• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Courtney Love Teams with TOKYOPOP for New Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the idea of (Courtney) Love involved in Manga or anything else for that matter, she is a clueless druggie loser who is starving for attention. And i wouldn't be surprised if she was somewhat responsible for Cobain's death.

I heard that she turned down the role for Jonh Carpenter's Ghost of Mars for undesclosed reasons, sure the movie tanked, but would it have been better if she had agreed to star in it?!!?

Next thing you know, she'll be doing Anime voiceovers.. Rolling Eyes don't laugh, anything's possible.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I really don't give a damn about who is involved in what.

If the end product is good, that's all that really matters as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think very highly of Love (but I don't hate her like so-many people here), but if Princess Ai ends up being good, then I'm not going to change my opinion of it, or ignore it because Love was involved.

Especially since this is a collaborative work between Love and several other people, so it's not like Love will be wholly responsible for the end product. What's more, this is the first time Love is involved in a manga in any way. So whatever your opinions are of her as a musician, a person, a wife, a mother or a druggie, they really have very little bearing on her capability as a manga-collaborator.
tekkaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
Coutney Love might not be the best person around, but l said we wait till the manga is out.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:10 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
So whatever your opinions are of her as a musician, a person, a wife, a mother or a druggie, they really have very little bearing on her capability as a manga-collaborator.
Be that as it may, but only if she's coherent while providing creative input for the said Manga.

But i'll hold off my opinions (prejudicial or no) until the actual product appears on the shelves.

Nuff Said!
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Allright, so this thing was released on Tuesday...any word? Anyone read it? Good? Bad?

SOrry to dreadge up dead threads.....but inquiring minds NEED to know....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I thumbed through a copy of Vol. 1 while I was at AX, and while the art was well-executed, the story was very ordinary. It's your basic stranger-in-a-strange-land premise, where Ai is this alien character who just happens to take the guise of a gorgeous woman. And then any passers-by who notice her comment on how hott she is. This continues for 150 pages.

(Okay, so I probably over-simplified a LOT, but this comic isn't exactly deep philosophical fodder)

As for credits and who did what, I think it goes something like this:
Courtney Love - concept. I have no idea why her name gets top billing, since she did about 10% of the actual work on this. It's like crediting the "I, Robot" movie to Isaac Asimov when it has nothing to do with his work.
DJ Milky - story and script, I think. A stage name for Stuart J. Levy, CEO of Tokyopop, who likes to do music production and write his own anime/manga-ish stories in his spare time.
Ai Yazawa - character designs, and I'm assuming, costume designs as well. Didn't draw the pages themselves.
Misaho Kujiradou - principal artist. Did the most of the actual work on this title.
aisasami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I took a lookat at it at the Comic Book Store and got a sneek peak, I really think its good. But, I need to read the whole thing to get a opnion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kawaii Moon Kitty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
I don't like the idea of (Courtney) Love involved in Manga or anything else for that matter, she is a clueless druggie loser who is starving for attention.

I don't think I'd go THAT far about disliking Courtney Love, though I really don't care for her, but you do have a point. Courtney Love having an involvement in manga is like treading into a weird danger zone with about a million warning or danger signs surrounding that all say 'Danger! Go Back!' Love and manga is not too good the combo, it's like vinegar and water, though you don't know how well the manga will be executed unless you pick up a copy and read it, it's still a scary thought to imagine Love and manga.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Coutney Love manga consultant what's next The Jerry Springer show becomes a musical or two of the stars of a popular Sci-fi movie from the '80s become goveners of two difwernt states states (oh yeah this my 100th post)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
lucky13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I once read a Courtney Love quote in a punk zine that said "Madonna copies everything I do." I found it humorous at the time, no one knew who Hole was and Nirvana had just hit MTV.

Now Madonna has anime in her videos and Courtney Love has her own manga. How bizarre.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Madonna has anime in her videos?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Tempest: Actually, it kind of bothers me that impressionable young girls who read her manga will think her idiotic antics are appropriate. And you know Tokyopop's going to have to cover its arse from an inevitable backlash from parent groups.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tempest: Actually, it kind of bothers me that impressionable young girls who read her manga will think her idiotic antics are appropriate. And you know Tokyopop's going to have to cover its arse from an inevitable backlash from parent groups.

I'm sorry, I'm not Tempest, but...

The manga has no "idiotic antics" in it. Ai has amnesia, loves fashion, and loves to sing. Yes, yes...I sense backlash from that. People need to learn to separate the manga from the person.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
You're talking about a person who probably can't even separate fantasy from reality herself. And you expect her fans to do that?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You're talking about a person who probably can't even separate fantasy from reality herself. And you expect her fans to do that?

I don't really understand what you're getting at. Ai does have parallels with Courtney in that they're both singers and have blonde hair. However, the separating "fantasy from reality"...what is there to separate? The manga is harmless. The most it'll do is cause girls to run out and try to be a singer or try and write a manga. If I'm missing the point, please show it to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6