• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madman Entertainment Acquires Coppelion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
I never noticed that ANN's usage of "simulcast" was so askew.

Quote:
Simulcast meaning within 24 hours, the Japanese broadcast will be at 8pm on the 2nd of October on AT-X and Madman will have Coppelion on the Screening Room on the 3rd. So not quite the "day and date" mentioned on the press release - Ed

AT-X is a premium subscriber cable/satellite channel, not a broadcast channel. If the satellite BS-11 has the free to air premier on the 4th, the Madman Screening Room stream on the 3rd is actually in advance of the free to air premier.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
I never noticed that ANN's usage of "simulcast" was so askew.

Quote:
Simulcast meaning within 24 hours, the Japanese broadcast will be at 8pm on the 2nd of October on AT-X and Madman will have Coppelion on the Screening Room on the 3rd. So not quite the "day and date" mentioned on the press release - Ed

AT-X is a premium subscriber cable/satellite channel, not a broadcast channel. If the satellite BS-11 has the free to air premier on the 4th, the Madman Screening Room stream on the 3rd is actually in advance of the free to air premier.

The details I found on the first broadcast in Japan were for AT-X not BS-11. And as per ANN's description of Simulcast

Quote:
The term simulcast has come to be used for shows that are streamed online within approximately 24 hours of the original Japanese broadcast

And with the press-release stating "day and date" which to most people will be fine I thought I clarification on the term simulcast should be included.

TL:DR We count the first broadcast, not the type of broadcast. But thanks for bringing it up Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
In marketing terms, these days "Simulcast" just tends to mean that it is streamed while the show is still being broadcast in Japan, with some "simulcasts" starting weeks late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1