• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree on the voices part, but it could very well be the voice of a female as well, don't forget about all the female seiyuus doing boys Razz In most cases, the adaptations are very similar, but as I mentioned it's very easy to change center aspects so it'll appeal to more people. Of course, the Japanese culture is very different from the American culture, so homosexuality might be more common there (I made a mistake about that earlier, I forgot about the whole brotherly bond between bushido and, well, things that may or may not have occured between them). As for their ages, I don't remember them mentioning that in the anime, but they seem to be around 16 or 17, though it's very possible they could be younger. This is kind of getting pointless to discuss this because for every example someone gives it's just as easy to find a counter example, so we'll just have to wait until they mention if the twins are guys or girls in the anime.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
we'll just have to wait until they mention if the twins are guys or girls in the anime.

I doubt they'll ever mention Dori and Gura's actual gender in the anime. The scenes in the game where they were revealed to be boys have all pretty much passed already, and the two are really not the main focus of the series.

Quote:
This is kind of getting pointless to discuss this because for every example someone gives it's just as easy to find a counter example

Well, if all debates had to actually go somewhere, all those 17+ page fansub debates would not exist. Razz

Oh, and I believe the twins are around 14 years of age. They're younger than Eruru but older than Aruru.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy friendly debates like these. I'm hoping they changed there gender, of course I guess they wouldn't unless they have a reason to.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
I love how people are quick to typecast this show as "generic" when there's practically no Anime in the same setting. Name ten shows from which a "generic" show would pull influence from that isn't

1) Inu-Yasha or Mononoke-Hime
2) Partly connected to a Final Fantasy game.
Exaar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I said it felt very 'generic' at the start, and what I meant by that was that there didn't seem to be anything about it that stood out. Mysterious amnesiac in mask, people with animal features, happy girl to take care of guy, etc. This is all stuff that's been seen hundreds of times before, not only in anime but in books and comics and who knows what else.

Luckily, the show quickly showed me that it was not at all generic by taking these elements in an entirely unique and entertaining direction. So, I would no longer call this show generic at all. That's just how I felt after seeing the first episode or two! But it has proved itself otherwise.
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, like Inukami! (OT but love this show its so funny). It does first appear to be your basic fantasy setting with god spirits, cat girls, and evil warlords. But like what was said by Exaar, they took Generic elements and made a excellent show, which is what most anime made now'en days due since its hard to due something new with all the anime already out.
clout2k

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
This show has really grown on me as well. My question is, and I hope it's not out of line to go off topic, are there any other anime that focus on the growth of a army/nation like this. I really enjoyed seeing the progression of a guy who just got found somewhere to where he ends up as of the last episodes i've seen. On topic though although some fight sequences are rehashed (I hate that) the story doesn't suffer from the constant fighting because that is the story. I don't want to do spoilers to explain but anyone who is up to date on the anime would agree. Also I think the twins are boys. They give the all the girls a feeling that i'm just not getting from the twins, besides the difference between most males and females in that anime is attitude and voices, and since they're boys it's even harder to tell. But like I said if I had to put my finger on it, I would say they are male.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
clout2k wrote:
are there any other anime that focus on the growth of a army/nation like this.

Twelve Kingdoms. It features the reborn nation of Kei (reborn from complete and utter ruin) with a new determined queen and its struggles to become a strong nation. The conflicts featured in the series are mostly internal, but it is still very exciting and the country and its new leader both gradually grow stronger in both external strength and spirit. Honestly, I'm frequently reminded of 12K whenever I watch Utawarerumono.

Quote:
Also I think the twins are boys. They give the all the girls a feeling that i'm just not getting from the twins, besides the difference between most males and females in that anime is attitude and voices, and since they're boys it's even harder to tell. But like I said if I had to put my finger on it, I would say they are male.

Anime smallmouth Anime smile
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I like the series a lot even though I was somewhat irked by the character designs at first. I guess I wasn't used to seeing people with animal ears walking around. The animation seems to be somewhat lacking at points, and sometimes they use the exact same action sequence twice in an episode. Otherwise, the battles are really exciting, and I particularly like spoiler[Touka's fighting in the episodes]. So far it hasn't disappointed me aside from those points, and the storyline is full of adventure and fun to follow. If they only put more effort into the animation, I think it would be an excellent series. And hire a different voice actor for the Kaakagagaga guy.
Btw,the twins are spoiler[traps].
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Btw,the twins are spoiler[traps].

In the game, yes. In the anime, well...it sparks a debate which can last forever.

[EDIT] Actually, they're probably spoiler[traps] in the anime too, but the gender issue remains.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I do not quite understand what you mean by that term. Could you elaborate slightly? Thank you.
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
I do not quite understand what you mean by that term. Could you elaborate slightly? Thank you.

Just means that they're boys that look and act like girls. Recently shows up quite frequently in Japanese media (other famous ones: Bridget and Jun Watarase). Increases probability of turning one gay. Or at least making it ok.

Just saw episode 18 and this new Natung arc looks promising. Touka and Karura are both equally awesome.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
I'm a little concerened that with only 8 episodes to go we still have the characters messing around on random quests. I like the show, but as a proper RPG it really should get on with the epic world-changing stuff that gets me to watch this stuff to begin with.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
I'm a little concerened that with only 8 episodes to go we still have the characters messing around on random quests. I like the show, but as a proper RPG it really should get on with the epic world-changing stuff that gets me to watch this stuff to begin with.

There's no "world-changing" events in Utawarerumono. Hakuoro took over a country because he had to. The final "boss" of the show is a tragic twist, and most people here are going to hate the ending (badly).

But, at least there's closure.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
when I heard who they would fight at the end it didn't surprise me that much and really it didn't bother me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5