• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rurouni Kenshin Poll: Favorite Character Then & Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Although it is fairly obvious (given the last name) Battōsai Himura and Kenshin Himura are the same person.

It's just Kenshin earlier, although you can say their personalities are different, they are the same person.

Considering that I would still pick Kenshin as number one back then, but how in the world did Tomoe Yukishiro beat him? Spoilers aside, I would figure Kenshin/Battosai would still be number one.

I've read the manga (including the very short one shot that was never licensed) watched the anime and even watched the OVA's and Samurai X, so I've seen all there is to be seen of Rurouni Kenshin series. But even fifteen years ago I would have thought Myōjin Yahiko would be on that list.

But this news to me that there was any hate on Tomoe. Frankly, I am not sure why, even though I have watched/read the entire series. But then again, that was over fifteen years ago, so I doubt the anger towards that character is a prominent then as it is today.

It's been several years since I last talked about Rurouni Kenshin and I am slightly surprised people still really remember it as well as some do. For that era it was a excellent series, even though I remember hearing several complaints that Rurouni Kenshin was too upbeat for some people tastes, but I always liked the series.

I am glad to see there are still polls out there that focus on older series and not just brand new series these days. Rurouni Kenshin is easily my favorite Samurai show and was one of the first five shows I watched when I started watching anime about a decade ago.
Chunx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
@Kit-Tsukasa's post

Ok, so in your case, you didn't like the tragic heroine thing. I think I can see that.

(grammar edit)
bkatnki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
The lack of love for Misao is criminal.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Saitou's unbroken popularity! He was always my favorite. I feel a bit ambivalent on him being voiced by someone other than Suzuoki Hirotaka... :/

errinundra wrote:
The first survey was done before the OVAs existed. At that point Tomoe would have been little known. Kaoru is quite appealling in the series so I imagine Tomoe would have been treated by fans as the other woman..

Were the OVAs any popular in Japan? I know the last one was made specifically for the US market because the first one was so popular over there.

People tend to focus on anime and forget that the manga was very popular, and told its story way better than either the anime series or the OVAs. Enishi's appearance in the OVA barely amounted to more than a cameo, but he had an entire arc to himself in the manga (an arc that was just beginning when the TV series was airing). So obviously now that the manga is finished he's ranked higher. Same with Tomoe, actually - in the manga we only learn about her existence until we're deep in the Jinchuu arc.

lyransi wrote:
I agree, and even though I watched the anime series first, the OVAs were definitely more memorable. So now after so many years, I can hardly remember the plot from the original anime (much less character specifics), but can recall the Jinchu arc quite vividly due to the huge impression the OVAs made. The animation was superior and the character portrayals were more poignant than even the manga original (a rarity). Thus it's no surprise to me either that characters from that arc would top the list. The OVAs made them difficult to forget!

If you've read the manga you should know that the OVA had next to nothing to do with the Jinchuu arc. That's my favorite part of the manga and I was very disappointed to see what they'd done to it in the OVA.

Then again, I was never a fan of the OVAs (not even the first - tragedy is nice but the OVAs have none of the human touch and characterization of the manga) and was frankly quite appalled by the second OVA in general. It's Rurouni Kenshin in name only. think even Watsuki disclaimed it.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
I can agree with the now polling. Saito is my personal fave, but Tomoe is certainly the character who had to bear upon herself the most difficult choices any could make under those circumstances. If Kaoru completed Kenshin's healing, the saving of Kenshin's humanity was the work of Tomoe, which cost three people dearly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Hiko Seijuro for the wins! He da man! Laughing

PmChivas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
What? How do people not see the charms of Kaoru? She's the greatest. And no love for Misao? Come on, people, this should have been a slam dunk.

QFT!! I love Kaoru and I can't believe more people didn't love as well. She's the reason why I started writing RK fanfics when I was younger. I felt she wasn't given enough respect in the anime and I felt her relationship with Kenshin (my least favorite character at the time) somewhat glossed over and given to fans as a bone. I refuse to mention that horrible, horrible, OVA-bone they tried to give us about their relationship.

Misao is not bad, she was fun when she was on screen. But I have to say that my favorite RK characters were: Karou, Saitou, Hiko, Shishio, and Soujirou.
chichiri_chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm sad to see Aoshi drop off the chart for the "Now." He was such an awesome character, especially in the manga. Anime cry

One character that surprises me is Hiko. He had so many fangirls, I'm amazed he never made either list.

