• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Ghostless wrote:
But having a whole season centered at otakus & teens bother me. See I'm 24, I want mature themed animes focused to an adult public, we deserve our fair share too!!! I've nothing against otaku centered material but it's getting old and absolutly parasites the creative space that there used to be back in the 90's(OVA market) and 00-07's(TV series)

Uhh...are you aware of the age range that late-night Otaku anime targets?

Because you are right smack-dab in the middle of it.

(also lol 24)
Not every 24 year old wants to wank at pants, tits and ass cartoons.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

No, but touting your age to show your 'maturity' when you are right in the prime audience for everything he mentioned is pretty silly.

Also, did you even look at his list that showed the 'variety' of shows from 2000~2007? Here, I'll quote it for you:

Quote:
Very sharp analytical view and I would only add that a rise in anime quality/diversity between 2000-2007(excluding the 2001 dotcom bubble which touched mostly the USA I believe) TV series like GITS: Stand Alone Complex 1st & 2nd GIG; Samourai Champloo; Wolf's Rain; Noir: Black Lagoon; Texhnolyze; Ninja Scroll TV serie; Elfen Lied; School Days...Thick VARIETY!!!

Let me tell you something, there is not much 'variety' in those shows.

Also if you list Elfen Lied, School Days and Ninja Scroll there, you don't get to complain about T&A shows.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

What is that even supposed to mean? We only got like 4 fanservice shows this season(3 of which are doing horrible in estimated sales).

Ghostless wrote:

I scrolled the article up & down reading briefly the synopsis. 80% of the stuff is either schoolgirls, moe & pretty boys.

Aside from that article missing some anime series, I also do not know what you mean by 'moe'. So i'm going too disagree with that.

I've seen plenty of variety.

Quote:

Right from the bat I do respect other people's tastes whether be it animes or anything else. But having a whole season centered at otakus & teens bother me. See I'm 24, I want mature themed animes focused to an adult public, we deserve our fair share too!!! I've nothing against otaku centered material but it's getting old and absolutly parasites the creative space that there used to be back in the 90's(OVA market) and 00-07's(TV series)

A lot of anime are aimed at our age group. You just don't like them. Thats not the fault of the industry.

Quote:

And reading your statements "not true" it may seem like I've missed a great deal of quality,profound & diverse recent productions . My question is Where ? Where dude ?

Why bother?, I know you're just going to say that those series are garbage anyway.

Quote:

I will never say that everything is crap yet aside from Psycho Pass; Attack on Titan & the GITS Arise OVA(which I'm gonna see in theater) & a few others that came out post 2007 crisis, the anime medium shrank dramatically

GitS is the sort of anime that has never been really popular in Japan. Infact, GitS is the most popular anime in its genre.

Your 'deep psylogical anime' have never been popular in Japan, and will always be the minority. Find another medium if you dont like it.

Quote:

Very sharp analytical view and I would only add that a rise in anime quality/diversity between 2000-2007(excluding the 2001 dotcom bubble which touched mostly the USA I believe) TV series like GITS: Stand Alone Complex 1st & 2nd GIG; Samourai Champloo; Wolf's Rain; Noir: Black Lagoon; Texhnolyze; Ninja Scroll TV serie; Elfen Lied; School Days...Thick VARIETY!!!

You complain about current anime having to many garbage and then you mention Elfen lied and School days?

Quote:

This is where penguintruth was sadly(because I can't condone insults)right when he said that anime had looked alike these past few years....

And that is where he is wrong, if he actually watched all the series instead of just looking at the covers.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

No, but touting your age to show your 'maturity' when you are right in the prime audience for everything he mentioned is pretty silly.

Age has nothing to do with maturity in the first place. You can have a teenager craving for "gore" stuff & "Oyaji Otaku" in their late thirties desiring some FS. I just stated my age out of the blue.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, did you even look at his list that showed the 'variety' of shows from 2000~2007? Here, I'll quote it for you:

Quote:

Let me tell you something, there is not much 'variety' in those shows.

It's true that BL & School days are very much alike. Yup.

Quote:

I've seen plenty of variety.

Quote:
A lot of anime are aimed at our age group. You just don't like them. Thats not the fault of the industry.

Where ? I'm not an expert so I might be missing shows but sustain your point with a list, my original statement showed my open mindedness

Quote:

Your 'deep psylogical anime' have never been popular in Japan, and will always be the minority.

So you acknowledge at the same time that this kind of genre is rare yet try to sell me that there's still diversification in anime ?

Quote:

GitS is the sort of anime that has never been really popular in Japan. Infact, GitS is the most popular anime in its genre.

