• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
hey, guys! sorry to miss these days, not that I actually matter in such a huge place like ANN. Laughing

For me Kimi is one of those characters yet to be discovered. spoiler[There are many scenes in which she doesn't appear so superficial like she usually does. I remember that in the episode where Nao told Matoko that he loved her. Kimi was showen on the back and she had a really melancholic look, like she actually understood what was going on in Nao's heart. She is also the one to realize that the girl who was loved Nao was Motoko so I think that she is not as bad as it seems. ]

Personally I think that this character might have had an interesting place in the entire plot if there weren't already too many characters. spoiler[Probably the story between she and her boyfriend might have had something really new and compelling or what made her behave like that also might have had a really interesting twists and answers. ]

I'll come back latter with some ideas.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or spoiler[do Kakeru and Kimi know each other from before, because of the way they talk? Or is it just that they know each other's nature due to how they act? Kakeru must like getting hit by Kimi though, because she hits pretty hard with this nice look on her face and he acts like nothing happened. But they're clean enough not to flirt with each other because they each have their respectable boyfriend and girlfriend.]
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
I always got the feeling spoiler[that Kakeru and Kimi were an item, but for some reason they didn't want anybody to know about it. I think it was the ecchi magazines conversation that gave me the idea. It was the one where Kimi told Kakeru he was cheating on his girlfriend in his heart because of his dirty mags. His reply was about how her flirting was unfair to her boyfriend. During that exchange, I was thinking they have to be more than just friends if they know each other that well, especially because they can tease each other about it.]

(I swear, I need to make myself a cheat sheet. All the student council members' names are getting mixed up in my head. I just had flip through a couple of volumes to remember who Kakeru was! Confused )

I agree with you aya_honda. Kimi spoiler[seems to be a much, much deeper character than how she's been portrayed. It's a shame that won't be explored in the volumes I haven't read, yet.]

I was glad to see your post, aya. I was starting to wonder if everybody was too busy this week to get online. Very Happy

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I was glad to see your post, aya. I was starting to wonder if everybody was too busy this week to get online. Very Happy

-Murph

aya_honda has been having to battle her family for control of their computer that has internet access these days, and so have I. I really need to get my own computer, and have my dad set up the wireless router.
They released a drama CD back in 06 that had the Cinderella play on it, but it also had the student council members in it as well. Can you imagine what Kimi's voice sounded like on there? Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah guys, I also had the same impression. spoiler[ Honestly;y, at fist a really thought that Kimi and Kakeru are together and that just want to hide it. Kaker and Kimi could have been together though cause they were very much alike. I always thought that they had the same energy and the same way of looking at things though from a different perspective. Both are energetic and they are superficial sometimes or to make stupid commentaries. Nevertheless they are very much dependable. I was quite amazed that they weren't together.]

I'm still at war, but this time I will win for sure, murph. Wink yeah, fighter, I think it's time we got ourselves computers. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[They would have made an interesting couple, but then there wouldn't have been the things that happened between Kakeru and Tohru, and Kakeru and Komaki. You could probably think of Kakeru and Kimi like Kagura and Ritsu, except that Kakeru is more energetic than Ritsu] Laughing
We are about to pass the introductions thread of the manga forum VERY SOON Very Happy
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
But I think in a way she helped Yuki as much as many others. spoiler[Telling the fact that she likes him without any constraints, being honest in what she felt about him and expressing openly what was going on made me feel that she really was also one of the people who helped Yuki transform. And I found his nickname interesting: Yun-yun Laughing Can't help not laughing when I hear something like that. I would have been curious about her boyfriend though....]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
You mean spoiler[helping him to be more open? In a way I would think so as well. I don't think she thought of him as some princely figure, like Machi also. Instead she probably saw him as this cute shy guy who needed help with certain things. She definetly liked teasing him, Naohito, and Machi. Naohito the most though.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I meant that... spoiler[In a way she saw a Yuki much more close to the reality than it would have been with the other girls. In a way even Machi had some sort of respect when getting closer to Yuki and even much later in their relationship she seemed to have some sort of reverential respect for her Yuki which something that never happened with Kimi. She has dared to make Yuki become much more human and she wasn't afraid to hug him, to give him nicknames and so on... Which is what I liked most at this character.]

By the way, fighterholic, when are you planning to give us the hint of the next character? Very Happy Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I wonder what Kimi's reaction would have been if she found out that the student president would turn into a mouse if hugged] Wink

aya_honda wrote:
By the way, fighterholic, when are you planning to give us the hint of the next character? Very Happy Wink

Your wish is my command, I hadn't forgotten about it Wink

Hint: spoiler[Getting into adolescence really turned this kid into a walking insult maker, some people really want to wring his neck] Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Did you guys see this:

Announced at New York Comic Con: animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2007/new-york-comiccon/2

Quote:
Beyond manga and novels, Tokyopop is translating the Fruits Basket fanbook (scheduled for a September 2007 release),

Oh WOW! Has anyone seen this fanbook? Will it be worth getting?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Did you guys see this:

Announced at New York Comic Con: animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2007/new-york-comiccon/2

Quote:
Beyond manga and novels, Tokyopop is translating the Fruits Basket fanbook (scheduled for a September 2007 release),

Thank you for pointing that out, LydiaDianne. I have the Japanese version of the fanbook, and it is called Fanbook: Neko Version. I think that it does an excellent job of explaining things that are going on in the series up to volume 17 and a few chapters after that as well. I think that it definetly be worth the money that you put into it.

spoiler[As of right now, the Fruits Basket thread is the largest thread in the manga forum. Keep posting people!! So we can secure that position for the thread] Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Did you guys see this:

Quote:

Thank you for pointing that out, LydiaDianne. I have the Japanese version of the fanbook, and it is called Fanbook: Neko Version. I think that it does an excellent job of explaining things that are going on in the series up to volume 17 and a few chapters after that as well. I think that it definetly be worth the money that you put into it.

Thanks fighter. I'll keep an eye out on FB's site on TRSI!
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
I think that Kimi would have been cool with it if she had found out that Yuki turns into a rat. She seems to be a roll with the punches kind of girl. I think her and Kakeru would have accepted it just fine. Even with their quirks, I think that they could have genuinely accepted all of Yuki. I think that Kimi would have reacted much the way Hiro's mother did.....spoiler[squealing that he was so cute.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Related to the hint.... Wink could it actually be spoiler[Hiro]? Laughing

Yes, Tohru_San, you're right, most probably Kimi would have reacted like that. I can't picture her running away scared; she would have been even more infatuated with Yuki knowing his secret. Cause that girl was by far one of the craziest character in Fruits Basket. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 170