As for Kaoru dropping off the polls, that actually doesn't surprise me if you think about what happened in the manga. I won't give any spoilers, but in the Jinchuu arc Watsuki did something with Kaoru that ultimately lost a lot of readers. I remember reading some article back at the time where Watsuki was complaining about all the hate mail he was getting over it. I imagine that really ruined Kaoru for a lot of people...
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
I found it weird that Shishio was not in the poll. I thought he was actually a very popular character. I also found it strange that Kenshin was twice in the second poll. Maybe the fans have the same perspective of Saito.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Tomoe is the top "now" character, but I have to assume she's the most POLARIZING character in Rurouni Kenshin. Since, for people who haven't (or even some who have) read the manga, she's basically the representation of TV series vs. OVAs. Probably just my dislike for the OVAs talking, but I still think Kyoto > Jinchu.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Tomoe is the best character in the manga why would people hate her?

It's not that I hate Tomoe or anything, it's just that I find the "NOW" poll kind of suspect since it features more of the characters from the new re-release of the OVA's and movie.

This is how marketing departments skew polls. They want results that are favorable to what they are currently trying to sell.

People are directed to a page where they can vote for their favorite character, probably through an ad for the OVA's and movie. When they get to the site, they are probably greeted with more advertising for the OVA's and movie. So when they vote, they are thinking about the OVA's and movie.

The marketing directs people to think that the poll question refers to the OVA's and movie (and not the TV series). That way they get the results that support what they are selling.
Miyuu~ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Guys, this poll was done in JAPAN, Japanese fans never hated Tomoe the way American fans did.

And quite frankly, the pure hatred for her was uncalled forT_T
She is the reason Kenshin turned his life around! She fell inlove with the person she hated the most(like that wouldn't emotionally shatter you too) and then decided his life was worth more than hers. Just think, if Kenshin hadn't had that horrible wake-up call, Kaoru would be dead, Yahiko would still be stuck in the Yakuza's clutches, Sano would still be a walking, talking RAGEFACE, and Megumi probably would have offed herself.
y'all are right. What a bitch. /sarcasm

I don't think this poll was skewed for marketing, I just think fans are trying to say "HEY! This new project better be JINCHUU!"

Concerning the TV series vs. the OVA's
No.
I like the first two OVA's just for the fact that we do get to see Tomoe animated, but they completely twisted her character! Plus, any comedic relief Watsuki had thrown into that little arc to break up all the sad was completely removed, and the art, while it had it's moments, was overall just...weird. Reading volumes 19-21 was way more moving than watching those trainwrecks, and the Remembrance/Reflections OVA just needs to be destroyed...

Whoever said the OVA's were better than watching the the TV series is on crack, the TV series was closer to the manga, and you only really need to watch 68 episodes, because the 3rd season was WORSE than a trainwreck. A season of nothing but fillers*shudders* God forbid you actually watch the plotline Watsuki meant to tell. I can't believe some of you call yourselves fans>.<
//rant
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

It's not that I hate Tomoe or anything, it's just that I find the "NOW" poll kind of suspect since it features more of the characters from the new re-release of the OVA's and movie.

This is how marketing departments skew polls. They want results that are favorable to what they are currently trying to sell.

Marketing the re-releases is undoubtedly what drove conducting the new poll. I don't think however that participants were informed by the marketing, but rather the poll results reflect fans who long after some years since the series had finished were informed by a more complete, mature knowledge of the series' events.

@Miyuu~ki
Tomoe partially played a role in Kenshin's change. She saved his humanity, but her influence is what created the gap in his heart that produced the split Battousai persona. It was in the restoration of Kenshin as a whole person and not a split personality that Kaoru, Sano, Yahiko, and his reunions with Saito, Hiko, and Enishi were necessary components to his development.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I find the "Now" poll suspect because Kenshin is not #1 in both, seeing as he was always the top character in the manga polls. I'm curious who voted in the "then" poll vs how they got voters for the "Now" poll. There's pretty much no way it's the same people. I also find it interesting that Soujirou is the only character in the "Now" poll that is not in the OVAs at all. (I also find it painfully hard to believe Enishi beats Sannosuke, especially since he's barely IN the anime at all)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Interesting...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4