• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
License to rent Anime online

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parcrome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Hi Guys,
I am new here so don't quite know if my question was posted before. I am an entrepreneur who want to start an online anime rental here in South Africa. Basically what i mean is that give South African the posibility to access all their favorite and latest anime online at a fee; a bit like what Netflix and others are currently doing.

I am planing on going to various conventions next year for some shopping but my question is "How do I acquire the license to broadcast all those various Anime products?" that's one and secondly, "Who do i approach?"

I am thinking of having some kind of a server where register members could log in from the comfort of their house or where ever they are at the time and view their favorite Anime show online without any buffer.

Please assist, you input will be very much appreciated. You can contact me directly on my email at [email protected]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Justin touched on this in a recent Answerman:
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-09-13

Crunchyroll is already providing this service for some titles in South Africa (e.g. Kill la Kill and Magi 2 from the current season). The titles list should be filtered to your current region: http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime
It they have an exclusive license, those titles will be unavailable.

FUNimation has the South African rights to some of it's titles and some of these are available to watch on YouTube already (mostly the same ones that are available in the UK I assume). I have no idea why or whether they would be willing to sub-license.

I you are going to go direct to Japan, you're going to need to speak Japanese or get a translator. Existing contacts would help.

Security would be paramount. I think most of the English streaming sites other than Crunchyroll have at some point had an incident where something has leaked or been released early. For a startup, a mistake like this would probably be fatal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Justin touched on this in a recent Answerman:
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-09-13

Crunchyroll is already providing this service for some titles in South Africa (e.g. Kill la Kill and Magi 2 from the current season). The titles list should be filtered to your current region: http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime
It they have an exclusive license, those titles will be unavailable.

FUNimation has the South African rights to some of it's titles and some of these are available to watch on YouTube already (mostly the same ones that are available in the UK I assume). I have no idea why or whether they would be willing to sub-license.

I you are going to go direct to Japan, you're going to need to speak Japanese or get a translator. Existing contacts would help.

Security would be paramount. I think most of the English streaming sites other than Crunchyroll have at some point had an incident where something has leaked or been released early. For a startup, a mistake like this would probably be fatal.
Shiroi, do you have something to do with the industry? I'm just a little curious, as you seem to know a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1