The issue is'nt popularity. Producers somewhat catered to this genre "Cyberpunk/Post Cyber" through the nineties & mid 2000s(With BGC Tokyo 2041 being scrapped) despite the relative unpopularity. Latest GITS Arise is seemingly relying on product placement, their budget looks rather tight if Production IG resorts to the practice.

Quote:

You complain about current anime having to many garbage and then you mention Elfen lied and School days?

School Days's ending spoiler[has the merits of breaking the stereotypical happy ending harem habits ? No?] & why would'nt there be room for the likes of Elfen Lied ??? Why ???? Does anime has to be a best seller to earn a place on shelves ???

I'm not convinced one bit by your replies.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Ghostless wrote:

Age has nothing to do with maturity in the first place. You can have a teenager craving for "gore" stuff & "Oyaji Otaku" in their late thirties desiring some FS. I just stated my age out of the blue.

No, you stated your age to try and tout your maturity level. Trust me, I know. I was a 24-year-old anime fan myself once. In fact, it was right around when Elfen Lied came out and I thought it was just the coooooolest thing ever.

So, please.

Quote:
It's true that BL & School days are very much alike. Yup.

I said "not much variety", not "no variety". Those shows are really only two or three major varieties, mostly in the Cyberpunk psychological drama or the intense gore. Champloo and WR being the major exceptions, but they're not really out of line with the first set either.

Also lol School Days. Just lol.

Quote:
Where ? I'm not an expert so I might be missing shows but sustain your point with a list, my original statement showed my open mindedness

No it doesn't. It shows you are a fan of the kinds of shows the typical mid-20s male american who's kinda into anime likes. Your list is just about the most predicable thing ever.

Quote:
So you acknowledge at the same time that this kind of genre is rare yet try to sell me that there's still diversification in anime ?

Yes? Those two points have nothing to do with each other. Just because the specific type of shows you like don't get made often (one or two a year, generally), doesn't mean there isn't variety. Granted, its a large variety of stuff you presumably don't like, but we aren't judging this based on "what Ghostless likes"

Quote:

The issue is'nt popularity. Producers somewhat catered to this genre "Cyberpunk/Post Cyber" through the nineties & mid 2000s(With BGC Tokyo 2041 being scrapped) despite the relative unpopularity. Latest GITS Arise is seemingly relying on product placement, their budget looks rather tight if Production IG resorts to the practice.

Whoo hoo! Cyberpunk was popular in 90s, not so much in the 2010s. News at 11, no one has made this observation before.

Also popularity certainly does matter, to an extent at least.

Quote:

School Days's ending spoiler[has the merits of breaking the stereotypical happy ending harem habits ? No?] & why would'nt there be room for the likes of Elfen Lied ??? Why ???? Does anime has to be a best seller to earn a place on shelves ???

He didn't say anything about being a best seller? Also School Days is bog-standard harem eroge tripe. The only notable aspect was they used the only thing that made the game notable (the unusually violent bad ends) to give some good shock value. The show otherwise is nothing special at all.

And I like Elfen Lied, but its pure tits and violence. Which is fine, but trying to claim its something is not is...yeah lol. Believe me, I did that before. It makes you look like a moron.

Quote:
I'm not convinced one bit by your replies.

I'm shocked!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Also if you list Elfen Lied, School Days and Ninja Scroll there, you don't get to complain about T&A shows.
I don't think his complaint is that T&A exist, I think he's lamenting, as I, that there is an imbalance in availability of T&A and non-T&A. The scales are tipped too much toward the former. I haven't seem School Days yet, so can't comment on that, but Elfen Lied and Ninja Scroll aren't T&A for the blatant sake of it, a BIG difference. Wink
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I don't his complaint is that T7A exist, I think he's lamenting as I that there is an imbalance in availability of T&A and non-T&A. The scales are tipped too much toward the former. I haven't seem School Days yet, so can't comment on that, but Elfen Lied and Ninja Scroll aren't T&A for the blatant sake of it, a BIG difference. Wink

Elfen Lied sure as hell is T&A for the hell of it. None of the nudity in Elfen Lied was at all required, and is waaaaaaaay more gratuitous than almost any show airing this season.

And if he (or you) thinks theres an "imbalance", then it lends credence to the idea that you (or him) are just goddamn not paying any attention to what shows actually are. Instead just going on what you "think" they are.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I don't think his complaint is that T&A exist, I think he's lamenting, as I, that there is an imbalance in availability of T&A and non-T&A. The scales are tipped too much toward the former. I haven't seem School Days yet, so can't comment on that, but Elfen Lied and Ninja Scroll aren't T&A for the blatant sake of it, a BIG difference. Wink

You mean that we get less Fanservice shows than non-fanservice shows?

Sadly for fans of that type of show, that is true. Its also a well known fact that fanservice alone is not a recipe for making a show do good in sales.

