• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I think we have started to talk about the characters which take the solitude and the loneliness to a whole different meaning. Confused Cause I always thought that Kureno stroke me as being completely and utterly alone.

I think that what realy damaged to his life was the fact that spoiler[ his curse was the first one to be left. I remember the utter desperation that Akito felt when Kureno's curse was broken, perhaps because she always thought that the zodiacs should be always near her. I was even more surprised ] and here I warn you there's a BIG SPOILERspoiler[to find out that she slept with him. I swear that I can never understand this desperation and the solitude of the person who is forced to stay. Kureno is be definition alone. I mean, yes, Yuki was alone but then again he had Haru, Momiji and a few others to take care of him; Machi , another lonely character, had her brother and so on.]

But Kureno had spoiler[no one. Obliged to stay with Akito for the fact that he has been released from the curse and then the fact that it was kept away from the others made me fall in love with this character so lonely. I hated the part where he had been under closure for so long that he didn't even know how to do some damn shopping and it was all Akito's paranoiac fault. ]

But then Kureno meets Uo-chan and all transforms. spoiler[I love the way they fall in love, the simple way in which some people just feel connected and ready to get along. No complications. ]

I go back to fight with the fever, you guys discuss and I hope I'll be able to post really soon again! Btw, Ningensei and Tohru-san is good to have you two around! Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I think for Kureno spoiler[it was a problem of him being released at such a young age, because then Akito was so devestated at a young age by it also. When you're young, you're confused, and don't know what to do. So for Akito's sake, Kureno stayed with her, but then as they grew older, their relationship became more intimate, which bought Kureno Shigure's everlasting hatred. And Shigure made it explicitly clear that he hates Kureno, and always will.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
You just can't let me go, can you? Laughing Laughing

Yes, I agree with you. spoiler[Kureno's biggest problem was the fact that he was realsed from the curse and even more that it made Akito become addicted on him. What I always loved about this love triangle was the fact they never hid their feelings. Shigure confessed to Kureno that he hates him and that he will always feel this but at the same time I think that Akito should not have been so easily forgiven of the guilt. Nevertheless, I will say that Kureno's biggest fault would be the fact that he didn't leave when he should have done so, especially when he realized how damaging his presence was for Akito.] This is by far, in my eyes, his greatest fault!
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well I didn't know that about Kureno spoiler[(him being the first one to have the curse lifted)] but it does seem to make sense to me with what I have read so far, andfor some reason I wasn't surprised at all or felt spoiled. spoiler[That must be the reason why Akito doesn't let any of the other members of the Zodiac see him. Maybe? Akito does not want them to be released as well. ]This is just my speculation because I am only up to date with the English releases.

spoiler[Is this how Tohru finds out about how to break the curse? Because I think in Volume 14 or 15 when she finally makes a connection with Rin, she says that she is going to try and go see Kureno and ask him about the curse.]

spoiler[I also love the relationship with Kureno and Uo-chan, even though he says he will probably never see her again (so far, that might change, right guys?? Wink ... hopefully). I thought all his early interactions with her were so cute, at the convenience store and when they went out for lunch. I thought it was also clever of Momiji to make a video recording of the Sorta Cinderella play and how he knew Tohru wanted him to show it to Kureno.]

Well, that's all I can say for now!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
You just can't let me go, can you? Laughing Laughing

Sorry, when I see something of interest, I have to respond to it so I can get it out of my system quickly Wink

I find what you said about the spoiler[love triangle interesting, in where they are out going and truthful about the faults of the whole issue. Kureno realized he should have left Akito as soon as he was released when he met Arisa. But leaving Akito at the time would have caused a big commotion among the Sohma clan, ESPECIALLY among the remaining members of the Zodiac, because that would have given them hope that one day they would be released too. Shigure however, had the idea that Kureno was already released, because he could not feel the same type of atmosphere around Kureno that he could the others. Then Kureno confirmed it to Shigure.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much to say about Kureno except that I hope that spoiler[Arisa gets a good chance with him. She deserves happiness as much as everyone else does.]

Which brings me around to this. If I am reading your spoilers correctly, Kureno spoiler[before we even meet him, has been released from the Zodiac curse? Is that correct? If so, then he's the first one who doesn't have to worry about getting touched by the opposite sex?]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Which brings me around to this. If I am reading your spoilers correctly, Kureno spoiler[before we even meet him, has been released from the Zodiac curse? Is that correct? If so, then he's the first one who doesn't have to worry about getting touched by the opposite sex?]

That's right. Kureno spoiler[was released from the curse ten plus years before the story even began. In volume 17, Kureno hugs Tohru to prove that he is no longer cursed. However I don't think that being touched by Akito has anything to do with if you're cursed or not, since Akito and Kureno ended sleeping together, as well as Shigure and Akito did also.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

That's right. Kureno spoiler[was released from the curse ten plus years before the story even began. In volume 17, Kureno hugs Tohru to prove that he is no longer cursed. However I don't think that being touched by Akito has anything to do with if you're cursed or not, since Akito and Kureno ended sleeping together, as well as Shigure and Akito did also.]

