• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Courtney Love Teams with TOKYOPOP for New Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote
lucky13 wrote:
At least Courtney Love and/or Tokyopop hired Yazawa Ai as a character designer for Princess Ai to make it a little more authentic.

I don't think Ai Yazawa had much to do with the book except for a couple of sketches. As far as autenticity goes, the book was published in Japan before it was published here.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
and call it his own and most people wouldn't care because they don't WANT to watch those moldy, old, low-budget piles you seem to revere so much. Tarantino's films are entertaining and amusing and believe it or not, THAT is what matters,

I happen to like City on Fire.

Quote:
Gung Soy Hoo-Park

This from the guy that got me to stop people from using "gay" to mean "stupid."

I agree with your sentiment, about Gatsu's endless tirade, but believe it or not, a lot of people do care about Hong Kong cinema. When you talk about it that way, you come off like the various people that spoke ill of Anime 5 years ago. "No one want's to watch cruddy Japanese cartoons by Osama Nagasaki Zuki - who cares if Walt watched Jungle Emperor before making Kimba?"

-t
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Quote:
Gung Soy Hoo-Park

This from the guy that got me to stop people from using "gay" to mean "stupid."

I agree with your sentiment, about Gatsu's endless tirade, but believe it or not, a lot of people do care about Hong Kong cinema. When you talk about it that way, you come off like the various people that spoke ill of Anime 5 years ago. "No one want's to watch cruddy Japanese cartoons by Osama Nagasaki Zuki - who cares if Walt watched Jungle Emperor before making Kimba?"

-t

If you're suggesting that there's going to be a huge explosion in Asian cinema and it'll somehow reach critical mass like anime has and oh man I'll be eating my words some day, I disagree. I think the market for Hong Kong action cinema is and will always be very small in America and Tarantino's films are essentially a distilled form of them, digestible by Americans and frankly, I think they're better. And most people will agree with me.

As for Gung Soy Hoo-Park, there was no malicious intent, I just flew with the first Asian-sounding director's name I could think of. Now that I look at it, Gung Soy apparently had Chinese and Korean parents. Which isn't a bad thing. I'll be more accurate when randomly chosing an ethnic name in the future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If you're suggesting that there's going to be a huge explosion in Asian cinema and it'll somehow reach critical mass like anime has and oh man I'll be eating my words some day

Not at all. I wish it were the case, but I think that HK cinema is, at best, going to remain stagnant.

I do think that we will see a bit more inroads from Asian Cinema, particularly South Korea, which is going through a cinematic boom right now, but I don't expect to see any sort of explosive worldwide growth of a market for Asian cinema. But if something like that happens, like I said, I'd be quite happy.

Quote:
Gung Soy apparently had Chinese and Korean parents.

Laff :-)

And Soya Sauce ^.^;

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I really don't understand this. Apparently now it's evil to try and promote your product, and if you do, that makes you dumb. If you try and sell your anime or manga title beyond producing the book and putting it on the shelf, you've done evil in the eyes of fans who don't need to be promoted to since they slavishly read release lists and watch news sites and read scanslations of things before they hit the shelves.

Except that attitude makes absolutely no sense if you think about what you're saying. The company HAS to sell books. They have to promote books. They have to make sure people are buying books. The only way to do that is through promotion. Do you expect Tokyopop to just not promote their titles? Or is it that you unrealistically and selfishly expect them to only promote titles you like in a fashion you've approved?

I think the latter part of this is true for a lot of fans who don't even realize how incredibly arrogant and foolish that attitude is.

As for not buying "strange joint projects between Hollywood and Japan", you better stay away from Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, the upcoming Brave Story, and all of Miyazaki's recent films, all of which were heavily backed by US money. But I guess that's bad and evil too, maybe because it just "doesn't... feel... right..." which let me tell you, is the ultimate logical reason to dislike or disapprove of something.

I would really like it if people would think before opening their mouths. I think that's expecting too much, though.

And I would really like it if you actually read my post before going off into a tirade about it.

I never once mentioned the excessive advertising and promotion that this book's getting. The word "advertising" never appeared in my post. That's something to be expected, and I can ignore it. I'm not objecting to advertising, I'm objecting to the project. When I said "a dumbass marketing stunt," I was referring to the manga itself. A collaboration of this magnitude is a marketing stunt, plain and simple.

So, Ghost in the Shell 2 and recent Hayao Miyazaki films were funded by US money? I wasn't aware, but it doesn't matter to me because that's all they were - funded. They weren't produced or created in conjuction with the US, like this Princess Ai is. That's what bothers me, because I can't think of an anime co-produced (not the same thing as co-funded) with an American studio that's turned out good.

