• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Do you guys remember when spoiler[those yankee middle schoolers tried to challenge Arisa back in the day? They were going to try and make a name for themselves by taking her on but their plan backfired, for one thing they were overcome by the beauty and manliness of Kyo and Yuki, and when Arisa gave them a piece of her mind, they changed their ways and became good students.]

Oh, yes, I remember that scene. I liked it too (no wonder Wink ). But really now: it was funny the way spoiler[they were so stubborn and they wanted to prove that they are better than Arisa and that they can make a name of their own. But then they see Kyo and Yuki.... Laughing Beauty prevailed! Laughing I don't know which character said at some point that the Sohma family had a thing for beauty and this scene proved it well enough. Very Happy ]
Now, I didn't know that Takaya-san wanted to write some more things about these girls. It's a pity though that she hasn't managed to do so.
Btw, fighterholic (cause you're the only one here that has read chapter 134 Smile ) I wanted to ask you something about this chapter: spoiler[when Tohru finally finishes the exam Mayu asks her at some point if something had happened in the Sohma house because they or he seemed to be so happy. But when asked if she meant Yuki or Kyo, Mayu became really scared and she said somehting like "yes, yes, I meant them". Remember that scene? Do you think that she has seen Hatori? Cause I bet she was thinking at Hatori.] Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I went back and checked, and that's chapter 133. spoiler[One of the funny parts of the opening is where that one girl is explaining to the other girl about Kyo and his new girlfriend. When they started hanging around each MORE than usual, and when some of Kyo's guys were joking with them about it, Kyo said "What's wrong with that?". And Tohru was looking down, face red. ]
Back to your question, spoiler[with the mood changes and all between Yuki and Kyo, and Kyo and Tohru, I think it cannot go unnoticed. Obviously she is concerned about Hatori, though Rohtu probably isn't the best source to ask for that kind of stuff. Course, it's probably hard to ask Hatori himself either. Her best source would probably be Ayame (strongly recommend against) or Shigure (not much better but more likely be more open now). ]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, chapter 133.... Embarassed Damn, look what exhaustion does out of people. Shocked But nonetheless, I enjoyed even more spoiler[the way the guys reacted when they heard Kyo's answer because they immediately remembered the fact that at the beginning he was running from girls (without knowing that actually he had a pretty good reason for that Cool )and now it was the other way around: he was actually proud of the fact that he has a girl friend (whom, btw, loves, very much - I couldn't help myself doing this comment Embarassed )] Which, btw, reminds me of another scene which occurs I think when spoiler[they went in that trip and one of the girls confesses her love towards Kyo but he refuses her very coldly and then Tohru asks herself if she might be rejected in the same way one day (which almost happened, but she didn't understand corectly Kyo's words).]

Yes, it would be very difficult for Mayu to trully find out something about spoiler[Hatori from his irresponsable friends. Laughing But I wouldn't have mind if she would have tried to contact him. ]Btw, do you think that she might have known that there was something totally wrong with them? Because if I remember correctly, she was the one that realised that Kana spoiler[has forgotten her relationship with Hatori. She thinks at some point when being with her friend that "you have trully forgot everything" or something like that.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, I only got 4 hours of sleep last night because I had to help my mom wash clothes at the laundermaut this morning. We left at 5:30.

Kana and Hatori's story is one of the saddest in the Fruits Basket history. Others would be Kyoko and Katsuya, and Momiji and his mutti.

Then it's sad for Mayu spoiler[when she knows that something happened but because Kana has forgotten, she can't console her or anything, so the pain remains only with her, and with Hatori. But Kana moved on, and Hatori is happy with that. ]
I remember the first time I read Kyo spoiler[jumping from his classroom window.] I was thinking, "You've got to be kidding me".
BTW, just now, my mom was watching a movie, and then she finished it. She then asked herself out loud what she should watch next, and when I asked her whether I should check to see what I have in my anime collection, she immediately replied, "No. I don't like anime."
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
During the last months I slept like 4-5 hours a night but I wasn't much of a sleeper anyways. Rolling Eyes

Well, I never understood that part with spoiler[Kyo jumping from the second floor was it? I mean I was "C'mon! Is this possible?!!" ] But on the other hand we have Kyo jumping from all sorts of things: like trees, roofs, windows; he also got kicked by Yuki, Kazuma, Haru, Arisa .... Very Happy I just remembered a scene when spoiler[Arisa throws at him a shoe but he succeeds to stop it at the very moment and she is very angry because boys grow very fast. Laughing Funny scene!]

