• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The new volume is almost out? Ugh, and me with no money and out-of-town where I can't easily get to a manga store. (Weeps for his credit card that lies at death's door until it can be paid off.)

At least this thread will soon return to life. It's been kind of depressing not seeing it near the top of the manga section. I'd started to wonder if all the regular posters on it left ANN or something.

Wouldn't surprise me if they had. Lately, it just doesn't feel as welcoming as it used to. (Ah, ignore me, I'm probably just imagining it.)

If no one wants to go into a discussion of volume 22 until more people have read it, how about a discussion of merchandise we'd love to see for Fruits Basket? I was posting earlier today on AoD about English drama CDs and wouldn't it be awesome to have the Fruits Basket drama CDs released over here?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
People are still around, but I think that they've moved onto other things and projects, and life. Unfortunate but somewhat true. But I see no reason why we can't revive this thread every once in a while, because I do miss all of the fun conversations that went on in this thread to be honest.

As far as the drama CD goes, I have not been able to hear what the Japanese version sounded like, but I think it would be interesting to see an American release over here. I'm pretty sure all of the people involved with the English dub of the anime are still around, but I never watched the English dub all the way through. How do English drama CDs do over here anyway. I know that they are existent, but I haven't seen too many of them.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
I also have volume 22 so it would be nice to discuss it as soon as possible but in case that we have to wait for more people to pick it up, I wouldn't mind waiting. Anyways, I think that we should also re-take the discussion on the couples because from what I can remember, we didn't discuss them all and we need to finish them. Of course, for the main ones we still need the resolutions from volume 22 and 23 but it seems now that there's not so much time to wait anymore.

As related to the drama CDs, I would have to confess I have never been attracted to this sort of thing and I actually never bought a drama CD in my life. I borrowed a couple but I haven't been impressed so I dropped the thing. But I think that when it comes to Fruits Basket, I might as well be tempted into purchasing the CDs. But since it took so long for the manga to be released over the years, I am not sure that this type of CDs would come out anytime soon.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
Well, I've got my copy, so I'm raring to discuss it whenever everyone else is ready!

(The big question, I think, is spoiler[what the curse really is and why did it really break?] I mean, we're not given a straight answer, so you have to be kind of insightful and there are several interpretations of what happens exactly.)

Whee. Very Happy
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
I'll probably head to the bookstore on Friday. I'll let everyone know when I get it. Maybe we can kick off the discussion this weekend?
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
i have mine to. how about sunday? i'll be out snowboarding for most of the weekend and i'd like to be here at the start
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
i have mine to. how about sunday? i'll be out snowboarding for most of the weekend and i'd like to be here at the start

Sunday sounds good. I work that day but I can bounce in with my 2 Cents worth afterwards.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I've had mine, so whenever somebody feels like starting then we're a go.
autumnsea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I found this thread! I finished reading the manga just a few days ago (online, but hope to pick up the whole series one day soon), and since then, I haven't been able to get Fruits Basket off my mind. I liked the anime too (caught them more than five years ago), so I was stunned when I read further on in the manga and realized just how deep some of the themes reached and how complicated the story was.

I hope to join in the discussion for Volume 22 this weekend!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
autumnsea wrote:
I'm glad I found this thread! I finished reading the manga just a few days ago (online, but hope to pick up the whole series one day soon), and since then, I haven't been able to get Fruits Basket off my mind. I liked the anime too (caught them more than five years ago), so I was stunned when I read further on in the manga and realized just how deep some of the themes reached and how complicated the story was.

I hope to join in the discussion for Volume 22 this weekend!

Glad you could join us! We're always welcoming of newcomers, so just make sure to have your volume 22 ready to go when we get started!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area, and if not, then I sincerely apologize if this irritates anyone. Embarassed

I was wondering if anybody knows the status of the 2nd Fruits Basket fanbook, Banquet, and whether or not Tokyopop plans to release it after the 23rd/finale volume?

A friend and I theorized that if they are to release it it'd be after the final volume given how deep into the series the 1st fanbook, Cat, delved. Its successor would likely divulge the ending and therefore Tokyopop (obviously) wouldn't want to spoil it and likely hurt their sales.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't know what is going on with the US release of the Banquet fanbook, but I can assure you that the Japanese version of the book was released after volume 23 was released in Japan. Therefore it probably makes sense that they have not released it in the US yet, because the last volume of the US release isn't out either. Banquet wraps up the series altogether, because it has scenes from volume 23 and such. We wouldn't want a book to come out that gives away the ending now, would we?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I personally don't know what is going on with the US release of the Banquet fanbook, but I can assure you that the Japanese version of the book was released after volume 23 was released in Japan. Therefore it probably makes sense that they have not released it in the US yet, because the last volume of the US release isn't out either. Banquet wraps up the series altogether, because it has scenes from volume 23 and such. We wouldn't want a book to come out that gives away the ending now, would we?

That's basically what a friend and I had figured. Obviously furuba has been a profitable series for TP and thus they wouldn't want to miss out on anything (especially in these less-than-certain financial times) from the series that could earn them more.

I sincerely hope they follow in Japan's footsteps in this regard and release Banquet after vol. 23 like you said.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I would think if they released the Cat fanbook, then they would have to release the Banquet fanbook as well. You can't go without the two together, so it makes sense.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the necropost...but has anyone gotten their volume 22 yet? I've had mine and have been waiting for someone to post some thoughts. Guess I should have posted sooner. Anyways, I wanted to see if others had gotten their copy and read it yet before I just started spouting off opinions on the volume. So....any of you read it yet? It's a good volume if ya haven't....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 168 of 170