• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I wonder what's going on with Samurai Flamenco. It's only a week away, and we still know barely anything about the show. I also heard that people who saw the first episode screening awhile back said it looked unfinished. This makes me wonder if it's being rushed out the door to make fall season.

#1) We know exactly as much about it as any other original production at this stage. The story premise, the characters, the studio, all the staff. I'm not sure what else you expect.

#2) It probably was unfinished if there was a screening "a while back". Which is fine. Most anime is produced very last minute. Just the fact that they were able to do an advanced screening means this is the antithesis of rushed.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
#1) We know exactly as much about it as any other original production at this stage. The story premise, the characters, the studio, all the staff. I'm not sure what else you expect.

True but unlike other original productions,this one didn't release a trailer with animation in it.That can be for three reasons:
1)There isnt enough material to make that short PV.This is most likely false,since we know they have already animated ep 1.
2)There is some twist early on,however they already screened ep 1 which removes that option.There is still possibility that they told audience not to talk about the twist in show,but that theory seems very unlikely.
3)They dont have enough time to make this short PV.Well its not like there is a lot effort put into creation of those trailers,however if your scheduling is really horrible people involved might not even care about it.
Quote:
#2) It probably was unfinished if there was a screening "a while back". Which is fine. Most anime is produced very last minute. Just the fact that they were able to do an advanced screening means this is the antithesis of rushed.

It screened on September 28 so its not like it was a while back.Keep in mind that Galilei Donna screened on the same day and that people complimented it for its good animation,nobody was saying how it was unfinished.So yeah I would say that there a lot things to be concerned about when it comes to Samurai Flamenco.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
True but unlike other original productions,this one didn't release a trailer with animation in it.

Look, I could at least sorta see where you're coming from if we'd seen no footage period. But again, they've already shown the entire first episode. The idea that a show cobbling together 15 seconds of polished footage means everything is okay and yet a show showing a full 22 minutes (even if it looks a little unfinished) is cause for concern is just absurd. The latter is unquestionably more impressive and indicative that things are well on track.

Quote:
Keep in mind that Galilei Donna screened on the same day and that people complimented it for its good animation,nobody was saying how it was unfinished.

And maybe it's not unfinished. Good for them. They're way, way ahead if that's true. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with this production though. The bottom line is, dozens of shows air every season without ever really doing any of the stuff you're mentioning. And that's because this is simply how the industry works. Shows are made pretty much on a weekly basis and completed only shortly before they air. Yet somehow because there was a sneak preview you're gonna convince yourself there is a problem. It's nonsense. I don't know why you people are so desperate to find some reason to wring your hands about this show but you're grasping at straws.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And maybe it's not unfinished. Good for them. They're way, way ahead if that's true. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with this production though. The bottom line is, dozens of shows air every season without ever really doing any of the stuff you're mentioning.

Actually no ,having a finished episode 12 days before its premiere isn't rare miracle but a norm.Meganebu,Kill la Kill and Yozakura Quartet were all screened on the same day as this anime and again nobody was saying how they were unfinished.Also I have to wonder why dont they show us the PV?Almost very anime in my memory that didn't show its PV before it aired had a lot production issues.Heck they didn't even give ANN colored character designs.Perhaps I am being a bit too paranoid here but I cant really be optimistic about this shows production.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I just have to ask, what is with these titles? XD

"I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job."

"My mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy"
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I just have to ask, what is with these titles? Anime hyper

Just your average LN title.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Just your average LN title.

Brevity is the soul of wit. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

If you're just noticing now the trend in light novels and their adaptations having ridiculously long titles, you must have been away from the anime scene for a while. Welcome back! Smile

Joking aside, this reminds me of the bands in Tad Williams' Otherland series that all had names like How Can I Love You If You Won't Stay In Your Hole? (abbreviated as HCILYIYWSIYH). I'm not sure where or when this trend started; I like my light novel series to have short names, like Baccano! or The Guin Saga. Wink
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
You can add "Crunchyroll" to the streaming sites for "Strike the Blood".
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The two best shows this season - Kyousogiga and Yozakura Quartet (EDIT: I take that back. Yozakura Quartet turned out to be not really that great.) - are missing from this list. ANN, how could you? Sad

This kind of thing already happened in Spring 2013 when OreGairu was missing. Is there any particular reason why some titles are not included?

