• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
missyqueen wrote:
I've never been to an expo or convention before Embarassed and I would like to try out that sort of thing, but I am currently saving up for a cruise I'm taking in August (I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding cruise) so I'm saving up for spending cash. . .and the whole thing is taking up all my rec money, but I can't be sad 'cause it's a cruise right?

about that hint fighterholic could it be spoiler[Motoko Minagawa? The gal who was angry at her mom for giving birth to her too early lol? ]

A cruise sounds like a pretty nice thing to me. I wish I had the money to go on a cruise. Reason I say that is because every four or five months I hear about my grandparents taking a cruise to Hawaii, the Caribbean, or the Atlantic. Maybe someday I'll be able to squeeze out some money. Good luck with the duties at the wedding. I remember my only participation in a wedding was when my mom's cousin got married and I ended being the ring boy, a long, long, time ago Laughing
Boy, it looks like you had no trouble guessing who we'll be talking about next week. I figured it'd be good to get some of the characters involved with just school rather than the Sohmas.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
It was dead today at work, looks the same here on the forums. Could this be because of the rush leading to Super Bowl XLI? Anyways.....

WIthout further ado, I welcome you all to Motoko Minagawa week. spoiler[Her passion and love for Yuki takes her to the extremes of becoming the president of the Prince Yuki fanclub, being jealous of Tohru (we all know why), trying to exploit Saki's weakness (ending in comedic failure Laughing ), and finally realizing that her dreams will stay in her dreams.]

Characters related to Motoko:
- Yuki
- Prince Yuki fanclub members
- Tohru
- Saki
- Naohito Sakuragi
- Kimi Todo

Her story is pretty much covered through the volumes that have been released in the US, but her spoiler[graduation ]is covered in volume spoiler[18]. In that subject we find out spoiler[someone who doted on her and declared himself to be Yuki's love rival, because Yuki had taken the heart of Motoko and he was going to fight to win it.] So, what comedic conversation are we going to find with this character? Wink

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
missyqueen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ARRRGGGHHH

This site has been down on my computer all day!

About Motokospoiler[ she certainly is devoted to keeping Yuki pure. I think the purpose of the Prince Yuki club was to ensure that no one girl can claim Yuki's affection. Her determination to keep all girls away (including herself) from the prince has distorted her view about who Yuki really is. She sees him as an effeminate, delicate, emo, girly prince. If Yuki ever saw that image with the thigh-high boots and the tunic he would probably hurl Laughing A lot of times people who are obsessed with people never have a chance because they almost always dehumanize the object of their "affections" Motoko is a prime example of this. When it came down to actually talk with him as a fellow human being her image of him was so strong that any real-life differences of her perceptions was too much to deal with and she choked.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
Motoko Minagawa is just one of the characters spoiler[that create the wonderful diversity of the manga. I personally think that just in Ritsu's case, she is also one of the characters that was nicely handled. I remember perfectly those girls who were in the Yuki's fan club with the pompoms and saying they love Yuki. Laughing They were crazy. ]

But I agree with missyqueen: spoiler[Motoko practically created her own image on Yuki and she just forced that image upon him. I don't know if any of the girls that were part of the Yuki's club were actually seeing him just the way he was. Maybe it was just like in all high schools: there's a popular guy and then the afferent girls who love him. They probably wouldn't go as far as to create a fan club but most definetly would get jealous on anybody who stole his heart. In Yuki's case all the girls thought that Tohru was stealing his heart; that's why probably they wanted to make her life miserable. If I remember correctly the girls from the fan club were also guilty of the fact that Tohru ended up to be the evil sister in the Cinderella play but the thing backfired to them when Yuki didn't become the prince and Saki ended up as Cinderella.]
missyqueen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
I thought it was funny that the two third years who liked Yuki were namedspoiler[Mokoto and Motoko. Mokoto was sort of a comic relief person, because the author made her very over the top. Her skirt is SUPER short, her socks are SUPER high, she makes many dramatic gestures. I can easily see her as part of Team Rocket on Pokemon. Laughing ]

Near the end howeverspoiler[ She has calmed down a lot. She actually shows growth and more maturity. She accepts that she won't see Yuki anymore, but that she doesn't want to go on clinging to Yuki shows that she's ready to move on with her life. Of course, the person who likes her is the testiest member of the SC Noahito. In the end he has a similar talk to Motoko that she had with Yuki and I think she sees the parallels.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
Boy, I wasn't even able to come on yesterday. Yuki spoiler[made it explicitly clear that he didn't want to be the prince in the play, but that he would be in it. As for Motoko, I think in the beginning, she was a Yuki freak. Beyond control. All she could think about was Yuki, at home, school, or at Saki's house. It seemed to me though that her thoughts towards Yuki was different from the other girls that she found herself REALLY wanting to be near him. But as we know towards the end she did realize that she wouldn't get Yuki, and she did mature in a way that made her look pretty, especially when she found out she had a secret admirer.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm fighting with my internet connection today.... Crying or Very sad and I think the internet connection wins. Crying or Very sad