Another thing I'd really appreciate is if you dropped the attitude. Just because you don't officially work here anymore doesn't mean you can just go hog-wild.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:

I never once mentioned the excessive advertising and promotion that this book's getting. The word "advertising" never appeared in my post. That's something to be expected, and I can ignore it. I'm not objecting to advertising, I'm objecting to the project. When I said "a dumbass marketing stunt," I was referring to the manga itself. A collaboration of this magnitude is a marketing stunt, plain and simple.

So, Ghost in the Shell 2 and recent Hayao Miyazaki films were funded by US money? I wasn't aware, but it doesn't matter to me because that's all they were - funded. They weren't produced or created in conjuction with the US, like this Princess Ai is. That's what bothers me, because I can't think of an anime co-produced (not the same thing as co-funded) with an American studio that's turned out good.

Another thing I'd really appreciate is if you dropped the attitude. Just because you don't officially work here anymore doesn't mean you can just go hog-wild.

Love went to Tokyopop with the whole thing. It was her idea. I fail to see how that enables you to label the entire project as a dumb marketing stunt when it wasn't concocted by Tokyopop's marketing department in the first place. Since I knew that and apparently you didn't, I assumed you couldn't possibly be saying that the entire thing was dreamed up by Tokyopop's marketing department, since that isn't true. Now it turns out you were just uninformed.

My post wasn't excessively rude or nasty, I simply stated my points and expressed my frustration. I don't understand how I'm going "hog wild" at all. If by "you don't appreciate my attitude" you mean "I don't like it when people argue with me", then there's nothing I can do about that. You aren't immune to people responding to your posts, especially when you say things that have absolutely no facts or logic behind them at all.

This is what I meant by "think before you speak".
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Let's just say I only respect Tokyopop when they promote genuine artists(see Rising Stars of Manga), not hacks who killed artists.

Oh please. The Courtney Love murder conspiracies are for people who are still in denial that Cobain would do something as stupid and cowardly as kill himself. It happened ten years ago, it's time to admit that he wasn't OMG GENIUS who was MURDERED.

And not everything Tarantino rips off is an old Hong Kong action flick or 70's exploitation. Ariel was far more entertaining than Reservoir Dogs, and it's probably one of the all-time classics of Finnish cinema. For the record, I do like Pulp Fiction, so I'm not dead-set against everything the man has done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
If you're suggesting that there's going to be a huge explosion in Asian cinema and it'll somehow reach critical mass like anime has and oh man I'll be eating my words some day, I disagree.

You should start eating now, because it's already happened, just with the remakes to Asian films such as Ringu and The Grudge(the original film Ju On getting a limited release this weekend, courtesy of Lion's Gate) alone. In fact, Dreamworks hired Hideo Nakata out for Ring 2, while Ronny Yu(Bride with White Hair) got to direct Freddy vs Jason, instead of being stuck with Van Damme. Oh, and Zhang Zhiyi just got announced for the lead role in Memoirs of a Geisha. (Too bad Hollywood still thinks, "Any Asian will do", and tried to have a Chinese girl play a Japanese girl, but at least it wasn't their
token Asian girl-Lucy Liu-for once.) Oh, and then there's Harold and Kumar.

Quote:
I think the market for Hong Kong action cinema is and will always be very small in America and Tarantino's films are essentially a distilled form of them, digestible by Americans and frankly, I think they're better.

The market is small, because of a-holes like Tarantino getting credit for them and using Miramax to bury the originals. Kill Bill is just him saying, "Hah! I was a fan of Hong Kong films
long before the success of The Matrix and Crouching Tiger, and to prove it, I'll insert as many references to those movies as possible in my own films!" He was pretty much washed up after Jackie Brown and his short-lived stint on Broadway, and was just trying to cash in on what was popular. At least the Wachowskis didn't use their clout with Warner Bros. to chop up and/or bury Ghost in the Shell. Meanwhile, Hero's been delayed for two years, and Shaolin Soccer for three until a few months ago.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:59 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Oh please. The Courtney Love murder conspiracies are for people who are still in denial that Cobain would do something as stupid and cowardly as kill himself. It happened ten years ago, it's time to admit that he wasn't OMG GENIUS who was MURDERED.

Gee, thanks.