Last edited by Ignatz on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
The two best shows this season - Kyousogiga and Yozakura Quartet - are missing from this list. ANN, how could you? Sad

This kind of thing already happened in Spring 2013 when Oregairu was missing. Is there any particular reason why some titles are not included?

'Koroshiya-san: The Hired Gun' and 'Tesagure! Bukatsumono' aren't on the list either.

I think ANN doesn't list the series that aren't streamed online.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
The two best shows this season - Kyousogiga and Yozakura Quartet - are missing from this list. ANN, how could you? Sad

This kind of thing already happened in Spring 2013 when Oregairu was missing. Is there any particular reason why some titles are not included?

if they aren't given anything to spotlight, then they cant put anything up
Yuskeshaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
Surprised that the summary for Log Horizon has been wrong since the spotlight came up.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Anime in the past few seasons have generally looked the same

Not true.

Quote:
had the same tired ploys and gimmicks

Not true.

Quote:
panders to otaku obsessed with cutesy/fetish elements they can masturbate to

Not true.

Quote:
and have the same tired clichés and unimaginative character types.

Not true.

Quote:
It's homogenous grey slush tied up with a pretty ribbon. You have the utter death of character designs, a million of the same slice-of-life school stories, and a lot of stupid visual novel adaptations

Not true.

Quote:
and you have ZERO arguments to counter that.

To quote myself.

rederoin wrote:

Calling something garbage is not an argument.

I scrolled the article up & down reading briefly the synopsis. 80% of the stuff is either schoolgirls, moe & pretty boys.

Right from the bat I do respect other people's tastes whether be it animes or anything else. But having a whole season centered at otakus & teens bother me. See I'm 24, I want mature themed animes focused to an adult public, we deserve our fair share too!!! I've nothing against otaku centered material but it's getting old and absolutly parasites the creative space that there used to be back in the 90's(OVA market) and 00-07's(TV series)

And reading your statements "not true" it may seem like I've missed a great deal of quality,profound & diverse recent productions . My question is Where ? Where dude ?

I will never say that everything is crap yet aside from Psycho Pass; Attack on Titan & the GITS Arise OVA(which I'm gonna see in theater) & a few others that came out post 2007 crisis, the anime medium shrank dramatically

It's interesting to try to correlate macroeconomics with the state of the anime industry, like the veteran Kikaioh analysed before:

Quote:

My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm interested in the history) is that the rise and fall of the OVA market during the late 80's through the 90's played a part in these changes, combined with the collapse of the Japanese asset price bubble. When Japan's economy was booming throughout the 80's and consumers had more spending money for luxury goods like VHS cassettes, the direct-to-video market was able to successfully employ a greater degree of artistic freedom for works that catered to all sorts of different sensibilities. As Japan entered a slow recession lasting over the 90's into the 2000's, and consumers had subsequently less and less spending money, studios began the slow march to directing their focus at the more profitable youth and otaku-merchandising markets.

Very sharp analytical view and I would only add that a rise in anime quality/diversity between 2000-2007(excluding the 2001 dotcom bubble which touched mostly the USA I believe) TV series like GITS: Stand Alone Complex 1st & 2nd GIG; Samourai Champloo; Wolf's Rain; Noir: Black Lagoon; Texhnolyze; Ninja Scroll TV serie; Elfen Lied; School Days...Thick VARIETY!!!

This is where penguintruth was sadly(because I can't condone insults)right when he said that anime had looked alike these past few years....
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Ghostless wrote:
But having a whole season centered at otakus & teens bother me. See I'm 24, I want mature themed animes focused to an adult public, we deserve our fair share too!!! I've nothing against otaku centered material but it's getting old and absolutly parasites the creative space that there used to be back in the 90's(OVA market) and 00-07's(TV series)

Uhh...are you aware of the age range that late-night Otaku anime targets?

Because you are right smack-dab in the middle of it.

(also lol 24)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14