I agree with all of you: spoiler[I think that definetly Makoto matures along the way and I think that I actually admired her in the last chapters regarding her: she definetly seemed more mature and she understood the complexity of the feelings that she had for Yuki. Perhaps she had loved him along the way but I think even now that it was impossible for her to have a true image of Yuki since she has always idealized him. But I was amazed to discover the the little guy from Yuki's council loved her as well cause he never seemed to have cared for someone. Perhaps this why he was also a little cold towards Yuki since the girl that he loved was interested in Yuki. But I think that both the reactions towards the end were very mature. ]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I've been fighting with my car. It's the coldest weather Ohio's seen in years, and my car picks this time to break down. But, it's all better now. Like some strange tradition, I seem to always be working on my car during the coldest weather. Maybe it's Murphy's Law. Very Happy

Anyhow, back on topic. Motoko confuses me. spoiler[She seemed to have genuine feelings for Yuki when he first smiled at her. But, instead of trying to foster a relationship or friendship, she joins the Prince Yuki club and worships him like a teenage girl worships a boy band. Maybe it was easier; maybe she had a sense right from the start that it wouldn't work but wanted to keep the dream alive. ]

However, I think Motoko spoiler[has one of the best "shocked" reactions in the series. When Kimi first appears, asking Yuki to share his candy, and lays out Yuki's "Yun-Yun" nickname. Motoko's reaction makes me laugh every time.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Good point, Murph. spoiler[She could have tried to start with a mutual relationship with Yuki and maybe worked it out from there, but she became president of the geek club Rolling Eyes And I bet that that's what made her jealous of Tohru, because Tohru was able to get all friendly and talking with Yuki all the time. And then she graduated. Another funny instance of her obsession with Yuki was when Kakeru made that announcement during the school festival to save Machi from getting into a fight with the Prince Yuki girls, Motoko was one of, if not the first to get in line to take a picture with Yuki] Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
Hey, she just wanted reminder from him. Wink

By the way, I think that in the end she had deep feelings for Yuki because spoiler[she said that all that she wanted for him was to be happy. Perhaps she was unhappy of the fact that he has found happiness with Tohru. But when they are saying good bye she understands that it's time to move on. By the way isn't she one of the most mysterious characters in the manga? We don't know much about her background. For example, how much do we know about her parents or what she really wants to do after she graduates?]

And one more thing: don't you find it funny that spoiler[it was precisely Kim who saw that Nao was in love with one of the girls who likes Yuki? The way she unraveled the truth was truly funny! Very Happy ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
All we know is spoiler[that she is unhappy that her mom had her a year early, which is probably the root of their arguments now. And yes, it was funny the way that Kimi was able to figure Nao out. Perhaps because he's a little predictable? Fortunately for Nao nobody figured out exactly who he liked, and he was able to keep it that way.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
All we know is spoiler[that she is unhappy that her mom had her a year early, which is probably the root of their arguments now. And yes, it was funny the way that Kimi was able to figure Nao out. Perhaps because he's a little predictable? Fortunately for Nao nobody figured out exactly who he liked, and he was able to keep it that way.]

I am not surprised that she is unhappy for not being spoiler[born a year earlier. Very Happy She would have wanted to be in the same year as Yuki Wink but I really wouldn't know how that would have helped her if she would have behaved the way she has behaved till now. As for Nao, well, I see him in a way just like Makoto: he has seen her and therefore he has started to have some feelings for her but I don't know how deep they were. Perhaps just like in Makoto's case, Nao has fallen in love with an image that might have disappointed if there would have been true knowledge among them. But I loved the way all things came out and at the same time poor Nao succeeded in keeping away his secret from the others. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that when spoiler[she heard Nao's last "speech" to her, that she was able to accept it, and found the courage to move on. Right in that instance I think that it showed maturity in the both of them, especially after she left and Nao is left by himself.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
Btw, weren't the girls from Yuki's fan club with Makoto as a leader spoiler[to steal th paper flowers that Yuki has done for I don't know which celebration? And at that time there was up to Tohru and Kyo to make some other flowers and thus they have gotten a bit closer? (I believe they have talked about what would happen if the curse could be lifted). And the fan girls had a stupid disguise..... Laughing Oh, yes, they were the guilty ones. And thus Uo-chan even started a small revolution because she wanted to send the thieves straight to hell. I think that she even caught them and they made them promise that they would make the portion of the paper flowers that they stole. I can't imagine the pain that Makoto felt when she had to do the paper flowers again. Except that perhaps she got Yuki's paper flowers. That must have been gratifying for her.] Laughing

It's weird though the fact that she has done all that in volume 17, spoiler[a very immature and irresponsible gesture, like a silly fan girl] while in volume 18 she is capable spoiler[to handle all the situation with such a maturity.] Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
AH, yes, spoiler[Prince Yuki girls and the flowers. They ran through the hallways rather quickly don't you think? Wink But I guess that that's a good memento to have since you devoted almost your entire school life to one person and practically didn't get anything out of it. How about her face during the Cinderella play when Yuki was playing the Fairy Godfather? Everybody thought he was an angel Laughing ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 170