Personally, I don't care either way. Whatever happened, he was a great artist who aided in the rise of my personal favourite musical genre. Really, that's what matters. Still, the more I look at it, the more suspicious it seems. There's a great deal of incriminating evidence to point towards both conclusions, it's not just an "ZOMG GRASSY GNOLL CUHRAYZEEE CONSPIRASEE!!!!!11111"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Cobain was a good musician, no doubt about that. But I can't respect anyone who kills themselves, and the hardcore fanboys really piss me off. Obviously not every Nirvana fan is completely insane (so don't take it personally), but I've never wanted to leave town more than during the 10th anniversary of his death. If I hear his name in conjunction with Courtney Love's ever again, my head'll spin.

Last edited by jfrog on Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The market is small, because of a-holes like Tarantino getting credit for them and using Miramax to bury the originals. Kill Bill is just him saying, "Hah! I was a fan of Hong Kong films

For gods sake Gatsu just give it up. Tarantino is a good director. His movies are entertaining and yes dare I say it cool. The fact that Tarantino a lot of the elements from his movies are taken from Hong Kong movies doesn't take away from their quality. Also Tarantino is always acknowledging movies from Hong Kong and Japan. His references to Asian movies are his way of showing his respect not his way off looking cool by saying he was a fan. Actually watch his movies and you will see that he highly respects actors and directors from Asia. The fact that many of his favourite Asian actors appear in Kill Bill show this. There are also references to Asian cinema in other films he has directed or written such as True Romance in which the main character goes to watch a Sonny Chiba marathon. Tarantino is constantly making tributes to mediums that he loves whether it be Asian cinema, comic books or music. Also I have to agree with Zac, Tarantino's movies are better than their Asian counterparts. I have watched City on Fire (and for that matter am a fan of Asian cinema) and while it is a decent movie Reservoir Dogs is better. What is with people having a problem acknowledging the excellence of movies from their own country.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, man, NOBODY CARES

Amen to that. If you don't like Tarantino that's your prerogative but please stop trying to shove it into everybody else’s face.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Mania:
Quote:
For gods sake Gatsu just give it up. Tarantino is a good director.

No, he's just a good copy-cat.

Quote:
The fact that Tarantino a lot of the elements from his movies are taken from Hong Kong movies doesn't take away from their quality. Also Tarantino is always acknowledging movies from Hong Kong and Japan.

Except for City on Fire.

Quote:
Actually watch his movies and you will see that he highly respects actors and directors from Asia.

Except when he insults Chow Yun Fat's English.

Quote:
The fact that many of his favourite Asian actors appear in Kill Bill show this.

If that's the case, why are the Asians in Kill Bill the bad guys?
And you'd think that with the release of Charlie Chan(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00020X87A/qid=1090370422/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5075076-1080617?v=glance&s=dvd), people would learn to stop using whites actors to play Asian actors. But then you have Uma Thurman pretending to be Bruce Lee. Although Lucy Liu almost did a good job convincing me she was Asian.

Quote:
There are also references to Asian cinema in other films he has directed or written such as True Romance in which the main character goes to watch a Sonny Chiba marathon.

How about when he stole a line from one of Sonny Chiba's movies for Pulp Fiction without giving credit?

Quote:
Tarantino is constantly making tributes to mediums that he loves whether it be Asian cinema, comic books or music. Also I have to agree with Zac, Tarantino's movies are better than their Asian counterparts. I have watched City on Fire (and for that matter am a fan of Asian cinema) and while it is a decent movie Reservoir Dogs is better.

Actually, you're not a fan if you say Tarantino's films are better. I could understand if you said Star Wars is better than Hidden Fortress.[Although at least Lucas gave Kurosawa a job
when he became a hit. Wish I could say the same about Quentin and Ringo Lam.], but when you just copy scenes from Asian media, and film them with white actors, you get Saban's Power Rangers.

Quote:
What is with people having a problem acknowledging the excellence of movies from their own country.

If Quentin's movies were from his own country, I would acknowledge them. [/i]
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If that's the case, why are the Asians in Kill Bill the bad guys

So now he is a racist as well. I give up. If you want to live in your own little dream world thats up to you.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Gatsu:
Wonderful. You dislike Taratino.
Drop it.

We all love to argue, but let's argue about Princess Ai or something.
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
We all love to argue, but let's argue about Princess Ai or something.

Aside from a thin plot...I felt like all the panels were being consumed with speech. It was very clausterphobic....

I do have something nice to say about it, though. I really like how well drawn it was. It was very smooth, and very detailed. I really think it was good work on the part of the artist...uhhh...DK MILKY? I dunno who did the artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6