• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reccomendations for vhs anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate to make a 'reccomend me a show!' thread, I'm at a bit of a loss how to look into this one.

Basically, I'm feeling sorry for the VHS half of my VCR/DVD combo, and I'd like to pick up some new fodder for it... but I don't really want to get a video of a series/show that's out on disc.

Can anyone reccomend a show that's seen a VHS release, but not a dvd re-release (at least not yet)? I've already got Fire Tripper, I'm aware of Dog Solider, but that's it. I'm not really picky about what kind of show it is (provided it isn't hentai.)Any help would be apperciated!
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
"Unreleased on DVD" VHS anime is definitely gonna be older than the average anime title today, most likely of the 80s or early 90s variety variety.

I was into Fist of the North Star: The Movie a lot back in the day. The movie was released on VHS by Streamline (which is now out of business) back in the day, and it's still one of my personal favorite anime cult classics. Look it up on ANN Encyclopedia. The show's a little violent but the movie is great.

Another favorite of mine is Macross: Do You Remember Love?, another movie which has yet to see a proper DVD release here stateside. Look it up on ANN too. It was released under a bunch of different names back in the days (i.e. Clash of the Bionoids, just Macross, and a couple of other ones). But it's probably one of the all-time great anime movies, in my opinion. If you like love stories, science fiction, and space stories, then you'll definitely like Macross.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
I had a few responses but they were shot down by "no dvd re-releases."

I don't think all of dragonball has been rereleased on dvd, if not I'd recommend picking up some of the later saga, like piccolo saga, red ribbon saga, etc.

Also Project A-KO (not the later OVAs but the four original movies) . Very funny and good if you are a fan of parody anime like excel saga or bobobo. ([shamelessselfpromotion]I actually have an auction running for mine on ebay right now! [/shamelessselfpromotion])
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:

I don't think all of dragonball has been rereleased on dvd, if not I'd recommend picking up some of the later saga, like piccolo saga, red ribbon saga, etc.

Also Project A-KO (not the later OVAs but the four original movies) . Very funny and good if you are a fan of parody anime like excel saga or bobobo. ([shamelessselfpromotion]I actually have an auction running for mine on ebay right now! [/shamelessselfpromotion])

But Project A-ko has been released on DVD...It's been available for a few years now. I own it myself, as well as the OAVs. (Still haven't watched it though.) You can find it very cheaply on DDD.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
bennyb wrote:

But Project A-ko has been released on DVD...It's been available for a few years now. I own it myself, as well as the OAVs. (Still haven't watched it though.) You can find it very cheaply on DDD.

Ah, I knew I should have double checked that. I thought only blue and grey were on dvd, my bad.
Punchey Monk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
My recommendations would be a couple of Leiji Matsumoto masterpieces that got onto VHS, but not on DVD. Galaxy Express 999 (and its sequel, "Adieu Galaxy Express 999") is a wonderfully crafted sci-fi coming-of-age story (just be sure that you get the uncut version from Viz rather than the horribly mangled version that Roger Corman inflicted upon humanity). "The Cockpit" is a collection of three short stories (one about a haunted German fighter ace, one about a kamikaze pilot the night before his first (and final) flight, and one about two Japanese infantrymen and their motorcycle).
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
I also recommend:

The Cockpit
Midnight Eye Goku
Leda: Fantastic Adventures of Yohko
Ultimate Teacher
Shonan Bakusozuku
Grey Digital Target
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:

Shonan Bakusozuku

Ooo, I saw this one at rental store years ago- something about a biker gang/knitting club, I think. it sounded good. Very Happy

Thanks for the tips! I'm off to poke around Ebay/Amazon!

(And I'm stunned that the Marcoss movie isn't on dvd...)
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
Shonan Bakusozoku is a masterpiece. Sadly it didn't sell well for Animeigo and they only ever released 1 of 12 episodes.

The 1st episodes is available here:

Shonan Bakusozoku VHS off Amazon

DuelLadyS wrote:

(And I'm stunned that the Marcoss movie isn't on dvd...)

Animeigo tried to license it after the TV series but sadly the rights are tied up in a legal battle in Japan. Until the rights dispute settles the anime is unlicensable.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
Also the VHS Dragonball and DBZ looks mega cool all lined up above the TV. I don't have the series but my friend does(all of them), and it makes me jealous ever time I go over.

For those of you who don't know, when you line up the VHS in order they form a picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
bennyb wrote:
Also the VHS Dragonball and DBZ looks mega cool all lined up above the TV. I don't have the series but my friend does(all of them), and it makes me jealous ever time I go over.

For those of you who don't know, when you line up the VHS in order they form a picture.

YEEAAA I just sold some of my tapes because they were editted but they had the coolest picture of some robot dude picking up goku.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Shonan Bakusozoku is a masterpiece. Sadly it didn't sell well for Animeigo and they only ever released 1 of 12 episodes.

The 1st episodes is available here:

Shonan Bakusozoku VHS off Amazon

Thank you! I've never been able to spell that one right (no matter how many times I try), so I couldn't find the amazon listing.

I'm having a little trouble with Leda tho'- the only link I can get is here, which is for some french movie? I'm lost...
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
No problem, Amazon can be a little problematic with it's listings so just ask if you need assistance in finding a title.

Leda: Fantastic Adv of Yohko (Amazon Vhs)

Note - this is the right VHS however Amazon have put the wrong description in for a french film. Leda is a fairly rare so it's more expensive than your average vhs.

Other recommendations i can think of include:

Luna Varga
Maris Chojo
Laughing Target
Mermaid Forest (OVA)
Genesis Survivor Gaiarth
Girl From Phantasia
Ai City
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
First I would like to let you know you should go down to you local Hollywood Video. They have quite a few anime titles on VHS, and HV is now cleaning out 99% of their video selection (you can pick out your tapes from right off the shelves!). It's $3 per tape, so it's a cheap way to get some VHS anime.
As for recommendations, I would recommend the comedy/drama, Here is Greenwood. Both HV stores I have been to have it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Good recommendation but Here is Greenwood is on Dvd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2