Okay, thanks. One more thing that I have to look forward to. Very Happy Wink

BTW - Akito spoiler[is a slut as well as a bitch. Of course, what does that make Shigure?]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

BTW - Akito spoiler[is a slut as well as a bitch. Of course, what does that make Shigure?]

Couldn't agree more! Wink

You know, fighterholic, I think that at the same time spoiler[through his leaving Kureno would have done a great service to Akito into stopping her pretending that her world is perfect and making her facing her greatest fears. Nonetheless, at the same time it might have turned even worse into hurrying the entrapment of the other zodiacs. But being released so soon from the curse put only pressure on poor Kureno and in making him even more isolated from the other zodiacs. For example, I never heard of him before the release of the curse. I was just wondering how was he like even before this moment. ]

I also liked very much the scene in spoiler[the park between him and Tohru. I really loved his entrance: he was so mysterious at that time and into finding out that he was the bird and that he was released from the curse made me want to read even more the story. What I loved at that scene was the fact that it seemed so hurtful being along a person for duty and not because you really want to. Kureno opened at that time Tohru's eyes and I think she saw even more the ugliness of the curse. It wasn't a funny curse at all and she knew at that time already that but in seeing that it hurt so many persons and affected even the lives of her dears ones (Uo- fell in love with Kureno) made her see perhaps the huge tragedy of what was going on.]
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
Since I am following the English releases, I don't have too much to say about Kureno. Although I will admit that I was sad when he spoiler[told Torhu that he would probably never see Uo-chan again. But then when he seemed happy when Tohru left Uo's info in the fence for him incase he ever wanted to get in touch with her.]

I bet that Kyo and Kureno would get along since they both suffered forms of isolation from the rest of the zodiac.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Shigure spoiler[is a player. He's slept with Akito, slept with Ren, was Mayuko's boyfriend for a while, got Rin to hit on him, and has terrorized Mitchan with avoiding the deadline for his stories] Laughing

Torhu_San wrote:
I bet that Kyo and Kureno would get along since they both suffered forms of isolation from the rest of the zodiac.

Maybe, but I don't think Kureno could ever understand what Kyo had to go through. I think what Kureno had to go through was ill timing, lack of knowledge, and youth.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
I find that actually they are two different forms of isolation. On the one hand, Kureno spoiler[has been kept aside from the others for the simple fact that his curse has been lifted and that probably the others might have seen this coming sooner or later. Even more, he has been isolated from the others because Akito wanted to be infatuated with him at the time. She pushed him around until he couldn't resist anymore. Though isolated, Kureno was never left aside due to the fact that he has been cursed. What I mean is the fact that people never looked down on him (well, except for Shigure, but now we all know the reasons).]

On the other hand, Kyo spoiler[has been more likely isolated psychologically than physically for the simple fact that most of the times he was pushed aside for the simple fact that he was the cat. Nevertheless, in spite of all this, I remember that there are some scenes in which he remembers episodes from childhood and they are surprisingly bright related to the most of the zodiacs of his age (except for Yuki, of course). ]

Another thing about Kureno.... spoiler[I think that only such a huge episode which occured between him and Akito made him go away. I think that] BIG SPOILER ahead spoiler[if he wasn't stabbed by Akito he wouldn't have left and though he would have had the consciousness that he has done something wrong, he wouldn't have done anything to prevent whatever might have happened between him and Akito. ] Do I make any sense? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
I don't know. To me, both of them were kept away from the rest of the zodiac. The reasons might be different, but they both share that they were isolated from the rest. That's how I see it anyway.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Torhu_San wrote:
I don't know. To me, both of them were kept away from the rest of the zodiac. The reasons might be different, but they both share that they were isolated from the rest. That's how I see it anyway.

Yes, but spoiler[Kureno lived in the Sohma household throughout the entire series (left at the end), while Kyo went to the Sohma house only twice in his lifetime. I'd say that there's a difference there. Plus Kureno's mom didn't commit suicide and his dad didn't hate him like Kyo's dad did.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't really say that Kyo was isolated in the same way that Kureno was, I have to agree with fighterholic on this one. Even though I still haven't gotten to the part with Kureno's backstory, it seems to me that those two have completely different situations.

I don't think Kyo spoiler[was really isolated from the rest of the Zodiac, look at Kagura, he was more tortured psychologically as aya honda said. Everyone was made to hate him, he was made to hate everyone. Constantly being blamed for his mother's death and being called a monster by Akito really had an effect on him.]

Kureno on the other hand, spoiler[seems to be isolated willingly by Akito, ]at first anyway, but I can't really say anything more in depth about Kureno's situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 60 of 170