time she is quick in using her female charms. ] The only other female who could do that as well spoiler[ using her female charms] would be Rin.

i know that quote goes back a little, but Kaguraspoiler[is actually the older than Rin. and if my guess is correct, she's about a year younger than Akito. so i think it hads less to do with age and more to do with the girls themselves.]

as for the hag(future spoilers)spoiler[as we've said, she lived her whole life serving the head's of family, than Akira and then Akito. she views the heirs very highly, which is why she couldn't stand seeing a lowly maid like Ren become Akira's wife. or maybe it was because she herself had not had that happen. at that point though, Akito was born and ther older maids rejoiced because they knew that Ren would no longer have any power in the household, and they could go b ack to the way it was when it was just Akira. The witch's problem is that she can't let go of the past, or she refuses to at least. The juniishi and Akito are lucky in her eyes because they are still young, and they still have the chance to lead a different path of life. but she has already gone through her life, who knows how old she is. i have a little sympathy for her in this case but a do still hate her for not just slapping Akito years before. ]

and how many of you plan to buy Takaya's other series when Tokyopop releases them?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
and how many of you plan to buy Takaya's other series when Tokyopop releases them?

Well, I already have all of them, so I'm excluded from this one. Although I would love for Tokyopop to release the Tsubasa: Those with Wings novels, and then I would buy those.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
suna_suna wrote:

Well, I already have all of them, so I'm excluded from this one. Although I would love for Tokyopop to release the Tsubasa: Those with Wings novels, and then I would buy those.

OOOH! Me me me! But don't let me forget. Okay? Promise?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 145 of 170