• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic-Con: Crayon Shin-chan on Adult Swim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
You forgot Read or Die and the Animatrix, since you mentioned movies.

However, I'd get IFC the edge for this round. Basilisk and the delightfully awkward Gunslinger Girl to probably be better than the Shonen-Jump-length Crayon Shin-chan
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I don't know anything about this show, but just looking at the link it kinda looks like another Super Milk-Chan. Can anyone confirm this? Or if it isn't what is the show like, and is it funny?

I didn't like Super Milk-Chan. That show was stupid and nothing like an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
fighter: I'm wondering how they'll deal with the scatalogical humour, the jokes about Misae's breasts, and the awkward situations where Shin Chan embarasses his dad by making him look like a pedo. Of course, I'm not even sure if that stuff made it into the anime in the first place.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I didn't like Super Milk-Chan. That show was stupid and nothing like an anime.

Nothing like an anime? Although some people like to think it is, classifying anime is not based on the style of drawing, how a show looks, whether the story makes any sense or not, or any other features like that. It's purely based upon whether the production was Japanese created or not.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Of course, I'm not even sure if that stuff made it into the anime in the first place.

Which one, the Japanese or English version?
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
standalonecomplex wrote:
Surpassed? Are you not counting Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, InuYasha, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Metropolis, and Knockin' on Heaven's Door?

We're talking about current lineups, not past ones. AS has basically done their damndest to get stuff that is a flop either because it's wrong for their audience or the show just isn't good for a long time now. For every GITS or FMA they pick up two Witch Hunter Robins or Super Milk Chans. I don't know what the heck Funi and AS are thinking with Shin-chan, even if it is just a short "test run." It seems to be basically completely wrong for their audience.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
fighter: Japanese version.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: I'm wondering how they'll deal with the scatalogical humour, the jokes about Misae's breasts, and the awkward situations where Shin Chan embarasses his dad by making him look like a pedo. Of course, I'm not even sure if that stuff made it into the anime in the first place.

All that kind of stuff has been done in some form on various shows that have aired on Adult Swim. I guess the only problem MIGHT be scatalogical humor, since they had to censor the episode of Robot Chicken with the monkeys taking dumps (and exploding. On an island).
LordOfPie wrote:
It seems to be basically completely wrong for their audience.

They've said before that they air what they like regardless, which was especially the case with Paranoia Agent (they knew it wouldn't be ratings homerun, but they LIKE it and got it anyway). Good and bad, depending on how you look at it. It's cool we got stuff like PA, but the lousy ratings are a bit frustrating.

I'm glad they're giving this a shot, though. I'd rather they at least TRY things than not bother at all.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Shin-Chan seems like an odd choice, though I'm certianly glad to see it as opposed to Family Guy re-runs. The manga is quite funny. Good to see IFC showing an interest in anime (I'd like to see them air shows more akin to their normal programing, but whatever). Hope the Basilisk anime is better than the manga...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: Japanese version.

Uhh, yes. All the humor and butts and elephant trunks made it into the anime. Plus there's shaking boobs and plenty of that kind of thing all you people call "fanservice". And believe me, the jokes are funny. The interesting thing about Crayon Shinchan is that it is geared toward an ALL age audience.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
Well hopefully it does well and doesn't become a "regional" thing like Kikaida or Kamen Rider V3.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:59 am Reply with quote
I'd watch the shows on IFC, but I don't get the channel.

I'm glad to see IFC take an interest in anime, but I hope they get more than just Gonzo titles.
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:05 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I don't know anything about this show, but just looking at the link it kinda looks like another Super Milk-Chan. Can anyone confirm this? Or if it isn't what is the show like, and is it funny?

Although I didn't watch the whole series (it's almost 400 episodes), from what I've seen it's nothing like Super Milk-Chan. The humor may be crude but it's not really mean-spirited like Super Milk-Chan was. The local channel that ran the series described Shin-Chan as "Japan's answer to Bart Simpson", if that helps explain it a little.

Captain Crotchspike wrote:
LunarBluestone wrote:
... what would be interesting is to what extent they'll have to edit out the nudity in the show. Granted, it's little-boy nudity but many times it's the major part of the humor in a scene. If he's suddenly running around with digitally-added underwear the joke will be lost.

If they do, I imagine they'll use the mosaic censor, like in The Boondocks. Then again, this isn't much worse than, say...the little boy nudity in Dragonball Z, right? That aired on Cartoon Network with a TV PG rating and no censorship when they were showing DBZ uncut at 10:30.

The mosaic censor sounds like a good idea; hopefully they'll use it. As for the nudity, it's not like how it was in Dragonball Z. Think of the phrase "Happy Elephant Dance" to get an idea. The nudity was incidental in DBZ, but in Crayon Shin-Chan it's very important to the jokes in the episode.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
LordOfPie wrote:
standalonecomplex wrote:
Surpassed? Are you not counting Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, InuYasha, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Metropolis, and Knockin' on Heaven's Door?

We're talking about current lineups, not past ones. AS has basically done their damndest to get stuff that is a flop either because it's wrong for their audience or the show just isn't good for a long time now. For every GITS or FMA they pick up two Witch Hunter Robins or Super Milk Chans. I don't know what the heck Funi and AS are thinking with Shin-chan, even if it is just a short "test run." It seems to be basically completely wrong for their audience.

What shows are the "two Witch Hunter Robins or Super Milk Chans?"
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
LordOfPie wrote:
standalonecomplex wrote:

We're talking about current lineups, not past ones. AS has basically done their damndest to get stuff that is a flop either because it's wrong for their audience or the show just isn't good for a long time now.

So Trinity Blood and Bleach are going to be flops.
Trinity Blood on Cartoon Network in September (2006-07-15 13:54:14)
Trinity Blood will premiere at 12 a.m. Eastern on the night of September 9, immediately after the premiere of Bleach at 11:30. Thanks, Mark Barbour. Source: Animation Insider [ discuss (36 posts) ]
BTW this is AS's current lineup: Eureka 7, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, InuYasha, S-Cry-ed, Big O, and this is IFC's current lineup: Samurai 7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5