Btw, if we have been talking about fashion why not talking about some of the most violent scenes in the manga?! There are no (let's say) bloody ones, Shocked , but, however there are some violents episodes. I think the one that got me was that scene in which spoiler[Akito comes to the summer house and she hurts Momiji. But then Tohru intervenes and she is slapt too. It wasn't a particularly violent scene but nonetheless, it got stucked in my head because it impressed me the way Tohru just wanted to protect so much those she loved, without thinking at her own safety. ]

Oh, your mom doesn't know what she is missing. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
The time where Rin's mom spoiler[overturned the table and started going balistic after Rin asked why they were always so happy. Then after that things got worse. Even though they didn't show it, Rin was always afraid to even see her parents, because when she did, they would beat. And even though she was the victim she would always be thinking that it was her fault.] In a way, I think that her story resembles abuse that goes on in homes today, and kids will think that the abuse that they are getting is because they did something wrong. And they were idiots. Just like some of the other parents too.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
Another scene which impressed me and is not particularly violent but it has intense anger and pain is the one in which spoiler[Kyoko meets Katsuya Honda for the first time. She was accused for always making trouble, missing classes and she felt so utterly alone. That's why she starts to yell and shout at Katsuya that it's not her fault, that people don't understand and Katsuya realises how lonely she is in spite of her eagerness to appear stronger. ]Now, it lacked any phisical violence but it was a scene that showed the anger and the pain that people feel along their lives. And it impressed me very much.

And one more little scene: spoiler[when Yuki is abandoned by his mom in the Sohma household (cause this is what she has done: she has abandoned her child Shocked ) and Akito starts to yell at some point that nobody gives a damn about him and that she was the only one that takes care of him. It was horrible because Akito said some horrible things, which had a great impact on Yuki. I think that she even beats him (I'm not sure) and she tells him that he has been abandoned by all. ]It seemed to me to be a particular cruel scene. Sad

As I said before, there are few parents in this manga that deserve to be called parents. Most of them seem to be just some monsters that can hardly understand the way a child feels when cruel words are said to him/ her. They have no respect for anything related to them and it got me really angry especially because it may be that parents like them exist also in the real world, which is a horrible thought to grasp. On the other hand Kazuma seems to be the healer of the children almost destroyed by their parents.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
As I said before, there are few parents in this manga that deserve to be called parents. Most of them seem to be just some monsters that can hardly understand the way a child feels when cruel words are said to him/ her. They have no respect for anything related to them and it got me really angry especially because it may be that parents like them exist also in the real world, which is a horrible thought to grasp. On the other hand Kazuma seems to be the healer of the children almost destroyed by their parents.

I think that it's been said before on this thread, but I think that Hana-chan has the best, "normal" and most loving parents out of everyone. At least parents that are alive, of course.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that it's been said before on this thread, but I think that Hana-chan has the best, "normal" and most loving parents out of everyone. At least parents that are alive, of course.

Oh, I think Ritsu, Hiro and Kisa all have loving parents as well. They've had themselves worried about, but nothing to the extreme of what we've seen with the other members of the Zodiac.
Page 21!!
BTW, aya_honda, I've counted how many times we've both posted in this thread. YOu have 115 posts, and this is my 116th post Wink I'll probably do a count of everybody at some time and post it.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
115 posts?! Twisted Evil I've gone wild. Wink
Laughing

Parents.... difficult topic this one. There are some extremes in this manga. We have the parents that practically destroy the lives of their children and ruin any hopes of normal life. Rin is the best examples but however there are some characters that really impress through their story.

One of them would be Kyo's parents. spoiler[His mother is unable to accept him the way he is and his father is a monster that couldn't face his responsibility in the death of his wife and blames the child. ] Another one that really impressed me quite a lot is related to Machi's parents. spoiler[I mean, how could they believe that she would be capable of harming her little brother and treat her like she was some kind of freak?! That almost destroyed any chance of her having any normal feelings towards anyone. She was lucky that she met Yuki who better understands her.] And lastly, but not finally Wink would be Kyoko's parents spoiler[who were unable to comprehend the loneliness of their daughter and they couldn't or wouldn't do anything for her. I can still recall how they wanted to kick her out of the house if Katsuya wouldn't have appeared.]

Then there are the parents that greatly influence the lives of their children but in rather apositive way. They are the ones that stand besides their children and they are unable to hurt them or at least they try not to do so. Hana-chan is a very lucky character in this manga. She has parents that supported her and gave her all the love that she wanted or needed. Hiro is another good example as his mom spoiler[doesn't reject him and on the contrary she loves him very much and understands him even better than he thinks.]

And then there are the parents that are absent or appear very little and they could be called the unknown parents. Some of the zodiacs seem to have no parents at all. Hatori's parents are never mentioned, Shigure's spoiler[appear just once and he makes that funny comment about them]; also Nabe's (ok, he's not part of the zodiac, but he's in the same category) aren't mentioned, Haru's etc.