Last edited by Rederoin on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't seem School Days yet, so can't comment on that, but Elfen Lied and Ninja Scroll aren't T&A for the blatant sake of it, a BIG difference.

Yes of course,let us all remember the great philosophical underpinnings of Ninja Scroll that are expressed through gigantic tits and very explicit rape scenes.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Fine, if you want a list. I'll just list 12 anime from the last 2 seasons. Although I'm sure you'll disagree with this.

-Non Non Biyori(Iyashikei SoL)
-Log Horizon(Fantasy/adventure)
-Kill la kill(over the top action show)
-Outbreak company(Fantasy romcom)
-Kyousou Giga(fantasy)
-Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta(supernatural action show)
-Tamayura - More aggressive(Iyashikei SoL).
-Kiniro Mosaic(comedy/slice of life)
-Monogatari S2(supernatural drama)
-KKK(Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku) (gag comedy)
-Symphogear S2(over-the-top-action/music show).
-Gatchaman crowds(sci-fi/super sentai show)

Quote:

It has always been rare. Thus what does it have to do with anime being different in the older decades?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
So one genre in the medium is a bit lacking, it doesn't mean it's the only genre out there. Just because deep brooding psychological anime aren't a common occurrence every season (and never have been, don't try to cramp 20 years of different anime into one little ball) doesn't mean the medium doesn't have some diversity.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No, you stated your age to try and tout your maturity level. Trust me, I know. I was a 24-year-old anime fan myself once. In fact, it was right around when Elfen Lied came out and I thought it was just the coooooolest thing ever.

If this was the impression you've had, then you were simply wrong. The things I like or not is'nt the issue here, you got your tastes I've got mine alright ?? I'll repeat it for you since you did'nt get the message but if people like cute schoolgirls, panties & stuff: good for them.

& for full disclosure: I havn't watched Elfen Lied, only a couple of ep

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I said "not much variety", not "no variety". Those shows are really only two or three major varieties, mostly in the Cyberpunk psychological drama or the intense gore. Champloo and WR being the major exceptions, but they're not really out of line with the first set either.

Well we agree then,it's still variety, certainly more diverse than the stuff we get today.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
No it doesn't. It shows you are a fan of the kinds of shows the typical mid-20s male american who's kinda into anime likes. Your list is just about the most predicable thing ever.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yes? Those two points have nothing to do with each other. Just because the specific type of shows you like don't get made often (one or two a year, generally), doesn't mean there isn't variety. Granted, its a large variety of stuff you presumably don't like, but we aren't judging this based on "what Ghostless likes"

And what exactly do you know about what I like ?? See,you use the same old tired argument claiming that I'm one of those believing everything "back then" was golden. I don't like Noir, Black Lagoon & struggled to get through the 1st ep of Tehxnolyze. When I say quality it can refer to the animation & soundtracks(SC,WR) Does it mean that I like them personally ? not necessarily. In my list there are things that I like but not like you suggest.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also School Days is bog-standard harem eroge tripe. The only notable aspect was they used the only thing that made the game notable (the unusually violent bad ends) to give some good shock value. The show otherwise is nothing special at all.

Well, this move was bold & undertaking!! Of course when you substract the fact that Katonoa(whatever her name may be lol) slowly but surely goes psycho & kill her friend & bf in the end, School Days follows relatively "known" format. But the scriptwriter did his thing & we got a totally unexpected outcome, that's why, it is different.Especialy in a genre that follow the same ABCD formula.Like it or not.

Quote:
And I like Elfen Lied, but its pure tits and violence. Which is fine, but trying to claim its something is not is...yeah lol. Believe me, I did that before. It makes you look like a moron.

My my you are very confused. I never claimed that Elfen Lied was anything more than it is. I see you started to add insult, but I'm telling you it will do nothing to prove your point.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm shocked!

I don't know what to say. Go out a little, take a breather.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the list Rederoin, a lot of schoolgirls & cuteness(notably Non Non Biyori,Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku...) but I'm going to check them seriously before I make any judgement lol

Quote:
So one genre in the medium is a bit lacking, it doesn't mean it's the only genre out there. Just because deep brooding psychological anime aren't a common occurrence every season (and never have been, don't try to cramp 20 years of different anime into one little ball) doesn't mean the medium doesn't have some diversity.

Deep psychological anime were never common occurrence or popular, but at least the industry threw some bones at us, the feeling I get now is that it's all centered toward a specific category of viewer.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
You're not too good at sarcasm, are you?

Also, everyone predicted School Days would end in ridiculous violence, because that was the only thing the game was known for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdgGOA8pwE
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
There are few shows I hate as much as School Days. That feeling was solidified well before it got to the end too.

EDIT: I realize that's not really the point though. Don't mind me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14