• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Funny how when spoiler[Akito came to Momiji after they both realized that he had been released, he looked at her in a totally different view than while he had been part of the Zodiac. At that point to him she was just a person, a very small person who was just in charge of the Sohma household. She wanted him to stay like Kureno, but Momiji in the end made up his mind, which brought more strain onto Akito.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Funny how when spoiler[Akito came to Momiji after they both realized that he had been released, he looked at her in a totally different view than while he had been part of the Zodiac. At that point to him she was just a person, a very small person who was just in charge of the Sohma household. She wanted him to stay like Kureno, but Momiji in the end made up his mind, which brought more strain onto Akito.]

Unlike in the case of Kureno, spoiler[it would have been really difficult for Akito to force Momiji into staying with her. Momiji wasn't so tight to her and sometimes I had the feeling that he was strong willed, while Kureno didn't seem that way. Momiji had always the force in him to stand up to his beliefs. I like his force especially in relation with Akito. I think that suffering the fact that his mother gave up on him, Momiji became much more powerful and thus creating his power against Akito. Nevertheless I hated the way she started to speak to him. She felt almost as being psychotic.]
Gozar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
OK, I just read the spoilers (couldn't resist)....

So bassically spoiler[Tohru & Kyo wind up together, get married & have kids...& the others go their serperate ways.]

I have 2 questions.....Is the Zodiac Curse broken? & well this would reveal spoilers, so....

spoiler[Do they all split up for good or just go off & still see eachother & stuff?]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Gozar wrote:
OK, I just read the spoilers (couldn't resist)....

So bassically spoiler[Tohru & Kyo wind up together, get married & have kids...& the others go their serperate ways.]

I have 2 questions.....Is the Zodiac Curse broken? & well this would reveal spoilers, so....

spoiler[Do they all split up for good or just go off & still see eachother & stuff?]

spoiler[The Zodiac is no more, the curse is broken, and nobody needs to worry about hugging and stuff like that. They probably do go their separate ways but I'm sure that they all see each other over time.]
Gozar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks pal!!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

spoiler[The Zodiac is no more, the curse is broken, and nobody needs to worry about hugging and stuff like that. They probably do go their separate ways but I'm sure that they all see each other over time.]

Nice summary. Wink

One thing about Momiji.....cause he is the star of this week's discussion. I was always interested in the relation that existed between him and Kyo. spoiler[I mean they both love the same girl. Totally agree on that. But at the same time I remember that in the beginning there was a lot of teasing between the two of them and I was always amused how Kyo would torture Momiji for something that he did or said. ]

But nonetheless it was strange that Momiji wanted to tell Kyo spoiler[the fact that the curse was broken for him. I never understood Momiji's need to tell this thing to Kyo: perhaps to show him that this maybe possible for all of them or to make Kyo to finally act. I still don't see the real reason behind it.] And if I remember correctly spoiler[besides Akito, Kyo would have been the first person (from the zodiac) to find out this.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well nobody could have imagined spoiler[that in the beginning Kyo would have been the one to get Tohru. And the way Momiji made his entrance into the series there is no way that we would have known he would grow physically and emotionally.]
I think spoiler[Momiji's motives for telling Kyo were to get him on edge and make him act. Problem was Kyo just didn't know how to handle the situation until it was too late and Tohru wound up hospitalized.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Definetly, I haven't expected for him to grow so much along the series. spoiler[Momiji is a sad character after all despite his capability of taking the bright side of the what happened to him. I thought at some point that he would find someone to be happy with and I thought that the ending chapter will offer him something like that. On the other hand I'm thinking that Yuki went trough a similar situation when he found the girl of his dreams only in the last year of highschool so maybe there's still hope. Wink Nonetheless, I see him so lonely that sometimes I get mad that such a wonderful chracter like him would have such a sad story.]

Perhaps indeed spoiler[he wanted to make Kyo finally act, but Kyo being Kyo realised what he was meant to do only in the final chapters. I liked the scene when Momiji takes a picture of Kyo and Kagura and says that frickleness is bad. Laughing But then he reassures him that it's only a joke. I think it showed the level of maturity that their relation arrived at.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it, this is the last day of Momiji week. Tomorrow we'll be discussing new characters. Anyway I will go ahead and summarize Momiji from beginning to end. Momiji had an impact on a not so much a majority of the characters, but to an extent, the ones where it was important. His role towards the end of the series in a way diminished, it focused more on the get together couple of the series. However we still got to see what happened to him, saw what hurt him, saw what made him move forward and what motivated him. Momiji I'm sure will remain a character who made an impact on not only the characters in the series, but also in the hearts of fans of him and of the series (like us) as well.