Tohru's parents remain in a very, very different category because they offered her very much love and still influenced her life even though they die.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm just amazed at the idiot parents of this series. When I read about them and what they did, it makes feel want to make sure that I don't treat my kids the way the unfortunate members of the Zodiac were treated.
spoiler[Kyoko's dad especially was the idiot. On a note, her mom was just concerned with trying to keep a good face, which wasn't very helpful to her when Kyoko was in her own state of mind about the situation. Anyway her dad told her not to come back after Katsuya died, in fact HE called her when he heard the news. I think on another sad note was what Kyoko said to her mom that one time, "WHY DID YOU EVEN BEAR ME?!!" Then this would come back to Kyoko's conscience later on.]
Shigure's parents were kind of interesting to see, spoiler[they didn't seem much older than him, on top of that, was there a possibility that his dad had blonde hair? Also, he talked to his mother using keigo, something I saw none of the other Zodiac members do. Hatori's father did come up in a flashback, though we never saw him speak. His mother died of sickness when he was young, and his father would die later because of sickness as well. Hatori took over as the head Sohma doctor after this. Yuki's father never came up. Hiro's father also didn't come up. And you're right, Kakeru's parents never came up either.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Later on in the manga, spoiler[when we are showen Kyoko's story we can see that she has suffered a lot when she is so frightened that she will have a child and that she might be horrible to him or her. She seriously questioned her power of becoming a parent and this was just because of her absurd and horrible parents.]

It may be created a category of the parents that briefly appear in the manga: spoiler[Shigure's parents may be one. I was amased at the coldness with which they treated themselves when meeting back then. I was feeling the glacial atmosphere through the paper. Shocked Mitchan's utter shock when finding that those people were Shigure's parents can't be blamed at all. And there's Yuki's mom that has tormented her son in the childhood years and was inclined to do so in the present. She appears briefly but nonetheless I think that she has a great impact upon the story.]

There are the parents that die but affect the lives of their children in a very unexpected way. spoiler[Katsuya's death affected Tohru's life and at some point she felt only pain when remembering his image because she was tormenting herself to resemble to him more (also because of those stupid women that said she wasn't Katsuya' s daughter Evil or Very Mad ) Then there's the father of Kakeru's girlfriend (totally forgot her name again Embarassed ) He dies and we discover that he was responsible for the death of Kyoko and Tohru's suffering.]

And there's even the relationship that existed between spoiler[Katsuya and his father. I mean, they didn't get along very well I still wonder why) and it seemed difficult to bring them together.]But Kyoko has done it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
NOt only Kyoko but Tohru as well, spoiler[which gave Gramps more incentive to care for his son's family.] On top of the reason for Tohru spoiler[hating her father, his death also caused Kyoko to go into this deep state of depression, and even pushed her to the brink of suicide. She was always looking far off, and not paying much attention to Tohru, which gave her more reason for her hatred. Had Kyoko committed suicide, Tohru would probably have never forgiven her father at all.]
I find that Kakeru spoiler[did not make much mention of his father as well, just that he was his father and that the mistress was his mother. Kakeru at a point realized about this pointless training that he was going through, and when he flipped the dinner table, his mother realized also, and backed out of the inheritance. This is why we have the Kakeru of today, and that is what attracts Komaki to him.]
BTW, aya_honda, our posts combined make up 80% of the posts in this thread Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Kakeru.... I really like this guy. The way he peceives life and the way he succeeds in changing Yuki makes me wonder even now. spoiler[His father complicated the lives of all the people in his life, like many people do in this manga.]It's simply irritating to see how the actions of one person affects the lives of all the other.

Btw, Momiji's father... spoiler[He doesn't seem to have the same importance as his mother. I think that he appears only briefly, no? This sad story.... I just can't rid of the feeling that maybe, just maybe if she would have been more open-minded about her son like Hiro's mom has done he wouldn't have been through this horrible sitation. I know that it's a story hat we have been disussing along the thread, but I just can't shake off the sad feeling about it.
Sad ]

Oh, and spoiler[Kisa's mother appears briefly when Kisa has run from home because of the people that made fun of her at school. And who else? Hmmmmm....I wonder how Ayame has become so crazy with parents like his! Laughing ]

Uau, 80%?! We're crazy! Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Momiji's father spoiler[came to ask Momiji not to go near Momo, so that she might not get any ideas. Never underestimate the thinking abilities of a child. Momo has figured something out, such as Momiji looks so much like her mother. ]Simply amazing.
I think with Ayame, spoiler[when Yuki was born and when it was known that he was the rat, attention shifted from Ayame to Yuki. And I don't think just a little attention, it was A LOT of attention. Which makes you think of why when Yuki asked Ayame for help in that one moment, Ayame just shrugged his arm off and walked away. That would come back to Ayame later on. But that probably allowed for Ayame to become the person he is now. Ayame is interesting, when he was young, he would say stuff, and if it hurt people he did not know in his state of mind that they were hurt. But then all these years later the things that he said to these people come back to him and he regrets it.]
NOt only are we crazy, I think there are a couple pages of just you and me posting as well. And I'm at 2900 posts now Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 170