Tomorrow will be spoiler[I don't know yet. I am currently in the process of narrowing it down to Machi, Prince Yuki or Mayu. A drawing will occur for this, and then I will post tomorrow who's week it will be.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Tomorrow will be spoiler[I don't know yet. I am currently in the process of narrowing it down to Machi, Prince Yuki or Mayu. A drawing will occur for this, and then I will post tomorrow who's week it will be.]

Ok, can I have a say in this, pretty please? Embarassed I would go with spoiler[a girl this week. You know, a boy, then a girl, than a boy again, than a girl... etc. So I would go with Mayu. I would chose her, because she is an interesting character that I liked very much. ] So what do you say? If not, spoiler[Machi]would also be ok. I like them both.

Momiji might not have such a huge impact on lots of characters but definetly I would have to say that he played a key role in the developments of the action and in the setting straight some of the stories.

Btw, page 26! Hope you're happy! Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Ok, can I have a say in this, pretty please? Embarassed I would go with spoiler[a girl this week. You know, a boy, then a girl, than a boy again, than a girl... etc. So I would go with Mayu. I would chose her, because she is an interesting character that I liked very much. ] So what do you say? If not, spoiler[Machi]would also be ok. I like them both.

I agree. That is a good system to use. I think that it is pretty much going to be spoiler[Mayu], but I'll make the official announcement tonight/tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Btw, page 26! Hope you're happy! Laughing

まだまだだ! あのステッキーを越えなければならないのだ Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

I agree. That is a good system to use. I think that it is pretty much going to be spoiler[Mayu], but I'll make the official announcement tonight/tomorrow morning.

Ok, I'll let you make the announcement tomorrow; I'm just happy that you have agreed with my suggestion. Laughing You had a really good idea with the discussions about the characters. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
From the previous posts, concerning Momiji (and while I haven't read what ya'll have read), I'm getting the feeling that maybe, just maybe, cute, occasionally spastic, enthusiastic Momiji is probably the toughest of all of the Zodiac.

From what has been said previously Momiji spoiler[forces Kureno to act (at what, I'll have to see) and after the curse is broken, see Akito as the small and probably pathetic person that she is.]

That is why I'm thinking that Momiji is actually the toughest out of all of the members of the Zodiac.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

From what has been said previously Momiji spoiler[forces Kureno to act (at what, I'll have to see) and after the curse is broken, see Akito as the small and probably pathetic person that she is.]

The toughest?! I don't know... But what one of the toughest?! Most definetly! Momiji impressed me spoiler[with his power of making something of his life without crushing all the others in his way (though he would have had a great excuse for it - being abandoned by his mom and all) and at the same time he still is an optimistic, which is a really good thing.]

Now, about Akito and Momiji....spoiler[I don't think he has perceived Akito as being pathetic and small, but more as a sad person who even now doesn't know her place in this world. Momiji understood her trouble mind and soul but at the same time he saw that there was no other way but to be freed from her reign, which he succeeds in doing. I wouldn't consider that he just thought of what petty Akito seemed at that moment. She was finally a human being for Momiji and he realised that she is just as easily to hurt as he was.]
missyqueen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well said Aya-Honda Very Happy

spoiler[Those were my perceptions about the Akito/Momiji relationship. It has accured to me as well that they both have similar mama drama. Akito must be aware of Momiji's circumstances with his Mama and maybe it makes her irritated that he can have such a positive outlook in life when he has some of the worst family issues. In the end I think she came to appreciate his positive outlook 'cause when she was feeling at her most remorseful Momiji didn't kick her while she was down and make her feel more guilty. He actually went out of his way to say she should cherish those people (kureno and Tohru) even more because they DON'T blame her. I noticed that Akito became very beautiful while she and Momiji talked]

Well I enjoyed Momiji week (it pulled me out of lurk mode ) and am now looking forward to the next character, Mayu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 170